I Probably Could Have Bought Canon´s Complete Spares/S.Tools

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

I Probably Could Have Bought Canon´s Complete Spares/S.Tools

Post by S8 Booster »

For Next To nothing If I Was Aware.

That is for Canon Norway.

Done some research to find out where all Canon S8 cams spares & special tools went when video nailed the S8 in the past.

I now found out that the bean counters at Canon dumped all of it for financial reasons; technichal value will bump up an artificial "profit" or company value for "dead" unsellable goods. So lets throw it to get beans on a line.

Anyway, a close friend was beancounter at Canon at the time.
If I knew about those spares & all special tools I am sure I would have got it for next to nothing.

Sad story. Of the day.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Ouch, keep out looking though you'll bound to step into something just as good.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

I still have two 1014e's for to play with if you're interested.

michael
kjellpell

Post by kjellpell »

Well, it was not only Canon who did that. In Norway the representatives of Fuji (Aug. Eklöw) Eumig and Elmo (Lars Farnes), both companies in Oslo, did exactly the same; dumped it all at the city garbage-dump. Tools, spare parts and also brand new cameras and projectors. Just like you, I learned about it too late.
How stupid can you be ??????????????
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

both companies in Oslo, did exactly the same; dumped it all at the city garbage-dump.
They did what with the what, now??
So somewhere hidden under piles of garbage are treasures from the '70 and '80.... Gronmo here I come!!!!!
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

That is like Hollywood burying films in the desert.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

What a formidable waste of human resources :!: #-o

Every company here did the same - I guess due to some alteration in company tax/accountancy laws. Car companies threw away complete motors, gearboxes and every part a car would need. Everyone did that. Later when this had been going on for some time they found ordinary people collecting stuff from the scrapyards etc and paid a tiny price per kg for it the accountants and bean counters for the companies which threw the stuff attended to the dump sites and ordered those spiked metal wheels dumper machines to overrun them to make sure they were useless. So my geuss is that the S8 parts went that way too because it was later in the process - later 80´s - beginning of the 90s I guess.

I am keeping your cams in mind sunrise. Only problem is my time avail for the time being. I´ll come back to you.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Still, as people are continuing to throw away usable items, they started a little shop of "goodies" at the city-dump in Oslo some years ago.
One dudes thrash is another dudes treasure, or something. That's cool.
Cranium

Post by Cranium »

I'm constantly amazed at the stuff that ends up in our dumpster. Video decks, whole computers, monitors, test equipment.
We've tried to salvage some stuff before it hits the dumpster (and we've done a lot of diving, too) but we're told it "MUST" be thrown out for legal reasons (and I'm sure accounting reasons as well.)
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

Can't be throwin' stuff like that in our dumpster. If it's metal, chemical, or an electronic device or contains any metals, chemicals, or electrical parts it's hazardous waste and goes elsewhere. They ship the stuff they accept to an incinerator and all that stuff has to be sorted out again. Non-recyclable paper & plastic is about all that can go now. Even construction lumber can't be burned due to the nails in the wood. They are still working on the elsewhere, or alternative disposal or recycling for alot of this stuff.
kjellpell

Post by kjellpell »

As far as I remember this must have been around 88-89-90, because when I re-considered what equipment to use (film or video) in a filmproject in the Philippines around 92-93, I contacted these companies, but at that time all was gone. (At that time I was using U-matic BVU, but I decided to go back to S8mm, and never regreted that.)
But it gets worse. In addition to making films, I am also a keen film-collector, mostly going for 16 and 35mm copies. Specially 35mm copies are hard to come by, at least at a reasonable price, so I was very surprised when I learned that also some of the film-companies threw their copies at the same dump (in Oslo) after the lease-periode for that film run out. Lots of copies were thrown, some of them in mint condition. I don't think this still goes on as lots of films are re-cycled now. Specially Disney-films. They are brought to Italy by big trucks to the re-cycling plant there. I cry when I think of all those copies I could have gotten from the dump at Grønmo. But always too late.
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

These days stuff are sorted and if possible recycled but one is not allowed to remove the stuff from those bins. Now, I sometimes park my van in front of the electronics bins and act like I am to throw something but simply bring some on the retour. But S8 treasures are not often to find. Think they are mostly gone.

R