Michael Moore

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

simong

Post by simong »

sorry...didnt make myself clear in previous post...

what unxetas said is what I meant, whith a media which is very HEY! YOU! WATCH THIS PROGRAM...ITS KERAYZEE!, moore perhaps has to sensationalise to get people to listen to something he feels is important.

In the UK thats not as necessary.

I'm not, by the way trying to say the UK is better, just very different. And we should all as filmmakers be interested in media styles etc.

Admin: my apologies for dragging oput an off topic post.

(british people also apologise nuff in case you hadnt noticed)
escubria

Post by escubria »

Channel 4 in the U.K. showed an excellent documentary on Blair some weeks ago and focused on his religious zealotry which could explain a fraction of his lies, not all but some.

I think Moore has decided to play the media at it's own game which is fair enough.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

just? did you realize how you just lowered your credibility on this and all other filmmaking boards forever?

Lowered my credibility. I suppose there is some sarcasim in the there somewhere?

I've made films before. The footage was original, unlike moore's.
I'm working on a documentary. going to use about 25% archivial footage.
shooting the rest myself.

Have you even seen the farenheight 9/11? Its 90% b roll moore didnt even shoot.
Astro

Mike Moore

Post by Astro »

Has anyone seen the Feature Documentry 'The World according to Bush' released in France recently.
It's supposed to be much more hard hitting and includes History behind the Bush Wealth.

On another note, I like the idea of using pre-shot footage, but when I tried it for a recent T.V slot, I wanted to use GMTV footage and it cost a fortune....So that was that...I ended up shooting my own fake T.V footage.....But I'd still love to Punk out other peoples footage and get it transmitted.
Astro
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
mattias

Post by mattias »

camera8mm wrote:The footage was original, unlike moore's.
do you have a point or is that just information? my mother can shoot original footage, but can she make a film? as for losing cred, you have and it's not coming back. sorry.

/matt
Astro

Post by Astro »

my dad shoots hours of footage on holiday. Watching it is the worst part.
Mike understands the power of the image and looks to achieve his point within the short time span. Bowling for Columbine was an excellent example.
On a technical level he has acheived a brilliant work that has got people talking.
Astro
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

camera8mm wrote:I've made films before. The footage was original, unlike moore's.
The interviews with soldiers, with Lila, with several others - as well as some of the footage of Bush - was Moore's footage. I saw a lot of original footage (all 3 times I've seen it now, hot shot).
I'm working on a documentary. going to use about 25% archivial footage. shooting the rest myself.
So then you're just like Moore.
Have you even seen the farenheight 9/11? Its 90% b roll moore didnt even shoot.
It's more like 50/50, but put away your ruler, little man - no need to do the penis measure thing here. Michael Moore has shot more film and contributed more to the political discourse than a pipsqueak whiner like you could ever hope to accomplish. There's a reason he's famous and you (and I) are not. He puts his camera where his mouth is. You'd have to remove your head from your ass to do that.
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

hmm didnt realized how much a holes some of you are.
until now.
who are you people and why should i even care about what you're shooting.

ok its more like 50% original footage, 50% archival footage i'm going to use.

I point out moore didnt shoot 90% of the picture and I get creamed for it.
go figure.

I suppose moore was there in 79 and he shot rumsfeld with sadaam hussein.
ah ha

I agree with what moore is saying, not how he says it.

note: dont discuss a polical film, discuss a religous one instead.
:)
Cutty201

Post by Cutty201 »

Ok I haven't read all the replies to this yet but I decided that I needed to address a few posters who just blatantly try to discredit Mr. Moore:

First off EVERYTHING HE SHOWS IS TRUE! Michael Moore doesn't make anything up. He may take things out of context but whatever he does he does to further his point. I am sick of conservatives who just get upset over things they don't see. "LIES LIES" then when confronted about it they respond with "Oh well maybe they AREN't LIES but still ... he makes my guy look bad so HE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON!" And it USUALLY (not all the time) happens to be those same angery people that are pro war, anti gun control and the like.

At the very least Michael Moore should be given a lil respect, HE's MADE IT BIG MAKING DOCUMENTARIEs on the stuff people are afraid to do. The man has balls of steel and it really gets to me that the people who bash him don't even recognize that he's worked hard to get where he is. The man is out trying to do what he considers the right thing (trying to prevent the pointless deaths of American Soldiers...imagine that is construed as a bad thing). The fact that you are so angry about it further proves that the film has made you feel something (especially if ya haven't seen it) which usually defines a great film. Any movie you walk away that leaves a mark on ya are usually the great ones.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Cutty201 wrote: I am sick of conservatives who just get upset over things they don't see. "LIES LIES" then when confronted about it they respond with "Oh well maybe they AREN't LIES but still ... he makes my guy look bad so HE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON!" And it USUALLY (not all the time) happens to be those same angery people that are pro war, anti gun control and the like.
Boy does that O'Reilly clip prove your point!

http://cdn.moveon.org/data/ShutUp_Final_BbandLo.mov
DirtyHarry

Post by DirtyHarry »

Seems to me that pointing out a fat person's girth is somehow being used to discredit them.
Damn I HATE this kind of stuff... and I love Moore's works... even those for the TV.
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

camera8mm wrote:who are you people and why should i even care about what you're shooting.
I'd ask the same question of you. But I know who you are: a small, insignificant, unsuccessful, unknown filmmaker who gets a burr under his saddle because someone else is successful.

When (make that If) you grow up, you'll realize that the best position is to praise the work of successful filmmakes like Moore, who make it possible for petulant punks like you to make and eventually market their little films. This is an even greater truth in the realm of non-fiction film, a historically under-funded and unpopular genre which has been enjoying an increased popularity and marketability that can be linked directly to Moore.
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

[quote]'d ask the same question of you. But I know who you are: a small, insignificant, unsuccessful, unknown filmmaker who gets a burr under his saddle because someone else is successful.

When (make that If) you grow up, you'll realize that the best position is to praise the work of successful filmmakes like Moore, who make it possible for petulant punks like you to make and eventually market their little films.[/quote]

geez, you're really pathic resorting to name calling to prove your point, of which you dont have one.

I stand by what I said earlier. moore used 90%b roll he didnt shoot. You call me a punk for that, you're no better than those behind the patriot act.

No, i am not going to be a conformist.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hey, you guys! (camera8mm and calgodot)

I've read all the posts in this thread and maybe I missed something but both you guys approve of Michael Moore as well as his message. You just have a minor disagreement on how he goes about it. Most directors of big films never shoot a single foot themselves and they hardly ever physically get involved in the actual editing. So what you're arguing about is the amount of B roll he used that he didn't shoot himself? To my knowledge he never held a camera nor cut a single frame of film so I'm not sure what there is to argue about, really.

I suppose it's really none of my business and I am just as guilty of hammering away in online arguments as anyone but why don't you two step back and repost your respective positions about Moore without the attitude. I think you'll find that you agree more than you disagree on this subject.

Roger
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

DirtyHarry wrote:
Seems to me that pointing out a fat person's girth is somehow being used to discredit them.
Damn I HATE this kind of stuff... and I love Moore's works... even those for the TV.
Hey, take it easy chubby! No one said you have to stop loving Michael Moore; or krispy kremes either!
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.