Beaulieu 7008? What's it worth?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andersens Tears

Beaulieu 7008? What's it worth?

Post by Andersens Tears »

Hi all! :)

I've seen a Beaulieu 7008 advertised for sale. It is apparently in perfect working order and like new cosmetic condition. The seller has not listed a price, just 'reasonable offers only'. :roll:

Could anyone tell me what a 'reasonable offer' for this camera would be? :?:

I'm in the UK, but any price in any currency would be a great help!

Many thanks in advance!

'Tears :wink:
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Be ready to pay up to £600-700 for it.

Depends on condition and extras.

sunrise
Andersens Tears

:wink: Tak Sunrise!

'ha det godt!
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Is it the PRO or the "S" version?

The PRO is priced at least 50% higher.
Andersens Tears

:roll:

I checked, and the add said 'Pro Super 8'... didn't mention that it was a 'Pro S'....

Does this model have a better spec?

Cheers,

'Tears :wink:
Ericus

Post by Ericus »

I had had a Beaulieu 6008S model for years and I was very happy with it. Then I bought a Pro version of 6008 and again I was very happy with that one. -But still I had a dream to own a 7008Pro model and last spring I bought one (eBay) and paid some 2200 USD for it. It was in absolutely mint condition with an Angenieux 6-90 lens. I know it was a terrible hig price, but I just went grazy :twisted: and had to have it!

Erkki
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Ericus wrote:But still I had a dream to own a 7008Pro model and last spring I bought one (eBay) and paid some 2200 USD for it.
I don't think you paid a high price for a mint one because you can't even find one nowadays in Ebay. The last one auctioned was back in September! IMHO, this is the last best camera ever built.
Andersens Tears wrote:I checked, and the add said 'Pro Super 8'... didn't mention that it was a 'Pro S'.... Does this model have a better spec?
Sometimes they call the 7008S as a Pro also because all 7008's are pro cameras. So better watch out there. The real 7008Pro has the label on the camera as "Beaulieu 7008Pro". The 7008Pro has a faster shutter speed of 80fps compared to 56fps on the "S" model. The Pro also can easily be crystal sync'ed through a module that you plug at the back of the camera. The "S" model has built-in sound that you may no longer need.
anvalin

Post by anvalin »

Hi all.
Jürgen Lossau* gives the following collector's values for two 7008 variations (Pro 2 [fps 1+4+9+18+24+36+80] and PRO [fps 24+25, guess this is the synch'd var.]) : 1000/1100 USD. He misses out the 7008 S [fps 1+4+9+18+24+36+56] that I bought recently for 1055 USD, normally sold at 1240 USD in photo stores here in Germany. He rates the 9008 at 1300 USD. Values may have been revised significately in the book's supplement from 2003 which I don't have.

*Filmkameras. Movie cameras. atoll media, Hamburg 2000.

BTW, a very interesting tome.

Does anyone know how (and where and at which cost) to crystal synch a 7008 S?
André van Linn
http://www.anvalin.net/super8aid
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

9008 at 1300 USD. I will get one!

I already asked Berndt Kretzer of Bavaria. They have the 9008. But I don't think they will sell one for 1300 USD because, at present, their 7008s with a nice f1.2 6-90mm lens , for example, is already selling at over 1500 USD. Bavaria will not sell the 9008 body only. It will come with a lens and the lens makes a big difference how these cameras are priced.

7008s for 1055 USD is a good price. What is the lens that came with it?
ericMartinJarvies

Post by ericMartinJarvies »

after owning lots of beaulieu cameras(including 7008's), i would say that you could save your money and purchase a nizo pro/canon 1014xls and make just as good a movie/image. aside from not being able to change the lenses and not having gg, you will most likely not be able to tel lthe differanc if shooting in manual mode and having a complete understanding of your camera(knowing how to properly focus it, f-stop it, etc.).

i recently purchased a set of prime lenses(high end), and am going to remove the lens on either a canon or a nizo and install a bayo or pl mount in its place. then i will shoot some film using these s16 prime lenses, complete manual exposure obviously. i will venture to assume this camera will product some nice images. however, if i really wanted to jaz t up, i would install a really nice 8mm lens(like the 6-90), as using a lens created specifially for s8(magnification factor) would really show its true colors(greater mm coverage and better resolution, correct??).

