What will us Australians do without pre-paid K40?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Cam8super

What will us Australians do without pre-paid K40?

Post by Cam8super »

Hi all, :?

:cry: In Oz no-one processes color s8 full-stop! Once Ekta VNF was discontinued processing just stopped it seemed, over night, even though you could still buy it!?? (This happened when I was about to buy my first roll, damnit!!)

Kodak don't import the S8 colour negs because no-one will process it( no-one will process it because Kodak don't import it! Go figure :roll:
Lack of communication? )

K40 is the ONLY colour S8 avaliable here and with pre-paid. Processing is done in Switserland, either sent direct or via Kodak 2 - 3 weeks.

That whole article about the new Ekta-64t and POSSIBLE discont of K40 seems all wrong. I mean, who do they think will process this new film if the reason to drop K40 (apart from sales) is due to lack of machines to process. I thought only Kodak process K40 anyway. Wasn't Kodak going to cease all Ekta due to Enviromentle reasons ( or just VNF?) Sounds like a typo, one can only hope. Also the extra cost of processing now puts film out of my reach.

Can't beat the look of film projected on a big screen! 8O

Anyway K40s not dead yet, if we keep buying it, they'll keep selling it!!

Cheers

Cam :?
soundboy

Post by soundboy »

Now there is a new stock hopefully Film Plus will resume processing of colour films.
It's not the size that counts, its what u do with it!
Scotness

Re: What will us Australians do without pre-paid K40?

Post by Scotness »

Cam8super wrote:Kodak don't import the S8 colour negs because no-one will process it( no-one will process it because Kodak don't import it! Go figure :roll:
Lack of communication? )
Not true - see:
http://www.filmshooting.com./scripts/fo ... php?t=8913
and
http://www.filmshooting.com./scripts/fo ... php?t=8877
soundboy wrote:Now there is a new stock hopefully Film Plus will resume processing of colour films.
I agree - or you could try developing the 64T yourself - couldn't beat that turn around time - sending your film to the other side of the world totally sucked..

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
aquagak

Post by aquagak »

someone should call Film Plus and ask them if they have any plans for developing 64t
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

As Film Plus could develop just about every current super 8 film stock under the sun (except for K40 of course) I bet that there would be a very likely chance that they would develop Ektachrome 64T. Though I did learn that they eventually stopped processing s8 negative film at one point. 64T is a direct replacement for K40 so the size of the market for this new film stock should be huge, compared to the market for the B & W s8 films they also develop. The E6 processing makes it even more attractive. I would be very surprised if Film Plus decided not to develop 64T.
Shion

Post by Shion »

I just spoke to Film Plus, and was told that they will not be able to process the new Ektachrome, as they "no longer have their machine"- presumably, this refers to whatever machine they used to use for VNF processing. I spoke to Kodak Australia's motion picture division as well, and they have yet to decide whether they will be offering the 64T here, given the lack of local processing options.

I also asked if they have any plans to offer Plus-X here, and apparently they don't, for the same reason- Film Plus can't process it. I would have thought that if they could do Tri-X, they could do Plus-X as well... or do the two stocks require different chemistry?

In any case, when I spoke to the guy at Film Plus, I asked for pricing for processing/telecine of "Plus-X and Tri-X," and he did not indicate that doing either of them would be a problem, although I did not specifically ask (since I assumed that if they could do one, they could do both).

In case anyone is interested, here is the pricing I received...

Processing - $19.80/cart
Telecine to MiniDV - $33 for first 100 feet, $8.80 per each additional 50 feet (needs to be on 400-foot reel)
400-foot reel - $11
Cleaning/splicing onto reel - $2/cart

Has anyone used them for Super 8 telecine before? How is the quality of their transfers? Their services seem reasonably cost-effective, although I don't think I'm particularly interested if Tri-X is the only option...

-Bon
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Sounds like this is going from bad to worse. There is a chance that Kodak may not introduce 64T into Australia because of lack of local processing options??? That certainly didn't stop Kodak selling K40 in Australia for decades despite no processing of that particular stock being available here at all...except maybe during the 60s / 70s perhaps. Actually, when you think about it, there would be many processing options for 64T here because people can simply develop it themselves. A super 8 film cartridge costs $19.80 nowadays? Man, the last time I had Ektachrome 7240 developed, it cost about $15.

On the plus side at least Film Plus only charge $30 for telecine of 100ft. That is a damn good deal. Though is that deal specifically for super 8 and not 16mm? The type of equipment that they use for telecine must be investigated. I have heard that if a business cannot transfer s8 footage that was exposed at 24fps, then that is an indication that they are not using professional equipment. Another clue is if they do transfer 24 fps footage but flicker is evident.
Shion

Post by Shion »

Patrick wrote:Sounds like this is going from bad to worse. There is a chance that Kodak may not introduce 64T into Australia because of lack of local processing options??? That certainly didn't stop Kodak selling K40 in Australia for decades despite no processing of that particular stock being available here at all...except maybe during the 60s / 70s perhaps.
I guess K40 was different in that Kodak offered processing for it themselves as part of the price. (By the way, the lady at Kodak I spoke to today said that they still have plenty of K40 available.)

