Switching carts to other cams

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Brackish

Switching carts to other cams

Post by Brackish »

I'm pretty sure this is okay but just wanted to check.
It's okay to remove a cart before it's fully used
and switch to other cams for shooting, correct?
MovieMaker

Post by MovieMaker »

Yes, you only lose a few frames. Be sure to make a note on the cartridge how many meters are left.

MovieMaker
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Thanks. I hadn't thought about making the note. Will do.
Splee

Post by Splee »

Yes, I've done it a couple of times, and lost less than a second each time. Be sure to remember how much is left, as noted above, as most cameras re-set the film counter when you remove carts.
John_Pytlak

Super-8 Cartridge Design

Post by John_Pytlak »

Kodak designed the cartridges to allow changing cameras in the middle of a shoot. It's now part of the SMPTE standard. As noted, some cameras reset the footage counter, so you need to keep track of how much film is left.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

I always pull the trigger for a second before pulling it out, to move the last shot frames into the cartridge. And then pull the trigger for another second after reloading. Otherwise first few frames will be flashed.

Not only do many cameras reset the footage counter when you take the cart out, but they no longer give an end-of-cartridge warning when you reload into a different camera. Two of my favourite cameras are the Nikon Super Zoom 8 and 8X SuperZoom, as they are the only models I have encountered which tell you you are at the end of the cart, regardless of where it was when you loaded. There is nothing more frustrating than not knowing how much is left and finding out the cart ended well before you thought it did and much of what you shot is just not there. I use my Nikons whenever I have a cart with an unknown amount of film left.

Rick