Compression for DVD

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Chinese Belle

Post by Chinese Belle »

mattias wrote:
Chinese Belle wrote:We use Panasonic standalone DVD recorders connected via composite or FW from the NLEs.

do you record directly or via the hard drive in the recorder?
Burning from your computer does not necessarily mean you will have a 100% comliant DVD either.
well, compared to recorders that don't even call the video_ts folder video_ts, don't put the required empty audio_ts, and even don't close the session it's infinitely more compliant. this is not a guarantee that it will work, but it's a guarantee that it should work. some standalones produce discs that are almost guaranteed not to work.

/matt
We have some with hd with no complaints. I can't make an accurate comparison since we have far more of the non hd.

The biggest complaint of both are the decks going dead (usually mechanical failure) which is not surprising since these are consumer devices.

I am unsure about other models, but our DVDs are definitely compliant. After 'closing' the DVD, the folder structure are properly created. OS X, Windows XP and various programs all read the DVD with no problems.

Again, these are Panasonic drives. I am unsure about other models and cannot speak for them.

Even our clients using FCS have stopped using DVDSP. The workflow now is a NLE -> Pana DVD recorder -> DVD duplicator (if needed).

HTH
mattias

Post by mattias »

Chinese Belle wrote:We have some with hd with no complaints
i think you misunderstood. what i was wondering is if you can record directly to disc with the hd ones. on some i've used you have to record to hard drive and then burn the disc.

i'll look into the panasonics for sure. the dmr-es15 looks good in reviews. thanks. one more question: can i use these recorders as dv viewers as well, to avoid having to use my camera as a d/a converter? that would be awesome. some i've seen didn't play the fw input through.

/matt