zeiss moviflex ms8 please help

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

cineandy

zeiss moviflex ms8 please help

Post by cineandy »

Hi, just arrived today is the above camera, instructions in Itailian. I can usually work out most super 8 cameras but not this one. Can you set the exposure manually??? If so how. What does the red button underneath do, when i press it a light operates under the camera. Thankyou for any replies, Andy
vegetable man

Post by vegetable man »

viewtopic.php?t=4512&highlight=moviflex ... d91cf8d7d7

My english in not very good, so better read the old topic. The red button an the light is the battery test button.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, well it looks like i have purchased another lemon camera on ebay, the auto iris swings to f1.9, if you manually adjust the f-stop to say 5.6, depress the trigger release it rotates back to f1.9, even in full sun. The camera is mint, and the glass in stunning condition,
another camera for the shelf!!!!!!!
Astro

Post by Astro »

it could probably be fixed. In London a company called Sendean offers a service 020 7734 0895 or sendeancameras@aol.com
Astro :wink:
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

cineandy wrote:Hi, well it looks like i have purchased another lemon camera on ebay, the auto iris swings to f1.9, if you manually adjust the f-stop to say 5.6, depress the trigger release it rotates back to f1.9, even in full sun. The camera is mint, and the glass in stunning condition,
This is very sad to know. Hopefully it can be fixed. Are you pointing the lens right in the sun and it still goes to f1.9?
If it can not be fixed, let me know - I have a pristine MS8 that I may sell - fully working and in a great condition. It also comes with its original front lens cap and the original bayonet type Zeiss Ikon Skylight filter.
I love this camera - so why I may sell it? Good question: I moved up the Zeiss Ikon GS8 Synchro :-D
Although whenever I look at the lens of the MS8 I almost change my mind. The footage I shot with it is fantastic, and the color on the lens coating is just amazing.
avortex

Post by avortex »

mmmh... count me in as another possible buyer...
Marc
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, well i went out this afternoon and took some scenes with the camera on manual setting, using the cable release, ( thanks to the link provided by vegatable man, and thanks to who originally posted the info ). Anyway, after pressing the trigger by mistake, i noticed the iris stayed at f5.6, yes the auto exposure has now sprung into life. Anyway, i think a few more outing are required first, i now have noticed the footage indicator dont work.
Lunar07, i am not sure what other cameras you have used in your time, how does the zeiss compare to say a Leicina special with 10mm lens, canon 514/814/1014xls or a beaulieu 4008 with 6-80 lens. How do you rate the auto exp system on the zeiss. And finally, i would be interested in your camera if you decide to sell, what price would you like for the camera. thanks everyone who has posted replies, Andy
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

cineandy wrote:Hi, well it looks like i have purchased another lemon camera on ebay, the auto iris swings to f1.9, if you manually adjust the f-stop to say 5.6, depress the trigger release it rotates back to f1.9, even in full sun. The camera is mint, and the glass in stunning condition,
Don't shelf it! I had one of these and thought I had the same problem. Someone here (Santo) explained that if you use the remote trigger to run the camera, the aperture stays where you left it. Touch the normal trigger and auto kicks in. It's actually quite a brilliant design.

Rick
http://www.friendlyfirefilms.ca
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

I am shooting a roll with my new Zeiss Ikon G S8 Synchro. When I process the footage and make sure camera is fine, I will be able to make up my mind on selling the M S8. I just hate to part with it, and can not make up my mind.
As to the quality - I have used a Bauer 512, Bauer 207XL, Nizo Pro, Nizo 6080, Eumig 881 PMA, Nikon R10, and Canon 1014. The last two were lent by friends. I never used a Leicina. I have to say that the footage shot with a Zeiss Ikon M S8 is the sharpest of the group. To give you an indication - I have different shots where I fade out by pointing the camera toward the sun while applying pressure to the f-stop knob so that the aperture closes slowly as the camera sets the aperture automatically. This camera can give you footage where the sun appears clearly in the frame with localized 'starry' flares. Around the sun, in the frame, clouds and sky preserve their colors. Not a mess of flares destroying the frame as the sun light is diffused all over the lens. Just very beautiful.
After using the M S8, this is the camera I use in addition to the Bauer 512 and Eumig 881 PMA. The latter two for specialized shooting with the intervalometer and time exposrue.