When you're not using your computer...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Which do you do?

I turn it off when I'm not using it.
63%
I let it run all the time.
38%

Total votes: 40

jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Isn't it illegal to turn off your computer?
This space was left intenionally blank.
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

jpolzfuss wrote:Isn't it illegal to turn off your computer?
wtf :?: :?: :?:
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

About 6 years ago an advertising agency was on fire and all the artworks became ashes because one of the staff forgot to turn off the monitor.

So even I keep my computer on to keep track of my dog at home while I'm at work. I turn off the monitor.

I let me computer on for days unless I need to go far and won't get home in 2 days. Usually this case... My dog will goes to my parents' house. Nothing to monitor.
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

jpolzfuss wrote:Isn't it illegal to turn off your computer?
In the user agreement for this forum you agree to never leave your computer nor this forum.

Hah you wish. :lol:
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Aaaaaahhhrrr...

Then we are all stucked here, in film-cyber space... forever!! :twisted:

The off switch.... Where is the off switch :P

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
mattias

Post by mattias »

lastcoyote wrote:About 6 years ago an advertising agency was on fire and all the artworks became ashes because one of the staff forgot to turn off the monitor.
no, because the monitor was faulty. am i the only one who sees the distinction?

/matt
aj

Post by aj »

Formally you are right.

Practically the reasoning is that with somebody around the fire whould not have gone undetected. Very much as with TV-set which are on stand-by and may develop a very rare short while nobody is around.

For environmental reasons it would be much better if all this gear would be put to deep-sleep much more of the time. Modern electronics were designed with that capabilty and there is no reason to not use it. WinXp is back to life in 2 seconds when powered down like that. The monitor can be on switched power and should use 0 when in sleep.
Kind regards,

André
Angus

Post by Angus »

I've seen no OS ever that comes to life in 2 seconds.

Last time I actually used to turn my computer off was in the DOS/ win3.11 days...because it really did come to life in the advertised 30 seconds...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
aj

Post by aj »

WinXp is back on screen and ready to use in 2 sec when switching ´on´ from stand-by. If not faster. The monitor is a bit off color at first.

When in stand-by the main board, disks are off power. The switch is connected to the powersupply and is connected to an always on part of the board there. Fans are switched off.

Don't open you computer for some maintenance or parts swapping when it is in stand-by
Kind regards,

André
mattias

Post by mattias »

the power supply is still "hot" when in deep sleep, so a fire is almost as likely. it's better if you want to save power though. all power supplies draw some power even when not in use at all, as long as they're connected, so if you're *really* concerned about the environment you should switch everything off mechanically or unplug. of course the next time you take a plane somewhere you will have wasted more energy than all your power supplies during your lifetime can do. ;-)

/matt
aj

Post by aj »

So when other people take a plane it is waste of energy per definition?

There is no connection. If millions of people were saving on daily power usage it would make a considerable difference in needed on-line power in the electricity grid.
Kind regards,

André
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

aj wrote: If millions of people were saving on daily power usage it would make a considerable difference in needed on-line power in the electricity grid.
I do this.. But not fanatic.
But there is another factor, too.
A light bulb takes a lot of power when starting.
Sometimes it is better not to switch it on and off all the time.

I do not switch my computers on and of all the time.
Once a day.(keeps the fire away) haha.

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

lastcoyote wrote:About 6 years ago an advertising agency was on fire and all the artworks became ashes because one of the staff forgot to turn off the monitor.
My question would have to be, what flammables were sitting on top of the monitor. I would guess the monitor was covered with paperwork and overheated. :roll:
mattias

Post by mattias »

aj wrote:There is no connection. If millions of people were saving on daily power usage it would make a considerable difference in needed on-line power in the electricity grid.
well, you're the one who suggested that we put our equipment in deep sleep, and i'm the one who pointed out that you're wasting energy that way. the plane remark was just to put it in perspective.

/matt
reflex

Post by reflex »

There's no excuse for leaving your computer idling overnight. My computer wastes about 67W while idling and around 48W on standby. My monitor uses 61W (7.3W in standby). Leaving my machine on for an extra 16 hours per day will waste over 432 kWh in a year. That's almost half a megawatt, people!

Electronic energy meters are fairly inexpensive and let you know exactly how much power your appliances consume.

There is hope...

Intel was pushing instant on technology (again) back in 2003, but it vanished without a trace.

More recently, Google has pushed a more efficient computer power supply design (a more efficient 12V power source, rather than the current multi-volt system). They estimate this design could save 40 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity over three years.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology