Bolex S-1 8mm camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

Bolex S-1 8mm camera

Post by Shanec8mm »

I just purchased a Bolex S-1 model regular 8mm camera, from Ebay !
thanks to some of you for the advice to purchase a Bolex camera.
I won it for 15.00 US dollars. The description: Bolex S-1 zoom reflex automatic camera, uses 25 foot rolls 8mm, Camera does the following: single frame advance, 12-18-40 FPS filming, fade in variable shutter, plus it comes with mint condition variogon 9-30mm f/1.8 zoom lens. it also comes with the owner's manual and the orignal leather case with locking key. Anyone have any experience shooting film with this camera, like new stock kodak ? and is this a good quality camera ? also what add ons if any would I need to use cine chrome 40 shooting outdoors with this camera ? I'm assuming this has a built in outdoor filter.
thanks ...
Lunar07

Re: Bolex S-1 8mm camera

Post by Lunar07 »

Shanec8mm wrote: I'm assuming this [the Bolex S-1] has a built in outdoor filter.
thanks ...
I do not think this has a built in filter. This builtin filter antic is a Super8 'tradition.' Very few, if any, R8 cameras have a builtin filter. To use this outdoors with K40, you need an 85 filter screwed into the lens.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

what size filter would I need, and where can I purchase one that fits a S-1 bolex ? need help ! thanks ... does this filter fit on the outside or slip inside somewhere ? ...
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Shanec8mm wrote:what size filter would I need, and where can I purchase one that fits a S-1 bolex ? need help ! thanks ... does this filter fit on the outside or slip inside somewhere ? ...
I do not know what is the filter thread diameter of the Schneider zoom lens on the S-1. I know, for example, that the K-1 and K-2 have a filter thread diameter of 44mm fine pitch (Series 6). Can you measure the thread diameter and give some approximation? I believe the filter fits outside (a screw in filter) on the lens. It is a threaded lens, isn't it?
super8man

Post by super8man »

Welcome to Collectors Corner on ebay...you see, you will have to go on ebay and buy a series filter (not sure what size but 6 sounds about right). Then, you need to find the right thread filter holder - series filters do not have threads in them, they are like monocles like Col. Klink wore on Hogans Heroes. And you also need a retaining filter holder as well (3 pieces in all). THe trouble you have with all these old school cameras is that their threads are in metric and based more or less on 1/2mm sizes (like 37.5mm, 41.5mm, etc). So, you have two choices - shop ebay under old school still photography categories (since these were common filters in use on still cameras too) or use duct tape and buy like a 46mm filter or larger and tape it to the front of the lens...both will result in excellent expoures...assuming you do everything else right.

Lastly, the S1 was a cheaper version of the similar K model cameras made by Bolex: order in DECREASING quality of the optics: K1, K2, S1, P1, P2, P3, P4. I believe the Schneider is a better lens than the Pan Cinor but both are surpassed by the Vario-Switar...a gem of a lens.

Good luck.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

If he can get to answer the basic question, even an approximation, of the front lens thread diameter I can give him precise info on how to proceed. Series 6 adapters are quite common. However, unlike Switars, Schneiders have a tendency to use standard size filters (such as 22.5mm, 40.5mm, 52mm). The Switars have a bewildering array of non-standard diameters - almost a science to classify them even by their pitch.

I wish I have kept the K2 - the thing I did not like about it is the non-removable grip.

What is the difference between the K1 and K2 by the way?
super8man wrote:Welcome to Collectors Corner on ebay...you see, you will have to go on ebay and buy a series filter (not sure what size but 6 sounds about right). Then, you need to find the right thread filter holder - series filters do not have threads in them, they are like monocles like Col. Klink wore on Hogans Heroes. And you also need a retaining filter holder as well (3 pieces in all). THe trouble you have with all these old school cameras is that their threads are in metric and based more or less on 1/2mm sizes (like 37.5mm, 41.5mm, etc). So, you have two choices - shop ebay under old school still photography categories (since these were common filters in use on still cameras too) or use duct tape and buy like a 46mm filter or larger and tape it to the front of the lens...both will result in excellent expoures...assuming you do everything else right.

Lastly, the S1 was a cheaper version of the similar K model cameras made by Bolex: order in DECREASING quality of the optics: K1, K2, S1, P1, P2, P3, P4. I believe the Schneider is a better lens than the Pan Cinor but both are surpassed by the Vario-Switar...a gem of a lens.

Good luck.
super8man

Post by super8man »

TTL is the K2.

no idea on the front of his lens on mm.
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

Lunar07 wrote: I wish I have kept the K2 - the thing I did not like about it is the non-removable grip.

What is the difference between the K1 and K2 by the way?
I believe the 4 differences are:

1) K2 has 24 fps added as a set speed linked to the meter
2) The K2 meter is TTL the K1 has a seperate window
3) The K2 has a viewfinder safeguard to keep light from leaking back to the prism, the K1 does not.
4) The K2 has power zoom, which also means that it takes 2 extra batteries for the power zoom.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I loved the K2 so much, I bought two of them on epay for about $25 each...
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Some of the lesser expensive 8mm cameras, particularly the ones with the turrets that had converter lenses from the 1960s, had a built in filter wheel.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I actually just bought this camera from ebay, so I haven't gotten in yet, just wanna know somethings about it, sorta do some research before I shoot with it. I did find the link to Ebay for it, so i will post it here, just highlight it, paste to url box. Here's that link : http://cgi.ebay.com/Bolex-S-1-zoom-refl ... dZViewItem

Does anyone know what kind of metering this camera would have ? I'm thinking it must have a battery somewhere for that.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I came across this lens on Ebay that I think may work, seems these older cameras may use a 46mm size. I probally should just wait till I actually get the camera. Here's the link to this #85 filter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFEN-HCE-46-MM-85 ... dZViewItem

anyone think this may work ?
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

Shanec8mm wrote: Does anyone know what kind of metering this camera would have ? I'm thinking it must have a battery somewhere for that.
Yes, it takes an old 1.3v mecury battery (probably the RM1), there is a modern 1.5v akaline replacement. The voltage is higher so you have to compensate by lowering the asa setting on the camera. Oh the battery goes into the cameras poop shoot, you'll know what I mean when you get it.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Thank you filmbuff, your info helps a great deal ! I emailed radio shack's online battery support staff, with a description of my camera, etc. So we'll see what they find. You where saying in your last post here about turning the ASA down abit with a 1.5V. What would you recommended setting it at when outdoors filming, etc.. ? If I lower it will a #85 filter over the lens work just fine ?
thanks ...
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

If the battery is the old RM1 then you want the A1PX replacement. You can get it at http://www.photobattery.com/ for $6. Its the third one down under "Alkaline Mercury Replacements". When you get the camera you can check to the manual to make sure this is the right one.

It will work fine with an 85 filter. K40 outdoors with the filter is ASA 25 so you just set the asa dial to 25 BUT since the new battery is higher voltage it will probably come a bit under exposed. You'll have to shoot some tests and tweek the asa dial and see what works best.