Blue tramlines on K40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

Blue tramlines on K40

Post by Angus »

Somebody posted a couple of weeks back about blue streaks and tramlines appearing in K40.

I was one of those who responded that I've never seen this.

Well folks, it has happened. Got my first roll back yesterday from my Grand Prix shoot exactly two weeks after I posted the mailer to Wimbledon so very quick....but from about 15 seconds in there is a blue line along the right of the frame which quickly becomes a tramline for the remainder of the reel.

Disappointing and definatley Kodak's fault. This roll is from a camera I've owned for 13 years and which has never exhibited any form of problem whatsoever. I cannot count how many successful rolls of super 8 I have put through that cam.

I'm not annoyed, but am wondering if Kodak should be told.
downix

Post by downix »

I got one of those lines from Dwaynes, but it was on a test roll for some old film so I'm not too terribly upset.
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

I have the same problem. I had 3 rolls of Vision2 200T processed
and Rank transfered. I used the Super 8 pressure plate on one camera,
and that is the only roll that has blue streak lines . Were you using
a pressure plate? That was my first guess, the other rolls transfered with
no streaks.
Alex

Re: Blue tramlines on K40

Post by Alex »

Angus wrote:Somebody posted a couple of weeks back about blue streaks and tramlines appearing in K40.

I was one of those who responded that I've never seen this.

Well folks, it has happened. Got my first roll back yesterday from my Grand Prix shoot exactly two weeks after I posted the mailer to Wimbledon so very quick....but from about 15 seconds in there is a blue line along the right of the frame which quickly becomes a tramline for the remainder of the reel.

Disappointing and definatley Kodak's fault. This roll is from a camera I've owned for 13 years and which has never exhibited any form of problem whatsoever. I cannot count how many successful rolls of super 8 I have put through that cam.

I'm not annoyed, but am wondering if Kodak should be told.
How fresh was the film? The newer K-40 has been properly lubricated whereas K-40 from a few years ago seems to be "dry" and that can lead to abrasion lines either in shooting or during processing.
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

Well heres one for you,just received 400ft of 16mm K40 back from processing,turned round in nine days and guess what? You guessed it,this too has the occasional blue line and also blue flashes.Its certainly a latent image fault and not the camera.
So its doing it on S8 and 16mm soit must be a process malady.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Perhaps if everyone who has experienced the blue streaks would write a letter to Kodak, the film processor (Dwayne's or Switzerland), and any intermediaries (Walmart, etc.), and cc the others on the letter, it might help. If everybody did this every time they had the problem, maybe it would get some attention. One can hope, anyway.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Perhaps if everyone who has experienced the blue streaks would write a letter to Kodak, the film processor (Dwayne's or Switzerland), and any intermediaries (Walmart, etc.), and cc the others on the letter, it might help. If everybody did this every time they had the problem, maybe it would get some attention. One can hope, anyway.
monobath

Post by monobath »

monobath

Post by monobath »

Ooops. Sorry for posting that so many times. It didn't seem like the submit button was working...
Angus

Post by Angus »

I don't own a pressure plate, the film was put through my Elmo Super 110 which I've owned since 1986 and probably put a couple of hundred of carts through it without ever having any problems or modifications to camera or cartridge.

Cartridge was in date, bought earlier this year expires sometime in 2005 (possibly 08/05)

Tram lines affecy approx 45 feet of the 50 foot film :(
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Just had a roll of K40 back from Switzerland and BIG WANDERING BLUE LINES on the right of the frame. They change in thickness and sometimes go green and double lines too. They seriously wave side to side in a very annoying fashin too and we are talking BIG BOLD lins not the faint things I've once or twice seen before.
NOW HERE'S THE THING:
I shot half the reel with a Nizo 156 and the rest with a Eumig Nautica, so this is PROOF that it's NOT the camera!
Time for a phone call to the big yellow K!!!
BLAHHHHHH! :evil:

Ben
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I placed an order today at Kodak for some Vision, and informed them about the blue streak problem. they did't have much to say, but gave me a # of a rep in San Fran to call, and she will supposedly be do the research.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I'll bet they have big red fuzzy 1970s carpet at the Kodak Labs and listen to the shuffle plating on the canned radio while wearing winged tipped shoes with steel taps! ...that has to be the only answer. Good thing I work on my own computers...they would kill them in a heartbeat.

Seriously, I looked over the streaks after being "workprinted" and they look more like static than by anything like a nicked film gate or roller or what have you. At some stage in processing there must some static electricity somewhere in the food chain. Either that or some bloke gets his jollies randomly ruining customers films. We agree it is not the cameras nor the carts (16 and super 8) so it must be the chemical developers combined with something metal or something similar.

Maybe it is an indication of poorly made film at the factory prior to it ever getting into a cart or a can. One of those two. It is not the operators (us).

Good luck.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
tbruegg

Post by tbruegg »

Maybe it is an indication of poorly made film at the factory prior to it ever getting into a cart or a can. One of those two. It is not the operators (us).
yes! and it's not the pressure plate either. i had this on a film a year back and i used the pressure plate for the first time. of course i thought it's the plate and wrote an email to the plate manufacturer. they thought it's either a damaged cartridge or a problem when the film is taken out the cartridge by the lab. I always use the pressure plate since with different cams and never had it again.

but it's like the blue flashes in black areas has ever anyone heard a clear statement from Kodak about those? I allready start to like those blue flashes.... :)

Thomas
Angus

Post by Angus »

Got my second cart back yesterday, perfect processing no problems whatsoever so whatever is happening the fault is intermittent.

Thing is, both cartridges were bought from the same source, both had the same date and were likely from the same batch.