pinhole?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Herb Montes wrote:Here we are:

"16 mm Pinhole Movie Camera Project"

http://www.wastedlife.org/handcrank/
This can be easily done with a Bolex using different c-mount hollow cylinders with a thin top where the pinhole is. One of the cylinders can have a low top close to the bottom of the threads giving it a focal length about 18mm. The aperture can be determined as the square root of (55*FocalLength).
One can have a set of such cylinders that go on the turret.
Another interesting idea is to have two pinholes slightly displaced off the center and each convered with a thin gel with different colors like red and blue. Would not this give a stereo effect?
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

I think you are talking about C-mount extension tubes. Been meaning to get a set for my Bolex. The two pinhole idea is interesting and I can try it with my Bolex Rx5 with the Stevens animation motor on it. The motor exposes a frame at around 1/3 to 1/2 second which might be enough with fast film to get images through a pinhole. Something I can plan on doing in the near future. Got to shoot some tests of my stop-motion armature first. :wink:
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Herb Montes wrote:I think you are talking about C-mount extension tubes. Been meaning to get a set for my Bolex. The two pinhole idea is interesting and I can try it with my Bolex Rx5 with the Stevens animation motor on it. The motor exposes a frame at around 1/3 to 1/2 second which might be enough with fast film to get images through a pinhole. Something I can plan on doing in the near future. Got to shoot some tests of my stop-motion armature first. :wink:
It will work with the extension tubes and custom made tops with precise pinholes made for each 'focal length.' On second thought I do not think stereo will work because of the diffused quality of the image that lacks a well defined border.
These are two pictures taken in Austin, Texas with a pinhole camera by Gary Nored. He makes his own pinhole cameras. Very nice!

------------------------------------

Steve P.

Post by Steve P. »

Unverified, but from some old notes: pinhole size for maximum image sharpness, by distance to film plane.

distance (mm), sewing needle size
50, 14
100, 11
150, 9
200, 8