Vision 3 50D 8mm film - Bolex Plant in Switzerland

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

silverhalide

Vision 3 50D 8mm film - Bolex Plant in Switzerland

Post by silverhalide »

https://vimeo.com/181948596

This scan has had some post work. It was scanned on a Scanity. I'm not sure where all the dust came from. Film from Wittner is very, very clean.

Film stock is available at http://www.toeppenfilm.com
mr8mm

Re: Vision 3 50D 8mm film - Bolex Plant in Switzerland

Post by mr8mm »

Very nice result. No doubt 50D is a great film R8. The dust may be from loading the camera or end of spool handling when loading into transfer device. It looks like the dust is mostly at the end of the shot. Do you plan to supply print film so that customers who wish to project their film can have a positive print?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

mr8mm wrote:Very nice result. No doubt 50D is a great film R8. The dust may be from loading the camera or end of spool handling when loading into transfer device. It looks like the dust is mostly at the end of the shot. Do you plan to supply print film so that customers who wish to project their film can have a positive print?
I'm having 6000' of 3313 print film perforated as R8. Printing will require two passes, one for each side, because the aperture plate on Fotokem's printer winds up masking part of the right side of the film.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

I like what I'm looking at Dennis! You've got at least 3 regular 8 cameras don't you? Does this one give the best registration?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Wow, that's insanely good for Regular 8mm. If I can work out who in the U.S. would process that, I'd love to get some.

Who's Scanity did you use?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Will2 wrote:Wow, that's insanely good for Regular 8mm. If I can work out who in the U.S. would process that, I'd love to get some.

Who's Scanity did you use?
I believe Alexandre (the photographer) had it scanned at Ominimago in Germany.

The film can be processed by Spectra Film & Video. Fotokem will also do it with a $200 minimum.

Film can be purchased at toeppenfilm.com. For some reason, 8mm Tri-X is selling better than the others.
Last edited by silverhalide on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

slashmaster wrote:I like what I'm looking at Dennis! You've got at least 3 regular 8 cameras don't you? Does this one give the best registration?
This camera is owned by the photographer, Alexandre Favre. It looks pretty good to me.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

silverhalide wrote:
slashmaster wrote:I like what I'm looking at Dennis! You've got at least 3 regular 8 cameras don't you? Does this one give the best registration?
This camera is owned by the photographer, Alexandre Favre. It looks pretty good to me.
Oh ok, you didn't visit the Bolex plant. That is your film with the Wig wags on your channel though?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

slashmaster wrote:
silverhalide wrote:
Oh ok, you didn't visit the Bolex plant. That is your film with the Wig wags on your channel though?
Yep, I stalked that wig-wag for several days. :-)
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I think TRI-X is selling well because it can be projected directly. That is what people want. Too bad the V3 can't be reversed somehow!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mr8mm wrote:Too bad the V3 can't be reversed somehow!
I'm so bad about getting out the projector these days that I don't really miss regular 8 reversal. That V3 scanned well is a quantum leap in quality for regular 8mm. But all the costs go up so much it's about the same as shooting 16mm.

I know a guy that could print the regular 8 negative to 16mm print stock probably. Anyone interested in that? I get out my 16mm projector much more often than the 8mm.