Anamorphic Iscorama 54 Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

LastQuark

Anamorphic Iscorama 54 Question

Post by LastQuark »

To all owners of Iscorama 54,

Is this the popular Iscorama 54 Anamorphic lens shown below?

I'm looking for one and I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Thanks.
Last edited by LastQuark on Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ericus

Post by Ericus »

Yes, that is the one! I have one of these great lenses.

Ericus
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Indeed that is the one.

I have one too and like it very much, although it is quite heavy.

I have shot some Provia 100 with it recently. I would have sent it to the lab already, had I not been covered up to my ears in work... :(

As you can see, it fits directly to the filter threads of the Angenieux. Some kind of rod setup is recommended. I saw that yours have holes in the extension part/step down ring drilled already. You could make use of them with a home built bottom plate and rods.

"ISCORAMA-54
Magnification (horizontal).......1.5x
Distance Scale..........2m to infinity
Rear Barrel Diameter...........78mm
Rear Lens Element Diameter...54mm
Length..............................102.5mm (maximum)
Net Weight........................1000 grams
Filter Thread......................95mm
Rear Barrel Threading.........77mm
Light-loss Absorbtion...........1/3 Stop or less"

"Iscorama lenses have a unique design in that they have you set the focus of the prime lens to infinity and then only set the focus in use on the A-lens itself. This applies only to their 1.5x compression lenses though."

( http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavende ... rphic.html )
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Mikael,

Whow! That's the same set-up I'm going to have. I'm also going to put it on a 7008Pro with an Angenieux 6-80 F1.2.

Which lens do you have? Is that also the Angenieux 6-80 F1.2 without the LCU? What is your available zoom range with the A-lens?

It looks real heavy for the Beaulieu mount or C-mount. I sure will put a brace support for it.
souper8

I have a 54MC too but I cannot align it properly.

Post by souper8 »

Since you guys have thie same lens as I do, you can give me some advice. I think my rotation spring release mechanism is jammed. Do you guys know if I am supposed to use it this way. First screw it on my camera and then release spring mechanism and rotate front element without loosening screw threads? Am I missing something? I would like to use it on my 7-90 1.2 angenieux 7008 pro also.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Souper8,

I just received my Iscorama 54 the other day. It came with the original box but I did not get the instruction manual. From what I can tell, though, that is the way to align the "top" of the A-lens to the camera. Make sure to press the button on the A-lens before rotating it.

My next project is to secure the A-lens to the 7008 using rod support. Since there are 3 or more of us here with the same equipment, can you share your rods and brace set-up and where you bought it? Or do you have any plans on buying the support set-up form SRBfilm, for example? Perhaps we can convince them to give us a special pricing on a quantity buy?
disjecta

Post by disjecta »

I have no clue if these guys can accomodate the exact size you are looking for, but give their site a look:

http://www.cavision.com
Yemi

Post by Yemi »

Hi LastQuark.

Sorry for not responding to your post earlier....I'm currently out of town.
I love my Iscorama 54 it produces excellent images and I am compelled to shoot anamorphic super8 exclusively with this lens.

I did own an Cavision Anamorphic lens holder for the Beaulieu 6008 but it was designed to hold a different lens not an Iscorama. I built the Cavision holder by starting off with Cavision 200mm rods and the tripod mounting plate. I then added the Beaulieu 6008/7008/9008 flat base adapter to get the thing horizontal. The lens clamp assembly was the Cavision 3x3 matte box adapter that mounts onto the rods and should clamp lenses with an outer diameter of 80mm to 100mm....Cavision can supply shims for a snug fit. Finally I had to add my own simple vertical extension riser since the vertical distance from the c-mount to the camera base is quite large.

The mount was very nice and sturdy and the carbon rods are very stiff.
Why did I sell it? Because I needed compact simplicity and that's exactly what the Iscorama 54 gives me. Unlike most anamorphics (which are actually designed for projectors) the Iscorama can be threaded directly onto the end of a camera lens, aligned independently and with the main lens set to infinity then you only need to focus via the distance ring on the end of the Iscorama.

I avoid large zoom lenses because the excess weight may damage the lens/mount AND I also want to avoid vignetting at the wide angle. I like shooting at the wide angle not only because of the viewing angle but because you also have plenty of depth of field. I suggest you try and determine the cutoff (vignetting point) for your big Angenieux. I have had best results with smaller zoom lenses such as 8-64mm , 7-56mm , 8-48mm , etc.

My Canon 814 vignettes at 10mm and my Canon 518 SV doesn't show any vignetting whatsover!! The result is a very flexible and easy to use anamorphic camera set-up. Mounting the Iscorama simply requires the right filter step-up rings. Easy peasy. Canon lenses are damn good too.

------
Yemi
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Where have you guys found your lenses?

Everytime I look at ebay, it's either insufficient information (for my lack of knowledge on the subject) or horrible prices.

I've had no luck at local camera shops either, unless a want to buy a new expensive lens.

I'd love an anamorphic setup, and I have been looking at the great setup in the classifieds. But I never seem able to find any.

I have no photographic education, everything I've learned so far has been from here or my own experince. So I don't really fancy spend hundreds of USD, euros or whatever on something that I'm not sure will work...

I own a Beaulieu with a Schneider lens, by the way. Quite close to your setup. I'd love to find a x1.75 or x2 anamorphic setup for it...

Cheers
sunrise
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Disjecta,

You just said the magic word - Cavision. This took me to Yemi who had several posts here.

Yemi,

Thanks for the information. If you still have the pictures and if you don't mind, please email them to me so I can post them to my server or upload them in this site. I have seen your set-up but I can no longer find the pictures.

Sunrise,

I had no luck looking for a good one in Ebay also. I was able to get mine from Marriott after running a google search - "iscorama 54 anamorphot". I saw the item several weeks before but I'm not looking for an A-lens at that time. Luckily, several weeks later after deciding to get one, it is still there and picked it up without hesitation. The lens can still be found in google cache.