My thoughts on Ektachrome...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

My thoughts on Ektachrome...

Post by super8man »

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/super8_35.html

Yikes, I just discovered my Elmo Superwide will only meter 40 and 160...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Joining that club having an Album 4.3mmW. Anyway, it is a dirt simple camera and with some technical/electronic efforts it is actually possible to "tweak" (calibrate) the lightmetering circuit to 64.

T
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
super8man

Post by super8man »

Yeah, I'll be adding a how to section on that modification in my next update to that page. Should be fun!
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Great page, very informative!!

ND filter sounds like a good easy option for my cheap junk cameras, but alas not for my trusty Sankyo ES-44XL. :cry: :cry:
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

timdrage wrote:Great page, very informative!!

ND filter sounds like a good easy option for my cheap junk cameras, but alas not for my trusty Sankyo ES-44XL. :cry: :cry:
The use of an ND filter will not and can not fix the issue of metering.
filmfan

Post by filmfan »

On the matter of metering, couldn't neutral density filter material be installed inside of the camera? If its behind the pathway to the meter, the camera will "think" its using K40 still. That's if the 64 cart is notched for K40 of course.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

I'm talking about cameras without TTL ('through the lens', right?) metering... ie if you put a ND filter to reduce light by 1/3 of a stop, that will compensate for the meter's over-exposing... this will work because the meter (seperate 'magic eye' one above the lens) isn't looking thru the filter, wheras if it were TTL the ND filter would affect the metering too + thus not solve the problem.

...right? Please correct me if i've misunderstood this!!
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
reedsturtevant

Re: My thoughts on Ektachrome...

Post by reedsturtevant »

Wonderful page! "Seeing is believing", your film chamber pics of the notch-sensing pins are a great reference. Just linked to it from the wiki.
super8man

Post by super8man »

Thanks! I plan to add more as time permits... If I come up with other ideas, I will add them accordingly. Can't wait to get my hands on some E64 but oh the lab fees...AARRRGHHHH.

Looks like all those non-R10/R8 Nikons are going to go WAY up in value!
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Lunar07 wrote:
timdrage wrote:Great page, very informative!!

It will for the Canon 310XL. It may read the 64 anyway. Have to check.

T
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

timdrage wrote:
I'm talking about cameras without TTL ('through the lens', right?) metering... ie if you put a ND filter to reduce light by 1/3 of a stop, that will compensate for the meter's over-exposing... this will work because the meter (seperate 'magic eye' one above the lens) isn't looking thru the filter, wheras if it were TTL the ND filter would affect the metering too + thus not solve the problem.

...right? Please correct me if i've misunderstood this!!
In this case you are right. With the metering decoupled from a TTL system, one is free to manipulate the outcome of a reading Vs what a lens sees. I am aware of such R8 cameras. Are there Super8 cameras that use this system?
super8man

Post by super8man »

my webpage addresses this. Think EUMIG NAUTICA...non TTL.
soundboy

Post by soundboy »

Can the light meter be used in a manual setting?

I stopped using in built light meters 12months ago...
Just go buy a decent light meter
It's not the size that counts, its what u do with it!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"Looks like all those non-R10/R8 Nikons are going to go WAY up in value!"

Is this because they are relatively cheap currently ($40-50) or because the R10/R8 are somehow incapable of metering the new stock properly? I just bought an R10 :?
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

Evan Kubota wrote:"Looks like all those non-R10/R8 Nikons are going to go WAY up in value!"

Is this because they are relatively cheap currently ($40-50) or because the R10/R8 are somehow incapable of metering the new stock properly? I just bought an R10 :?
The R8/10s does anything between 0 and 1600 or so in auto mode - no kidding. Default is seamless up to 640.

T