does anyone know what the absolute best lens ever made for the 8/s8 camera was/is? i do not know, but would be interest in knowing.

it would be hard to go wrong purchasing a beaulieu becasue they are so simple, except the 7008's have lots of electronics installed. but all of the battery issues, and on this particular camera(7008), that darn battery handle really gets in the way, especially with tripod and mattebox use. without that protruding handle and if ti had a metal casing, it would be my number #1 choice for super8. if nizo pro or canon 1014xls has c-mount or m-42, or any type of inter-changable mount, then those would most likely be the camera of choice becasue they are small, easy, no battery problems, and on and on. being able to record sound while using a film camera is important, and bealieu cameras a noisy, even when blimped. i had a full metal blimp for the 7008, and i had to remove the cover from the 7008 and load it up with foam whereever there was empty space inside, even rubbign up agaisnt the gears(doesn't hurt anything as long as there is not pressure), then coated the inside body panels with undercoating rubber, and that took care of it. too bad they did not use belts in those cameras instead of those darn noisy gears.

eric
eric martin jarvies
#7 avenido jarvies
pueblo viejo
cabo san lucas, baja california sur. mexico
cp 23410
044 624 141 9661
disjecta

Post by disjecta »

I don't know about the greatest s8 lens ever but the one on my Bauer s715xl is about as sweet as they come. Angenieux f1.4 - f32, 6-90mm zoom lens. There is absolutely no vignetting on either end of the range and the colors are warm and vivid with no visible color cast that I've seen. Also images are super-sharp.

The only disadvantage is its size. It is a huge lens (72mm) so the attachment options (particularly for anamorphic lenses) are pretty limited.
My needs are few but very expensive.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

ericMartinJarvies wrote:does anyone know what the absolute best lens ever made for the 8/s8 camera was/is? i do not know, but would be interest in knowing.
If you are talking zoom lens, there is a general consensus here in this site that the best lens are:

Angeniuex f1.2 6-90mm
Angeniuex f1.2 6-80mm
Schneider f1.8 6-66mm

For a prime:

Cinegon f1.8 10mm for the Leicina Special

If the choice is for 1 lens only, it has to be the Angenieux f1.2 6-90mm. This is a rare and expensive lens. I'm planning to test all 4 lenses.
Santo

Post by Santo »

Here's the last 7008 that came up on ebay. To find the best super 8 cameras ever made, one usually has to keep on top of ebay.de.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Eric, best lens question is a pretty blurry one. If you do a search on this site under something like "lens and quality", there's an informal, unscientific one that gives some idea. However, I do scratch my head at it once it drops down the list from the top 5 or 6 as it doesn't fit at all with my pretty recent back to back experience. But no matter. It's a very subjective survey.

LastQuark, you promised this comparison test months ago. I sure hope you do it. You've got a great collection of cameras.
Elmogs

Post by Elmogs »

I have a 6008s MD. Meaning it is pretty much like the 7008s with the Full ground glass focusing, ability to shoot at 56fps with sound cartridges and the digital frame counter. And the best thing about it? It came with the 1.2 6mm-90mm lens, complete instructions, all the original accessories, Beaulieu Microphone. I payed less than a thousand and the pictures are truly the sharpest and most gorgeous shots I have ever seen. Kodachrome 40 of course as well!
aj

and the winner is

Post by aj »

ericMartinJarvies wrote:
does anyone know what the absolute best lens ever made for the 8/s8 camera was/is? i do not know, but would be interest in knowing.

If you are talking zoom lens, there is a general consensus here in this site that the best lens are:

Angeniuex f1.2 6-90mm
Angeniuex f1.2 6-80mm
Schneider f1.8 6-66mm
Proclaiming consensus without asking?

I expect the Nikkor on the R10 the be the sharpest. Difficult to put on another machine because it is mounted in two parts in the camera. Getting things properly aligned and adjusted without a chassis built to measure seems impossible to me.

I know from own experience that it is sharper than Schneiders and the small Angenieux.

And you do not need this silly pressure plate on this machine. And when properly maintained they are not really that noisy.

I have a diehard Leica fan friend who finds the Nikon superior and even bought one.

Eric: Aren't your camera wishes fullfilled with a Leicina? Saves a lot of time, buying one instead of building one... You can start your filmproject sooner.
Kind regards,

André