Kodak awakens, new S8 camera announced at CES '16

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: Kodak awakens, new S8 camera announced at CES '16

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Does anyone have any updates on this camera? Are we going to see the first batch this summer like the rumours are saying? Will the price be $2000?

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Last I heard, they were anticipating May 2017 for the target release date. I tried to get ahold of a rep last month, we exchanged a few massages, but only got to sign up to order once they are availabe. So I'm just patiently waiting to see what May brings. It's still 6 months behind the initial target, so more delays won't be good.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Angus

Post by Angus »

There was a pre-production model preview a few months ago.

it is highly unusual for such a product to actually be delivered according to the original timescale.

Looking at all the available info (and not rumours/requests) there will be more than one version of the camera. The initial release is hoped to be late Spring 2017, probably the more expensive version with other options becoming available in late 2017 when the new Ektachrome is expected to be online.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

May is here and no word on the release. Now it's sounding like fall? Has anyone heard anything?
bradagua

Post by bradagua »

just saw an article from the UK claiming the standard, non Limited edition version will start at $2000. Is that actually true? That seems really high for something that ultimately delivers a limited image. I have 3 super 8 cameras right now that work fine and I haven't spent even half of that.
BobHobbs

Post by BobHobbs »

Do you have a link to the article?
Makin' Magic
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

http://www.hometoys.com/article/2017/04 ... over/36449
This is from April and still confirms the Limited will be $2000 with cheaper mass produced models later. I believe they are making 2000 of the Limited. Another article I saw posted on FB states Sept 2017 as the latest target release. I wish we were getting more info from Kodak instead of random publications. It's not like they are up against anyone with this product, it's just them and their supporters.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

This is what I find interesting from that article...
"The real break through is the S-8’s real-time digital sound. Just slip in an SD card and record one lip- synchronous audio file per take. After shooting, connect the camera or SD card to a computer, drag the audio file underneath the digitalized film[and start editing].”
Can't imagine it's really that simple...to make that work Kodak would have to do some serious work on the film scans.

One way could be each time you press the trigger on the camera you'd get a separate scan file instead of one long continuous scan. Maybe even number each file so you know which audio file to drop on to it? Seems like they could develop software to automatically separate each take as a video file; Resolve can do that with auto "take" detection. Just seems like a lot of work for Kodak to have to do.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Logmar may have implemented the same audio design as their original Beta canera. Each camera start/stop is synchronized to a sequential stamped audio file with a unique file file number. However, it never worked in the original Logmar camera.

Coupled with the camera's digital servo motor/sprocket which is referenced to a crystal time source on the motherboard. The time source is literally military spec to the micro-second.

My point being is that there is miniscule audio or image frame drift. Would be easy to line up sync in a NLE.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
grainy

Post by grainy »

I still think the larger issue with audio is going to be camera noise. The motor is going to have to be very very quiet to be spinning a super 8 cart, unless there's something about the new design that's better insulated than it appears.
However, I am totally rooting for its success!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Nicholas Kovats wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 pm Logmar may have implemented the same audio design as their original Beta canera. Each camera start/stop is synchronized to a sequential stamped audio file with a unique file file number. However, it never worked in the original Logmar camera.
So each start/stop will be sent back to the user as a separate scan file properly named to match the digital audio? Seems difficult implementation but also the only way it would work without some serious human intervention.
Nicholas Kovats

No Will. Not referring to outside scans. I was referring to the Logmar's internal process.
Nicholas Kovats
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Maybe it records to the SD card only when the cart it rolling?
Nicholas Kovats

That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas Kovats
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Crystal sync is all i need after doing it the hard way enough times. I'm used to separate recordings, wild sync, audio drift, and plenty of it. I have a nice little 4 track recorder now too. Not having any drift for once will be luxurious enough for me.