using filters with 8mm film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

using filters with 8mm film

Post by Shanec8mm »

First off I'd like to say I am new to this forum, have been reading here for sometime now. I recently purchased an 8mm camera, a bell & Howell, from Ebay, it dates back to 1957. The camera has a standard 10mm lens, and a camera speed of 16f a second, shutter speed is 1/35. I bought it not even knowing if I could get film for it, but after researching I realize now I can. since Kodak only offers the new cine 40 reg. 8mm film (Tungsten), filters are needed outdoors, so I purchased a vintage glass lens (walz) #85 orange in color, which I will have to tape on the outside of my lens housing in outdoor shooting. Can I use this film indoors under normal lighting without the use of a filter, or will I need another filter type ? Also can the cine 40 film be shot in outdoor conditions that are cloudy without the "85", or does it need to be used all the time outdoors regardless of the sky conditions ?
Thank you ...
Steve P.

Post by Steve P. »

Welcome to the forum, and the hobby!

The quick (sloppy and crude) answer to your question, “Can I use this film indoors under normal lighting without the use of a filter?” is “yes”. The answer to “Can I use an 85-filter for cloudy skies?” is “sure”.

In both case, the answer is really “it depends”, and to be accurate is complicated. Try reading this:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat ... _57-62.pdf

Both your questions are about color temperature/color conversion, and in that document, there’s a nice guide-graph and table to help you choose if you need a filter, and what filter, et cetera.
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

Last month I shot a roll of this film with my 8mm camera, outdoors, in both sunny and cloudy conditions. Half the time I used an #85 filter, and half the time with no filter. The shots without the filter came out passable. The shots with the filter did add better colors, especially skin tones.
Norseman
Shanec8mm

thank you

Post by Shanec8mm »

thanks both of you for your responses ! I think for my first roll of reg. 8mm film, my girlfriend and I are going to film each other outside on a sunny day using an 85 filter to see what we achieve. Then i will either take to walmart for processing or send it to Dwaynes photo, any recommendations ?
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

If you're curious, you can film your girlfriend outdoors, about 10 feet away, without the filter, for 10 seconds. Then film the same scene with the filter on, and when you get your processed film back, you can see the difference the filter makes. If you drop your film off at Wal-Mart, you'll get it back in 10-14 days, and it costs $4.88 plus tax. Sending it to Dwayne's costs $12.00 (either way it goes to Dwayne's). If you use Wal-Mart, make sure you check the "Special Instructions" box, and write down, "Process K-14 (Dwayne's), Regular 8mm Double Run Movie Film". Good luck.
Norseman