New-Age Super 8 film/music video

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

inlieubeaulieu

New-Age Super 8 film/music video

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Just thought I'd post this ( http://youtu.be/BFViFI_BtuU ) a short Super 8 film I made for one of my band's (Tönen) songs. I shot it with a Beaulieu 6008s (one that I borrowed from work at the NW Film Center) on Vision 3 50D filmstock. I underexposed the film a bit, but I kind of like the dark/grey look. This is un-modified footage from Cinelab, so I may go in and do some simple adjustments. any recommendations on what to try?
milesandjules

Re: New-Age Super 8 film/music video

Post by milesandjules »

I liked it. 8)
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

That was really nice- I would take a little blue out of the mid-tones. Maybe play with the gamma, contrast and levels just to see but it looks good now. BTW, I'm in Portland too. I love the NW Film Center and used to volunteer about 6-7 yrs ago. I have a little basement studio with a Retro8 film scanner and would be happy to transfer some films on your next project. My local artist rate is free if it's just a few rolls-
Reborn member since Sept 2003
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

I was definitely thinking of some slight blue reduction, but mostly for the grass section, as the blue suits the water material quite well.
Just curious Tscan, how do you deal with film at 18fps? I have another film ( http://youtu.be/bW_SFWOrIYU ), as well as a few rolls of other material, at 18fps, but it has been stuck in Standard Def (from DV Tape!)
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I like your dark ambient soundscapes!
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:I was definitely thinking of some slight blue reduction, but mostly for the grass section, as the blue suits the water material quite well.
Just curious Tscan, how do you deal with film at 18fps? I have another film ( http://youtu.be/bW_SFWOrIYU ), as well as a few rolls of other material, at 18fps, but it has been stuck in Standard Def (from DV Tape!)
Yes, it can do a Quiktime file or even an uncompressed image sequence that will work with most NLE. With an image sequence you can edit in true frame by frame, then apply the frame rate and what ever codec you want.

There are a bunch of samples on my vimeo page
https://vimeo.com/user1148115/videos
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:Just thought I'd post this ( http://youtu.be/BFViFI_BtuU ) a short Super 8 film I made for one of my band's (Tönen) songs. I shot it with a Beaulieu 6008s (one that I borrowed from work at the NW Film Center) on Vision 3 50D filmstock. I underexposed the film a bit, but I kind of like the dark/grey look. This is un-modified footage from Cinelab, so I may go in and do some simple adjustments. any recommendations on what to try?
Must be nice to be able to borrow a cam like that from work! So you're from Oregon and you had it processed and transferred at the Cinelab in New Bedford Mass? Did they send it to you on a portable hard drive?
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

yeah, I sent the film over to Cinelab with a LaCie Rugged drive. Alphacine used to be my lab of choice, but since then the NW Film Center decided to go with Cinelab due to their good student rates.

I like the 6008s, but it being made of plastic made it too light, and really sensitive to vibrations. My personal camera is a 5008s Multispeed, but I have yet to shoot much with it.

Tscan, I may be in touch about getting a few reels of Ektachrome transferred. Also, if you're able to do color-negative transferring, I could direct inquiries we get from the public your way if you would like.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:yeah, I sent the film over to Cinelab with a LaCie Rugged drive. Alphacine used to be my lab of choice, but since then the NW Film Center decided to go with Cinelab due to their good student rates.

I like the 6008s, but it being made of plastic made it too light, and really sensitive to vibrations. My personal camera is a 5008s Multispeed, but I have yet to shoot much with it.

Tscan, I may be in touch about getting a few reels of Ektachrome transferred. Also, if you're able to do color-negative transferring, I could direct inquiries we get from the public your way if you would like.
Oh, you sent them your own hard drive. Yeah Cinelab is great! I'm glad I live close enough I can drive to it! So you think the 6008 is sensitive to its own vibrations and gives itself a little microscopic blur? Is this at slow motion speeds?
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

It's more that it didn't weigh down the tripod enough, so any movement (footsteps) on the dock (most of the water footage was shot from a dock) just transferred up the sticks, also just triggering the camera added some bumps as well. I cut out most of the jostling/jumps, but they're still visible in certain shots. I really should have used a better tripod and some sandbags, though. I think the camera needs some servicing as well (for a few broken and missing parts, as well). I also prefer the power-zoom from the 4008/5008 cameras over the 6008-9008 series, as it has a much slower minimum zoom speed. I've never tried slow-motion on Super 8, but slow-mo in 16mm seems like it'd be a little more stable.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:Tscan, I may be in touch about getting a few reels of Ektachrome transferred. Also, if you're able to do color-negative transferring, I could direct inquiries we get from the public your way if you would like.
Yes i do color negative, so i'm here to help anyone hurdle the high telecine costs of S8 negative. It's the next best thing to a high end telicine.

silentfilmworks@gmail.com
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

here's a new edit: http://youtu.be/UhiCj4dvXTA
I mostly just extended or trimmed a few shots, and did just a touch of color-correction on one specific shot
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

just thought I would put up a link to a new HD transfer of my previous film Hornhautverkrümmung: http://youtu.be/bzqH3nc9xX4