Light tightness of S8 Cartridges

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kuparikettu

Light tightness of S8 Cartridges

Post by kuparikettu »

Just a quick question: today I noticed that one Super-8 cartridge I had shot creaks when I push the sticker in the back, about in the middle vertically. The plastic bends a little when pushed on that spot. Now I wonder: how light tight are these cartridges? Anyone else noticed their cartridge not being 100% solid? Am I in for a nasty surprise of light leaks?
Will2

Re: Light tightness of S8 Cartridges

Post by Will2 »

Man walks into a Doctors office and says, "It hurts when I do this..." Doctor says, "Don't do that."

Super 8 cartridges are decently light tight. There's a little lip that runs around the edge that would probably protect from what you are describing plus they are generally well glued. Remember that Kodak was a huge consumer company and they wouldn't want to deal with customer complaints about light leaks (even though now people probably would like it!)

The plastic is flexible but shouldn't be an issue. Just don't TRY to make a light leak unless you want to since that can look great too.

kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Will2 wrote:Man walks into a Doctors office and says, "It hurts when I do this..." Doctor says, "Don't do that."
Haha, well put! I won't worry about it then :)
mudfly9

Post by mudfly9 »

Having tried a bit of home processing Vision3 which involved repeatedly hitting a Kodak cartridge with a hammer in the dark, I can say with some authority that they are seriously tough little things!
http://www.matthewmodgetfilms.com