Why Would Some Of My Film Be Clear?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Norseman

Why Would Some Of My Film Be Clear?

Post by Norseman »

I just got back, from Dwayne's, some 8mm film I shot 10 days ago. It starts out just fine, with nice images, then the screen goes to white, and I notice that the film feeding into the projector looks clear, with no color. This lasts for about 1 minute, then I notice a little blue starting to show up on the film, and soon, I have normal images again. What would cause me to have this minute of clear film in the middle of my reel?
ccortez

Re: Why Would Some Of My Film Be Clear?

Post by ccortez »

Norseman wrote:I just got back, from Dwayne's, some 8mm film I shot 10 days ago. It starts out just fine, with nice images, then the screen goes to white, and I notice that the film feeding into the projector looks clear, with no color. This lasts for about 1 minute, then I notice a little blue starting to show up on the film, and soon, I have normal images again. What would cause me to have this minute of clear film in the middle of my reel?
was the visible section exposed to daylight while you were flipping the reel over?
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

I flipped over the film in a darkened room with no lights on.
super8man

Post by super8man »

assuming you or your camera did not screw up and shoot wide open in the middle minute, I can only assume there was a screwup in processing since the light leak obviously only affected the last 45 seconds of the 16mm wide film...before it was slit.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

While viewing this film today, I was surprised to find some footage of my 2 nephews (12 and 15 years old) on here, goofing around (I must have been down at the lake at the time). I am now beginning to think that, while shooting some film of themselves, they may have popped open the door to look inside. Since they grew up in the digital age, they probably have no idea about the dos and don'ts of film. Would this cause the clear film? Is this what they call "fogging"?
super8man

Post by super8man »

That would do it...see, there was no shooter on the grassy knoll.

I like you leave the part about the kids playing with the camera...a classic story line maneuver...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

First off, if you would control your nephews you wouldn't have these problems. I recommend increasing the frequency and intensity of the beatings. 8O

Second, yeah, they f'd up your film. :oops:

Third, fogging is usually less severe than "clear film", but a camera light leak or other light exposure is similarly the cause.

Again, beatings, b/c they f'd up your film, by extreme fogging. :twisted:

:wink:
thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

I was finishing up a roll a few weeks ago at our family cabins in the mtns. (tiny hills!) of O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A.

I was crawling up a large rock to get some scenery panoramic shots of a river, trees etc. and I knew I was getting to the end of the first half of the spool. SO, I let it wind down and watched the footage indicator show me E for empty. I open the chamber(brownie of course) and see the film as backed up at least 10 feet. I just stood there staring for about 3-4 seconds before it registered what had happened.

I cursed myself a good five mintues while walking back to the cabin. I assumed of course that I had spoiled a good 30 seconds of beautiful mountain scenery.

But, I was curous. So I reloaded the second half and shot it anyway. I was using Kodachrome 25 :-({|= and was in the deep shade while going up this rock. So, low and behold, my surprise when I get my film back from Switzerland. Its fine, a few orange spots, but nothing overexposed.

I'll miss Kodachrome 25's forgiving nature :-({|=.

Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!