New Nikon R10 owner with some questions..

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nyc dito

New Nikon R10 owner with some questions..

Post by nyc dito »

Hi all, im new to this forum.

I recently acquired an R10 in pretty decent condition. The previous owner did not know anything besides "it used to work and now it doesnt". So i decided to take a chance anyhow.

The film motor does not seem to work. I have put fresh alkaline batteries and am able to get the zoom to work, both speeds F/S. The meter seems to work as well. The light for the battery check also works. I cleaned the electrical contacts on the battery holder and inside the compartment handle. As per suggestions ive read, i also knocked the camera a bit to see if anything happens. Nothing still. I do have it in FOW position as well. I hit the trigger and nothing happens.

I wanted to know if there is anything else i can try aside from taking it apart. I really would love to try to get it working which leads me to another dilemma. I can't seem to find a company that services these. Even here in NYC I only found Duall Camera, but they do not have the R10 listed in their service page.

So im just hoping someone can give me a boost in hope. If not, it might be sidelined for another camera i can find that works. Although from all the praise i read about the R10, i would really like to make my first venture with this camera.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
silverhalide

Re: New Nikon R10 owner with some questions..

Post by silverhalide »

Contact Clarence Gass...
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

The R10 is a great camera with a super nice lens. It gives fantastic sharp and clear images if it is in a good condition. I suggest contacting a camera repair shop. Ie. the one recommended above (I don't know this myself). Best of luck and sorry I can't give any more advice. I personally don't own this camera.

http://gasscamerarepair.com/
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

nyc dito wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 am Hi all, im new to this forum.

I recently acquired an R10 in pretty decent condition. The previous owner did not know anything besides "it used to work and now it doesnt". So i decided to take a chance anyhow.

The film motor does not seem to work. I have put fresh alkaline batteries and am able to get the zoom to work, both speeds F/S. The meter seems to work as well. The light for the battery check also works. I cleaned the electrical contacts on the battery holder and inside the compartment handle. As per suggestions ive read, i also knocked the camera a bit to see if anything happens. Nothing still. I do have it in FOW position as well. I hit the trigger and nothing happens.

I wanted to know if there is anything else i can try aside from taking it apart. I really would love to try to get it working which leads me to another dilemma. I can't seem to find a company that services these. Even here in NYC I only found Duall Camera, but they do not have the R10 listed in their service page.

So im just hoping someone can give me a boost in hope. If not, it might be sidelined for another camera i can find that works. Although from all the praise i read about the R10, i would really like to make my first venture with this camera.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

So you done all this / Here's a manual in case you do not have one https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99845 ... -Zoom.html
Hope this helps if not try & get your money back from seller ! :-?
Henry

Post by Henry »

A chance to get the motor running:
Put the switch on REW instead of FOW
If rewinding is not completed, the R-10 will not start
pip

Post by pip »

That's absolutely right to put the camera on rewind - to see if the camera is "waiting " to be rewound. The fade and dissolve controls are all linked to the motor. If the camera "thinks" that some stage has not been completed, the motor will not work. Particularly, if the camera works on single frame advance, but not on 18 frames per second, there may not be a problem. Try every possibility while pressing the motor button - i.e. open and close the shutter in advance and rewind positions, at 18 fps, 24 fps and single frame, with the dissolve control in forward position, alternatively with the double exposure or overlap positions. Also, pushed the dissolve control forwards and allow it to spring back - do this a few times.
nyc dito

Post by nyc dito »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually ended up getting another camera. I couldn't find this post after a few days and just decided to get something else, a Nizo 801. Since i'm a new member my post was awaiting approval.

So far I've gotten one test roll back and fell in love with the look and feel. This is how i wanted to capture regular life moments.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I will see where on this forum I can post my "Test roll" :)