Standard 8mm still alive?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Standard 8mm still alive?

Post by jaxshooter »

I've noticed some high end standard 8mm cameras on ebay commanding some fairly high prices.Is there still a good bit of standard 8mm film being shot or are these cameras going to collectors?
plutone

Post by plutone »

Purely anectodal, but I was asking about 8mm at Yale Labs earlier in the year and the guy at the counter said they'd been processing more, including 400 reels for one client.
Ansco Titan IV regular 8
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The following film stocks are available: Kodachrome 40(AKA Cinechrome 40), Plus-X 7265(AKA Cine-X 100), Fomapan R-100 and ORWO UN54.

J.S.
Angus

Post by Angus »

If I were a smug bastard I'd suggest everybody's switching to standard 8mm so they can continue with Kodachrome.

More likely it's another reason though.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

I think Angus has a point. Those of us that like the 'chrome are better off just switching (or switching back in my case) to Reg 8 or DS8 rather than wishing big K would change its mind.

It's also fun!
Zevon forever!
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

You guys may have something.Though there is 50% more picture area in super 8,standard 8 cameras have a pressure plate.I'm thinking of picking up a Bolex H8 and when I can afford it,have it converted to DS8.

I know a guy in the transfer business says because of the pressure plate, std.8 looks better.
Macnessa

Post by Macnessa »

If I were a smug bastard I'd suggest everybody's switching to standard 8mm so they can continue with Kodachrome.
Actually, I just bought a battery powered reg 8 camera for that very reason. I hate to think about it, but it's possible that standard 8 will actually survive S8. As long as 16mm is around, there will probably be someone willing to make Reg 8 out of it.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I had a similar thought as Macnessa and got some std 8 cameras for a 'scorched earth' scenario where Kodak kills Super 8 due to the cartridge issues - since I don't want to get into home processing, using the Kassetas is out. I picked up a lot of 6 Bolex cameras, 3 working, for $27.50 shipped...

Can you buy double 8 film direct from Kodak, or only from John Schwind? Also, how does processing work? I assume you don't actually send the takeup reel from the camera - are there plastic intermediate/disposable ones you use? Finally, does Dwayne's handle the Kodachrome?

...and can you get it to them through Wal-Mart?
robbie

Post by robbie »

i ve been shooting film for many years now and i actually prefer reg-8mm more than the other gauges. super8 and regular8 for the texture and regular for the sharpness due to the H-8 pressure plate and lenses as well i can attach other bolex motors etc. for vaarious filming, which is quite limited with cartridge load cameras. therefore, among other reasons i do prefer Reg-8 or std-8 over super8. so yeah sure i'd get an H-8 and purchase stock through John Schwind. Dwaynes will process.

also, good to see 8mm shooter in Jville. are you familiar with Tim Masset over at the Pit? you probably already know this, he screens film work regularly and often 8mm stuff. now and then will gather work from local filmmakes to screen.
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Standard 8 will obviously outlast super 8 because of the cameras. The clockwork ones will last longer than the electric models and in an electronic hi-tec world it will be an interesting exercise to use a purely mechanical device for the moving image.

All it needs is some celebrity to be seen using one. How about Madge (Madonna), if she like Tim Taylors Landlord Bitter (Keighley Brewer)maybe she will get into regular 8 movie making :lol:
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
Angus

Post by Angus »

I gather a lot of footage for wildlife programmes on the BBC and ITV in the 70's and 80's were shot on clockwork Bolex H16's for reasons of practicality...quality is excellent and out in the bush you don't have to worry about batteries.

Kodak will eventually cease super 8 production. Whether this is 5 years or 30 years or 50 years down the line it will happen...and when they stop making the carts super 8 will effectively die.

But reg 8, having only those nifty little spools...will survive...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I have an English nature documentary on vhs called 'The World You Never See' of which the majority was shot with a Bolex H16 with Switar lenses. Images are beautiful and sharp, especially the macro footage.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Interesting observation, Angus. I was reading in a book I have on wildlife cinematography (in the late 60s) that film makers at that time would likely use a fancy electronic camera like an Arriflex out in the bush but in addition to this, they usually had a mechanical camera like a Bolex as a back up - just in case the main one ran into problems.
JGrube

Post by JGrube »

Ditto, I've been shooting exclusively on a Bolex D8LA for the last few months and it is so mechanically superior to any Super 8 camera I've ever used, I don't know if I could switch back. The fact that it has fixed lenses with manual irises ALONE is enough reason to keep me loyal to Reg 8 now. As long as I can get spools of film, I'll be happy.

Jason
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I'm falling into a new trap... I think I'll buy a Bolex P1 Reflex.

J&C photo has 25ft Foma R for $7.99... anyone ever dealt with them? Where can you get Foma processed in the states...?