1.5 Volt

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

1.5 Volt

Post by Shanec8mm »

Since the 1.3 volt akaline mercury batteries are no longer aval, and the 1.5 V is the replacement how much off will the metering be ? if I shoot with cinechrome 40 film with a ASA25 for outdoors should I reduce the number to say ASA 20 ? not sure what i am doing and need help ha ha !
thanks ....
Shane ...
downix

Post by downix »

They still make 1.3v batteries, air-zinc to replace the mercury. I picked up some for my old S8 and 16mm cameras with the EE.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

where would I find those batteries ? do you have the website URL ?
thanks for the tip. But in the meantime I still need someone to answer my question before I start shooting and endup with something that is way over or under exposed. The camera I will be using is a Bolex regular 8mm camera model S-1
downix

Post by downix »

any good camera shop. Which mercury cell did your camera have originally and I can give you a url.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

My Bolex camera when new used a mallory PX-1 ...
downix

Post by downix »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ATTERY&Q=*

But, for the 1.5, I'd guess 1/8 stop overexposed, so underexpose by 1/8th.
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

I use 1.35 volts hearing aid batteries #675. They cost next to nothing. They are not the right diameter however, so I put a rubber o-ring around and - perfect fit!

They do not last long. Have to remove from the camera and put back the protective sticker at the end of every shooting day.

Francois
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Downmix,
When u say under expose it by 1/8 are u referring to if I set the camera manually ? I will be using it in the auto mode, that's why I was wondering if I should set the ASA lower than 25 to 20 or is it the other way around ?
I'm new to this 8mm filming, and am trying to learn as much as I can, but I do get confused with the ASA thing and f/stop. Sucks to be a newbo sometimes, I feel stupid. ha ha !
downix

Post by downix »

pretty much set the camera a few asa points brighter, so if you're on ASA 25, 20 should do it fine.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

thanks that clarifys alot, now one more question for u to ponder at.
I just looked at the batteries, and there's 2. each one says 1A on them does this mean they are both 1amp ? and what would they both add up too ? 2amps ? or am I getting confused again Ha Ha !
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I'm thinking maybe they are the right batteries and no adjustment is needed ?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

If your camera needs 1 or 2 Amps for the light meter then you in BIG trouble ;-)
Could mean that they are alkaline? in which case they are the wrong voltage- do you have a meter you could check the voltage with?

Mark
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Do you mean 1.3v or 1.35v? If it's the latter you need, you can get the proper non-mercury replacement PX625 batteries from Du-All Camera, Wittner Kinotechnik, and Super 8 Stuff. Just google 'em or search this site for battery threads. I've posted their links here on a couple of occasions.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I think I may have figured out what the 1A stamped on the batteries means. Since my camera takes PX-1A, the 1A would probally mean
PX-1A in short. The batteries are small so PX-1A would not fit across it all the way. Does that seem to make any sense. I guess the only way to find out would be to ask someone who as one of these cameras. I did visit the website that downmix supplied here and the batteries are listed as
PX-1A. so they may be the right ones after all, and I may not need to set the ASA to 20 instead of 25.
any thoughts ?
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

There's a potential synergy occurring between the new exposure meter batteries and the new film stocks. On my Nikon R8, the 625 battery replacing the original 1.35v battery in the exposure meter causes the meter to be about, oh, 2/3 stop oversensitive, thus forcing the iris to close up. The Kodachrome 40 replacement, EPY 64T, is also 2/3 stop more sensitive, so according to my figuring the two error sources should cancel each other out (unless the Nikon actually reads E64T as ASA 64, in which case I'll have to use exposure compensation anyway).