Filmstock Questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BonnutFilmStudio

Filmstock Questions

Post by BonnutFilmStudio »

Hiya, have a few questions about about some filmstocks:

1) Kodachrome II: Has anyone here ever used it? I know that is was discontinued around '74 and that the only way for it to be developed ends up giving you a black and white negative image and it's not cheap to even get that done, but has anyone ever used it before it was discontinued? Anbody have any examples to show? What was better about it or what was differnt about it?

2) Agfa filmstocks: Anybody ever have experience with Agfa movie film I hear the colour on it is sublime. I'm getting a few rolls that come with a camera I just bought but they are at least 13 years old. Anybody shhot a fresh roll? Where can you get it?

3) Spool filmstocks: I know somewhere in Germany there's a place that sells Super 8 film on a spool like 400 ft or whatever it may be, for thing like reloadable carts or the new Supermag 400. Does anybody know places that sells this film? What types of film are available in this form (llw speed, high speed, negative, black and white)?

4) Reloadable carts: Are they worth it? I'm talking about the 50 footers. I know a russian site sells them and I have the link, but I couldn't find anything about prices or ordering in general. Or 200 ft reloadables, do they exist? If I could get my hands on some old Kodak 200ft carts could I home make or engineer it to be reloadable? The Supermag 400 looks really nice but all of this comes out of my pocket and they ain't lookin too deep lateley.

Regards,
Ernie
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi. think you'll find agfa filmstock was discontinued at least 10 years ago. I have used the 40 and 160 stock, all my 160asa stock from 1982/3 is now almost unwatchable due tp emulsion fungus. IMO i would not touch the 160 stock with a barge poll.I found agfa quite good on the greens, k40 much sharper and possibly more stable than moviechrome 40. I think agfa 40 can be processed somewhere, by the time you have paid for processing i would just shoot fresh k40 instead, least you will get a decent image..

As for kII, before my time, but our home movies were shot in this amazing film, colours are stunning even after 30--40 years. This film and k25 were amazing, its ashame we have taken a step back by loosing these great films as nothing comes close in terms of sharpness and colour saturation, i better say imo.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

I got a couple of rolls of out of date (but not horribly old) agfa moviechrome recently... adding to the stockpile in the fridge! I'll post on here when get them developed to let you know how it went. On the super8.nl site it says this film is still worth shooting + processing. A bit of colour shifting or whatever doesn't frighten me, gotta be worth a go by way of experiment! Can always colourcorrect or even make it black + white on the computer anyway.
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
Angus

Post by Angus »

I used Agfa films mostly from '86 until they stopped producing the stuff circa 1992.

The thing about the Agfa film was that the process was E6 plus removal of a remjet layer...so it was a bit cheaper than K40. I remember A40 being £5.99 in the UK when K40 was £7.99

The only problems with the Agfa films are, like Ektachrome, they fade with age...and there were sometimes inconsistencies with the colour dyes even within the same batch. But most of the time it was very good, especially when capturing blues (sea, sky)...not quite as good as K40 at capturing greens.

I haven't tried, but I gather those Agfa films often yield fairly good images if you have an unexposed cartridge. You can hand process E6 or send it to the Super 8 lab Netherlands.
Angus

Post by Angus »

mmmmm yes KII.

Before my time but my grandfather's entire 8mm output was on KII and the films were left to me in 1993. So I've never shot the stuff but am familiar with the processed film. Better than K40 for sure, this was the sublime colours - blue skies and lovely green grass/trees...and no visible grain even on std 8mm.

But since it is not possible to process it in colour any more I'd say it's barely worth it unless you are hand processing.

I have some Reviewchrome 40 that I believe can be E6 processed and I intend to try in the next few months.
danpuddick

Post by danpuddick »

I think that review is tha same as AgfaChrome just a different label - ah yes that's what it says on http://www.super8.nl...

reminds me I need to send a reel of Agfa that I shot to holland..
keep on truckin'
daniel
francis

Post by francis »

im getting an order for double super8 film. its the new vision2 100t negative. people without double super8 cameras are buy the stock to relaod 50ft carts, the old 200ft carts and the reloadable sibgle8 cart. let me know if you would like some
double super8!