Kodak rumors - new film stocks and hardware

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Re: Kodak rumors - new film stocks and hardware

Post by Tscan »

aj wrote:Wasn't stabilty the main advantage of the Logmar design which is the basis for the Kodak cameras?
The Logmar forms a loop outside the cartridge and runs the film through a metal pressure plate, The Kodak camera just uses the cartridge plate like any other traditional S8 camera. It will also be over 3 times less expensive but with all the other new features.

I really wish they were creating more hype instead of a long secretive wait. They used to do this with film stocks too. I think the top secret model is out dated.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Angus

Post by Angus »

I agree, the "top secret" tactic is very dated. Today people expect exposure, a facebook page, a twitter feed. Even if there are problems in the testing of the camera...people want to see pictures of the process, see some interest generated. Kodak really scored a coup at CES and had one of the top 2 or 3 products there...the hype generated was more than money could buy....but with no news, the mainstream publications have lost interest.

If there is a new colour reversal film (Kodak or Ferrania) I might just buy this camera if it comes in at under £400 in the UK....or pick one up in the USA if they're cheaper. But the thousands of people who were briefly curious in January will have now lost interest.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Andreas Wideroe wrote:They had problems with image stability..
Well, I guess that means they're paying attention to quality. Except they're probably seeing the flaws in their own cartridge design at this point. Maybe they should go to a metal back plate on the cartridge. Can't imagine it would ad more than a few cents to the costs...unless they're sitting on hundreds of thousands of cartridges waiting to be filled.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Angus wrote:I agree, the "top secret" tactic is very dated. Today people expect exposure, a facebook page, a twitter feed. Even if there are problems in the testing of the camera...people want to see pictures of the process, see some interest generated. Kodak really scored a coup at CES and had one of the top 2 or 3 products there...the hype generated was more than money could buy....but with no news, the mainstream publications have lost interest.
Well Said, they really dropped the ball after a big introduction. Since then they have attempted to excite no one. I'm going to call Kodak today and see if they offer any info. I encourage as many people to do the same and maybe they'll throw us a freakin bone?
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Here's a teaser image that was leaked or displayed by a design company, It says Vision3 50 Reversal film. If it is true, we wouldn't know about it.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

WOW, where did you find that image? I'm really curious to see what a Vision 3 filmstock would look like as reversal. It could be really beautiful, with nice tight-grain. Also wondering if it will be daylight, or tungsten, balanced (given the missing D from the packaging)?
I'm guessing it will be E-6 processing, but maybe they came up with an alternative processing chemistry?
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

It was posted on Facebook today under a Kodak MP post. The pic stems from a company that designs logos for packaging. Maybe it's an accidental breach on their behalf, un-briefed on Kodak's secrecy around new products. I wouldn't be all surprised if it's legit, every Kodak thread on film for the last 4 years has consisted of people demanding a new reversal film. But this is a VISION stock!!! Not a chrome, but entirely designed for motion picture. Most likely a daylight film, will probably be finer grain than even Velvia 50D.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

The extra height of the box looks perfect to add a USB stick or memory card for the audio...I've been wondering how they were going to handle the audio syncing during transfer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Will2 wrote:The extra height of the box looks perfect to add a USB stick or memory card for the audio...I've been wondering how they were going to handle the audio syncing during transfer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or maybe it's a prepaid processing envelope? I can't remember if the prepaid Kodachrome boxes were any bigger? I think we're on our own with the audio, The camera accepts a SD card to record on, or has outs for other options. But with crystal sync, and probably a "shot record only" option, it should be a snap (no pun intended) to sync audio to an entire cart in your timeline.
grainy

Post by grainy »

Will2 wrote:.I've been wondering how they were going to handle the audio syncing during transfer...
I wonder if they'll do a two-pop! Generate a dot on the film and a beep when the audio starts. That'd be cool.
I'm still wondering how they're going to account for the camera noise vs. audio. Maybe I'm just stuck in the old days.
G
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Kodak posted a reply to the pic on their thread saying "just a demo package, sorry for the confusion". Which keeps the odds in my head at 50/50
Will2

Post by Will2 »

grainy wrote:I'm still wondering how they're going to account for the camera noise vs. audio. Maybe I'm just stuck in the old days.
Pretty easy to take a clip of the camera noise and use that to remove the noise from the background with any audio program these days. It definitely effects the quality but it's not bad for a home movie and will still be leaps and bounds above the old Super 8 Sound quality. A remote minor lav would make that much less of a problem also.