What reversal Super8 films do you use?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

wado1942

Re: What reversal Super8 films do you use?

Post by wado1942 »

I can't think of a reversal film I'd use now. I've never found a color reversal film I liked for shooting indoors, though I did like Plus-X when it existed.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
BAC

Post by BAC »

I stocked up on E100D when they stopped production so that is what I'm currently using. My super 8 stock is getting low, only 3 more carts. I still have at least 300' of regular 8mm so I'm hoping it holds out until Ferrania gets something going. I shoot close to 200' of regular 8mm/year. I'm not that excited about the Wittnerchrome 200D because of both price and speed. Most of my shooting is outdoors so I don't need a film that fast. I also like to use cement to splice and I understand the Wittnerchrome is on polyester stock.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Haven't shot any for over a year but I was shooting 100D then. I have a couple of carts left over, and am considering trying the Adox B&W reversal.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
doug

Post by doug »

I'll carry on using the super-8 Ektachrome 100D until the fridge says No. Then Wittner 200D I suppose, colours good but I'm not very happy with it grainwise. Let's hope Ferrania can fill the speed gap, but PLEASE keep the prices down. Otherwise folks will ask why use S.8 ? :x
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
JCook

Post by JCook »

The absence of affordable color reversal stock is what has fueled my "missing in action" status from this forum the last couple of years.

I pop in here every once in a while in hopes of reading about a new affordable product release but alas nadda. :cry:

If I'm reading correctly, Kodak no longer sells a color reversal stock. I'm down to 2ea 64T.

Is that place in Kansas, I can't remember the name, still in business processing film?
A: Dwaynesphoto, found it, glad to see they're still hanging in there making a living.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Kodachrome and Ektachome 100D (maybe 64D too) where the best color reversals for me. That Ektachrome 160T was hideous. Everything I ever shot with that looked milky.

I have a couple 16mm Ektachrome 100' reels laying around...maybe this summer will be the right time before it can't be processed anymore.
aj

Post by aj »

JCook wrote:The absence of affordable color reversal stock is what has fueled my "missing in action" status from this forum the last couple of years.

I pop in here every once in a while in hopes of reading about a new affordable product release but alas nadda. :cry:

If I'm reading correctly, Kodak no longer sells a color reversal stock. I'm down to 2ea 64T.

Is that place in Kansas, I can't remember the name, still in business processing film?
A: Dwaynesphoto, found it, glad to see they're still hanging in there making a living.
In the US you can get affordable color reversal 200D (and Tri-X) from John Schwind www.http://internationalfilmbroker.com/
and affordable processing at Dwayne's http://dwaynesphoto.com/
Kind regards,

André
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I just shot a cart of A200D and UN54 I got from John Schwind. Used my Elmo Super110. A200D First half is probably seriously underexposed @ Natural bridge caverns as I wanted to see what would happen. Should've used an Xl camera. 2nd half shot in bright daylight in New Braunfels. I may try to have it hand processed with the first half pushed (more grain!) and second half pulled (less gain). UN54 I shot of Gruene, TX and the Guadalupe river. Also shot the Alamo and Cathedral de San Fernando with some K40 that came in my Elmo. It was a full unused cart. Since wasn't stored cold I'll have to process as neg. I plan to keep shooting reversal as long as I can get it without breaking the bank. I also have a number of KAII, K40 and Focal Chrome laying around, all found carts, I will finish off and Neg process. Should be interesting. 10 rolls Velvia 50 35mm in the freezer.
Go shoot more film!
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.