Disappointment with new Vision 2 200T

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

matt5791

Re: V200T

Post by matt5791 »

Astro wrote:But I hate getting things serviced
I think this might be your problem.

There is no way on earth that a mechanical device like a super8 camera will produce consistant good registration without proper regular servicing.

I've said it before on this forum, but people are far too quick to blame the format for the problems they suffer, without looking first elsewhere.

matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
Freya

Post by Freya »

Astro wrote:But I hate getting things serviced
I think you need a filmo!

Then you can just feed it sewing machine oil! ;)

love

Freya
Astro

200T

Post by Astro »

Sounds good.....When I read the posts on this site I am always amazed at the waelth of knowledge available....i learn something new everyday.

But I still think the Vision 2 demos were generally unremarkable...considering the Hype some of the Reps gave out.

But then I can't think what is was i wanted to see.....i miss that look from films stocks used to shoot Taxi driver or Superman....a strange quality of colour and a tweeny bit of grain 8O
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Astro wrote:Do Kodak reps know about these cartridges? :o
Have no idea but i believe they fall way out of line for their logistics.

Anyway, have you checked the ISO notching on the V200T/2 cartridge?

I shot a test batch with PRO8mm neg last year ISO 50D/200T(rebadged Kodak) /250D/500T and found that they were all going (very) grainy on lower or under exposure. On the other hand in very strong daylight even the 500T became no-grain exposed at ISO400.

Now, if your cam use auto ISO setting (Notch system) and the new cart is differently or even incorrectly notched (have you checked the filter notch? incorrect on the old V200Ts - new film could be more sensitive here) which in turn may cause the incorrect exposure.

Example - if the new V2200T/2 cart were notched for ISO 500 [by mistake - since they launch it too] but the film is 200 you´d most likely get pretty severe underexposureand grain.

Easy to check.

My Twinola DoNuts

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Astro

200T

Post by Astro »

Cartridge Notches: That's something to check....But the exposure was absoluley spot on..The colours are so rich....I have no complaints about that.
Once I shot some K40 from a Park over looking the Manhatten Skyline on a Sunny day and the footage was so so grainy.
The same day I shot some K40 at night using an Auto B setting and the image was so sharp the grain was nowhere. So maybe atmosphere plays a part....something called Ariel Perspective to do with the moisture in the air. :?
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: 200T

Post by S8 Booster »

Astro wrote: Once I shot some K40 from a Park over looking the Manhatten Skyline on a Sunny day and the footage was so so grainy......So maybe atmosphere plays a part....something called Ariel Perspective to do with the moisture in the air. :?
I experienced the same phenomena under simlar conditions with the old 200T but Mattias had a comment on this that it might have been influenced by some paramters in the transfer job. Do not remember his exact terms.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Astro

200T

Post by Astro »

:wink:
A Rep from Kodak said to me last week that more Super-8 Negative is to be released....I'm hoping the 7212....Then we can talk grain size if the hypes true..this is the finest yet...even more than K40...Who knows.
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Jake

You're a man with contacts at Kodak - have you heard anything about a new reversal for super-8, or the long dreaded scrapping of K40?
what what
zaefod

It's the equipment

Post by zaefod »

I think that it is your camera. Super 8 is what it is, a very small guage film, with the inherent qualities. Embrace them! The old vision stock and the new are beautiful stocks. As is Ektachrom and Kodachrome. I shoot with a modified(enlarged gate 1.66) Nizo 6080. I get gorgeous results with any and all stocks. Unless I screwed up. I have no problem using super 8 for commercial use. Very predictable and reliable. Get your camera checked out or try another one.
matt5791

Re: It's the equipment

Post by matt5791 »

zaefod wrote:I think that it is your camera. Super 8 is what it is, a very small guage film, with the inherent qualities. Embrace them! The old vision stock and the new are beautiful stocks. As is Ektachrom and Kodachrome. I shoot with a modified(enlarged gate 1.66) Nizo 6080. I get gorgeous results with any and all stocks. Unless I screwed up. I have no problem using super 8 for commercial use. Very predictable and reliable. Get your camera checked out or try another one.
This is my feeling too. It is very rare that I experience stability issues, and I love the distict look of Super8.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
alan doyle

new vision 2 200asa

Post by alan doyle »

i have just telecined a job on v2 200asa,and have to say that stability and grain structure are a let down..
i do not think the cartridges have been upgraded..
you may think this is wacky,but i have 6 year old telecined footage on digi,shot on
surveilance film 93 (200asa) and it is finer grain and more stable...
in six months when we have ektachrome 100d and vision 2 100asa,in super 8..i might be happier..
i shoot and sometimes i score
christoph

Re: It's the equipment

Post by christoph »

zaefod wrote:I shoot with a modified(enlarged gate 1.66) Nizo 6080. I get gorgeous results with any and all stocks.
sorry to high-jack this thread, but dont you get vignetting with the 6080 on open f-stops on the widened area?

++ christoph ++
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Hmm, i still plan to use the new visions.. but mainly for their speed for what i'm shooting. hopefully they will be better in the tungston lights. if i'm shooting outside in the day, K-40 shoots too well and cheap to use high speed expessive negetives. i can use my pressure plate for better registration, but urgh.. don't wan't to loose it changing carts in a dark club.