500T in Adelaide city street at night

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

500T in Adelaide city street at night

Post by Patrick »

This footage was shot last year in Hindley Street, Adelaide, South Australia on two different nights. My first time shooting 500T. Film was exposed with a Canon 1014E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmV7kyhN8Q
Charlie Blackfield

Re: 500T in Adelaide city street at night

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Thanks a lot, Patrick, that looks great.

For years, a couple of 500T cartridges have been lingering in my fridge. Maybe it's time to use them - and you've given me some ideas.

Charlie
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for the good words, Charlie. And it's good that you're going to shoot that 500T! I admit that I drew inspiration myself from city night scenes in movies like Taxi Driver and Midnight Cowboy.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Patrick wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm This footage was shot last year in Hindley Street, Adelaide, South Australia on two different nights. My first time shooting 500T. Film was exposed with a Canon 1014E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmV7kyhN8Q
Thanks for sharing Patrick , Makes me want to shoot some 500T . was there much correction in post ? over / under

like the low light filming .

Would also be good to see what this is like transferred to film .

Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin can make positive prints from Kodak Vision3 negative materials.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

To be honest, I'm not sure how much exposure correction (if any) took place in post production because that sort of thing was handled by Nanolab who did the transfer. Prior to filming, I took a light reading but the meter indicated underexposure. So most of the time, I shot with the aperture wide open and hoped for the best.

Yea I admit it would be cool to see positive prints from super 8 negative film. A number of years ago, I had a positive print made from Fuji 16mm negative film but I never saw the results. It was posted back to me with the perforations on the wrong side (assumably wound the wrong way.) Plus there were issues with my 16mm projector. Then later my family moved house and both film cans containing the negative and positive films seemed to have disappeared.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Pretty decent for the 1014E. Good camera but not ideal in low light.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Tscan wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:55 pm Pretty decent for the 1014E. Good camera but not ideal in low light.
I'm guessing you're a fan of the XL cameras? A number of years ago, I filmed some performers in an outdoor stadium at night under artificial lighting with the Canon 1014E and Kodachrome 40. And the results turned out surprisingly good. I think the f1.4 maximum aperture certainly helps.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Patrick wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm
Tscan wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:55 pm Pretty decent for the 1014E. Good camera but not ideal in low light.
I'm guessing you're a fan of the XL cameras? A number of years ago, I filmed some performers in an outdoor stadium at night under artificial lighting with the Canon 1014E and Kodachrome 40. And the results turned out surprisingly good. I think the f1.4 maximum aperture certainly helps.
Yes, i used to have a couple 1014E's and I liked the zoom for outdoor shooting, but was having a hard time with live shows and exposure. Swtiched over to the 814XLS and all was well. K40 looked amazing under tungston when you have enough light.. I wish they would come out with 400T Ektachrome
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Nice effort Patrick,
Just wondered what speed this was filmed at as some of the movement of people seems a bit fast?
I shot a film at night on Ektachrome 160G years ago with a Canon 514XL and was happy with the results. That camera can run at 9 FPS which I used for shots that didn't have any motion or when the cars were driving slowly.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

"I wish they would come out with 400T Ektachrome"
I suppose too much grain is never enough!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Silverdream wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm "I wish they would come out with 400T Ektachrome"
I suppose too much grain is never enough!
It would be a generation ahead of V3 500T, which looks pretty good with a clean scan. Reversal also is, or appears finer grain than color negative. So I would expect that a new 400T reversal could be pretty sharp and tight.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Silverdream wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 pm Nice effort Patrick,
Just wondered what speed this was filmed at as some of the movement of people seems a bit fast?
Footage was shot at 24fps and I told Nanolab (who did the processing and transfer) what speed it was shot at. To me, most of the people seem to move at normal speed except for the young woman with the baseball cap and long black hair near the end of one of the first shots. She does seem to walk a little unnaturally fast, I have to admit. Or perhaps she was in a hurry!
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Tscan,
As you say more stock choice is always good. You also say a new Ektachrome would be a generation ahead of Vision3. Based on that, the new Ektachrome 100D should be better in which case it would match the old Kodachrome 40T.
That would be nice.
Just as a side note, I once read in an old camera magazine from the 80's they did a resolution test of a Super 8 camera (not sure which one, but it was a popular camera) and calculated the lens resolution was over 400 lp/mm. So better film will be a benefit in many of the old cameras.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Patrick,
I had a look at your film again and as you say some people could have been in a hurry. However there's something odd about the movement of the people. I would describe it as jerky. The movement of the cars look fine. I was actually thinking at first your camera might be running a bit slow or unstable, which could be the explanation.
Looking up the specs of your Canon 1014e I see it has a shutter angle of 150°. This could also be the reason. As you know the smaller the shutter angle the more pronounced this harsh movement effect becomes, especially with fast moving objects. It does give a sharper image to each frame though. This is where the 220° XL shutters do better to smooth the motion. That of course means the image of each frame is not as sharp. You probably already knew this but just writing it for the benefit of others not aware. Maybe some motion smoothing in post would help.
It used to be the case that 24FPS films were run at 25FPS during video transfers, so I wonder if Nano Lab does so too.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I'm generally happy with the depiction of motion in the footage. Looks smooth enough to my eyes in most instances. The very first time I shot sports (skateboarding) in super 8 with my Canon 1014E years ago, I used 18fps which I later regretted. Obviously some blur in moving pictures is good but there was too much blur for my liking at that slower frame rate. Since then, whenever I filmed sporting events in super 8, I chose 24fps and got more pleasing, and crisper, results. There was an equestrian event which I filmed at 24fps and the motion of the captured horses was really smooth- though I used a different 1014E for that rather than my current 1014E.