In the worst case scenario, you could probably purchase 64T from Kodak Australia directly in lots of 20, as you can for the Vision2 negative stocks.

-Bon
aquagak

Post by aquagak »

Shion wrote: Has anyone used them for Super 8 telecine before? How is the quality of their transfers? Their services seem reasonably cost-effective, although I don't think I'm particularly interested if Tri-X is the only option...

-Bon
I had them telecine 2 rolls of Tri-X onto mini DV a few weeks ago and they turned out very good. Mind you it was my very first roll of film I had ever shot and telecined so I don’t have anything to compare it to.

sceen shots

A few months ago back in March when my brother and I first got into Super 8, I remember taking with the guy (Colin) who deals with the super 8 sales at Camera Electronics, Perth. He said at one time Camera Electronics were thinking of processing super 8. Its a long shot but someone should give them a call and ask what their thoughts are if any. 9328 4405 *cough* Shion *cough*

Is it hard to find the chemicals and tools in Australia needed to develop 64T. I'm a first timer so I don’t know anything about E6 processing. I’ve just gone and bought a 4008ZMII yesterday without knowing the news on K40 so I'm in sort of a bewildered.
+AnonymousGuest+

Post by +AnonymousGuest+ »

"I also asked if they have any plans to offer Plus-X here, and apparently they don't, for the same reason- Film Plus can't process it."
This is a ridiculous situation, really. I don't know why Kodak would think that as I've recently had two rolls of the new plus-x developed there (which came out more than beautifully I might add). Hmm, I hadn't seen that new price list for developing, their prices seem to go up everytime i blink. I remember not long ago it was 15$ a cart... 8O

Btw, I ordered all my Plus-X from Kodak in New York. As they don't ship outside the US, I had them send it to an american friend who then sent it on to me. Ended up costing about 14$aus per cart total (for 10 carts) including postage, not bad at all!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I wonder if the Aussies could organise a petition in an attempt to allow Kodak to sell Ektachrome 64T in Australia. The main argument that we could use in this petition is the fact that anyone could easily develop this film stock at home, hence it should be allowed to be stocked in shops. The other thing we could state is the fact that because 64T is a direct replacement for K40, there would already be a reasonably sized existing market for the new film stock.
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

It's funny that Kodak doesn't offer Plus-X in Oz.
Currently in NZ we can only get Kodachrome (for now anyway) and Tri-X despite the fact that nowhere in the country will process either. And the cost of having Filmplus do it is about the same as shooting 16mm when you factor in all their postage requirements.
This looks like the end of the road for Super 8 in NZ. :?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

"This looks like the end of the road for Super 8 in NZ."

Things look very grim on our side of the world. Bakanosaru, maybe a similar petition could be set up for NZ, demanding 64T to be stocked there and stating that the film could be developed at home. Worth a try at least.
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I get my slide film processed at E6 Plus in Prahran - I'll call them on Monday to see if they are able to process super 8 also.

It's not looking too good for us aussies.
Ertugrul Togacay
Cam8super

....still confused about K40.

Post by Cam8super »

Shion wrote:I just spoke to Film Plus, and was told that they will not be able to process the new Ektachrome, as they "no longer have their machine"- presumably, this refers to whatever machine they used to use for VNF processing. I spoke to Kodak Australia's motion picture division as well, and they have yet to decide whether they will be offering the 64T here, given the lack of local processing options.

Has anyone used them for Super 8 telecine before? How is the quality of their transfers? Their services seem reasonably cost-effective, although I don't think I'm particularly interested if Tri-X is the only option...

-Bon
If FilmPlus no longer have "machine" to process new Ekta 64t. What chances do we have of processing this film ourselves?
Where did their machine go??

Has there been any mention of Ekta 64T being process paid? This would solve a few problems, though this maybe the only reason K40 being discontinued in S8 format.

Is the 16mm K40 processing pre-paid? If not, who can do process-K14 other than Kodak?
If it is process-prepaid then I can't see a reason for kodak to stop it in S8. Surely K40 in S8 is far more popular than K40 in 16mm. - anyone?

With the number of people that seem to be getting into S8, (K40 being the easiest way). You would think sales of K40 would be on the increase.

All I can say is "Buy lots of K40 & Keep it alive!!!
We're stuffed without it.

FilmPlus telecine is excellent, I had 'standard 8' @18fps telecined to miniDV and looks far better than DIY & No flicker.

Cam