What reversal Super8 films do you use?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

What reversal Super8 films do you use?

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Just out of curiosity, what reversal Super8 films do you shoot these days?

Stick with Tri-X or do you shoot any of the custom loaded films from Wittner, Pro8mm and others?

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
kontrabass888

Re: What reversal Super8 films do you use?

Post by kontrabass888 »

I am shooting with my last 3 Ektachrome 64T. after that , maybe I will try kahl UT21 Ut18, if ferrenia release their new film as scheduled, I would also try it.
I wouldn't shoot on wittner 200D, it is not suitable for small gauges.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Andreas Wideroe wrote:Just out of curiosity, what reversal Super8 films do you shoot these days?

Stick with Tri-X or do you shoot any of the custom loaded films from Wittner, Pro8mm and others?

/Andreas
Stocked up on 100D , have around 25 rolls , and for B/W use Tri X !
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

I've got about ten S8 cartridges and two or three 100-foot rolls of Ektachrome 100D DS8 remaining. I'm giving the Wittnerchrome 200D a try.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I always add in a few rolls of TriX with my film orders from Kodak. It's cheap and looks really good. I actually haven't even projected the triX that i've used lately. I just scan it along with the neg films. It comes out really nice on the transfers, very rich and sharp. It has a nice grain pattern but because it's so sharp, Neat Video works greatl with it too. For the money, TriX is plenty good enough for me to not go looking for a spendier custom B&W load. I miss having the 100D and not too thrilled with the look of the Agfa samples that i've seen. I'd go for some Velvia 50 or 100 if I were to splurge on custom carts.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I missed out on E100D, unless anyone has some they want to sell me at a reasonable price? :D

I have a 4-5 carts of E64T on ice along with 6 Carts of ELA594 Sound. And one cart of Svema I think I'll shoot something funky and process in Caffenol. I'll probably pick up a case of E200D from John S. and shoot them all when I head off to Ecuador. It looks better than E64T as far as I can tell. I want to shoot something a bit more serious verses home movies. I like to project my silly home movies. I'm hopeful Ferrina will be affordable on my side of the pond. I'd love to try all the Kahl, and Wittner stuff, but USD to Euro is murderous. I'm interested in shooting a mock French art film on Adox or Foma pan.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Nowadays Tri-X and Adox for reversal in Super8. Also, I have some Orwo big spools to refill my Kaccemas.

In R8 I still have some E100D.

I'd like to try all that Wittnerstuff but definitely not at those prices plus luxury shipping costs...
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

1. I'm in the middle of my last Tri-X 200 asa cartridge now. Hope it's still possible to order more?

2. Have ordered 2 of the Adox 100 asa black and white cartridges which I've never tried. Now in my fridge.

3. Tried a high contrast 10 asa cartridge from pro-8mm. Loved the stuff but they don't seem to sell it now.

4. I'm thinking about trying that ektachrome 200 asa that pro-8mm has.

Sometimes I'll get negative films and not even transfer to digital like they were meant, but project them raw. But only so much of that you can do before it's not fun anymore.
Static 8

Post by Static 8 »

I've got only 3 carts or E100D left my fridge. Some old sound films and agfas and one wittner custom loaded fomapan 100.
Adox and tri-x are great for b/w but I'd like to keep shooting with color reversal (with acetate base) too.
Just have to wait and see if Ferrania can do what they say...
rlorenz2

Post by rlorenz2 »

I have (8) Ektachrome 100D carts left and (1) Tri-X.

Need to reorder some Tri-x soon as weather is starting to warm up here for setting up the screen and projector outside :)
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I'm hoping during my sabbatical year I get a chance to hit the European continent this fall and possibly go visit Kahl and Wittner in person. If I have the $cratch I'm bringing back a suitcase full of good filmstocks!
Cheers,
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

For general purpose home movie photography I shoot B&W reversal as it is way cheaper than colour reversal.

I shoot mostly Tri-X, but I have been shooting some Adox too.

I shot my last three (very expensive) Kodak 100D films a couple of weeks ago.

I've not shot any Agfa 200D yet as I'm put off by the prices of all the colour reversal stocks available at the moment.
I can quite understand all the resellers selling as process paid only, as this protects and secures their future business.
But I think it is a little of a double edged sword, as I am sure they don't sell as many when you have to pay for processing up front.
I have always preferred to stock up and shoot when I need to and then send for processing as and when is necessary.

19€ for 1 roll of B&W reversal without processing or 45€ for one roll of Colour reversal with processing.
If you have 100€ to buy film for a trip, you can get 5 rolls of B&W reversal for your money and pay for the processing later.
OR buy just two process paid colour reversal films.
Obviously it really depends on how much you shoot - but I know which I'd prefer.

I do shoot less now since the price increase.

They happy days of one roll of Kodachrome 40 process paid for 12€ are long gone.

I remember my first roll of 64T - I was hesitant to get it processed for a while as it cost to do so!

;)
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

It's a shame that for many 16mm doesn't seem to be convenient since at the moment 16mm AGFA 200D color reversal is the cheapest choice -- at least when buying bulk. When buying 10 cans of 732 meters the price is only about 500 euros per can, that is 0.68 euros per meter. For 2½ minutes @ 24 fps it is about 20 euros. In that format grain shouldn't be a problem either.

Just bought a Beaulieu R16 to shoot home movies on Aviphot Chrome. :)
Mana

Post by Mana »

I'll play! I have about 600ft of DS8 100D Ektachrome left, one 100D cart, one 100D Double 8mm, and a whole lot of Tri X! I do have a large stash of Agfachrome from the last batch from 1993, frozen, but the processing...
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Anyway, if I had the choice, my choice for super-8 color reversal would be...

Fuji Provia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQ-ED8VEA8

Unfortunately it isn't even available, apparently the footage above was shot on some test material by Pro8mm.