Ebay: more & more "send to germany only" on ge

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Basstruc

Ebay: more & more "send to germany only" on ge

Post by Basstruc »

Allready two german ebay sellers that refuse to conclue deals with me only because they refuse to send worldwide. I'm from france, not like if I were living on the other side of the world. Did you also noticed this or am I unlucky ? If yes, why the hell is it ?
Talk me about europe ...
Matt
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Most ebay sellers I've dealt with are willing to ship internationally when asked per email. Only a few with very heavy or fragile items have refused.

sunrise
Ericus

Post by Ericus »

I have always asked if they sent abroad before bidding. Once there was a man who said that my shippment was his first one outside German and all went well!
Ask beforehand, then there should be no problems.
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

I think that the reason why many Germans don't wan't to sell anywhere else, is that they don't speak english. Have you tryed to write in germany?

Petteri
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Sounds stupid to me - you're the one who pays the cost - perhaps you could drive over and pick it up - couldn't be that far away (of course it would add to the over all cost to you of the item)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
aj

ask ahead

Post by aj »

It is not a trend but just bad luck or coincident.

Most of the time sellers are not aware of foreign exclusions in their auctions. It is probably a default in eBay.

Most germans can read and write english. So just ask ahead of auction-end.
Kind regards,

André
tr0x

Re: Ebay: more & more "send to germany only" o

Post by tr0x »

Basstruc wrote: Talk me about europe ...
Matt
Well... i've found that is better to send an email before bidding, many auctions are labelled "worldwide shipping" just because of an error from the seller...

...i was looking for a usb adapter and found 2 auctions: the first from uk, the other from germany. Well... while shipment from uk was £1, shipment from germany to italy (to other countries like france was less... why? ....europe.... europe???) was 15euro. Totally crazy!
The other main problem is that most sellers in germany don't accept credit card payments...
So, i usually buy from USA.....

Sorry, europe (?).....

bye.

tr0x
jean

Post by jean »

It's payment hassle, I guess. If I sell to have quick cash, a sale abroad virtually defeats the purpose. Second, they are afraid of even more hassles with goods disappearing in the foreign postal service. I went through a lot of trouble with Italy and UK..

Now within germany this is well settled, and after an enormous period everything is cleared by the post. But abroad, if something disappears, you're screwed. Insuring is ridiculously expensive, and it is virtually impossible to match the postal regulations.

So, in te end, once a seller gets burned, I think he won't do it again, and after overhearing bad experiences from others, some may decide that the risk is not worth it.
have fun!
mathis

Post by mathis »

Scotness wrote:- perhaps you could drive over and pick it up - couldn't be that far away
Europe is not that small..... :lol:
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Talking about driving accross Europe to pick up Ebay items...
I recently sold a Fumeo 16mm projector on the dreaded 'bay the other week. I had i listed as local pick-up only, but it ended up going with a "buy it now" bid from a chap in Spain! The chap paid paid me by PayPal within minutes and then anounced that he would drive from Spain to London to collect it!!! He did just this and drove straight back too! Now there's dedication if ever I met it, unbelievable! Great chap, the nicest guy you could ever meet really. I also bought an item from an Austrian seller who very trustingly sent the item before I made payment on the basis of my feedback record, so there are some trully top traders out there! Infact most mainland European traders I have encountered have been only too happy to send to the UK. Perhaps a couple a little reluctant, and it's usually the fact that they really like bank transfers in Germany that causes complications. It's free within the mainland, but as far as I know still cost lots from the UK to Germay etc!?

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff!

Ben
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

mathis wrote:
Scotness wrote:- perhaps you could drive over and pick it up - couldn't be that far away
Europe is not that small..... :lol:
Yes it is - it's all psychological - France and Germany are right next door to each other too - but the point is does Matt want to - or should he have to --- on good eBay dealers a bloke in the UK sent me an R16 mag too before I'd payed him - he was going on holidays and wanted to get it done - I payed him a few days later - I requested sea mail and it took months to get here - but I wasn't in a rush

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K