More film clips

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MattiasN

More film clips

Post by MattiasN »

if i post more film clips i use this topic next time so i do not need to do new topic everytime i post a film clip :)

so here is one more clip https://vimeo.com/85767429
Tscan

Re: More film clips

Post by Tscan »

I have never seen reg8mm look that good! Is this one of those multi pass scans? It was really fun to watch a slice of life from 40yrs ago at that quality
Reborn member since Sept 2003
chrisgavin

Post by chrisgavin »

Great footage, amazing transfer, well done indeed.
Films made for you... www.chrisgavin.com
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

yes i do allways multi pass scans to be sure i get everything
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

chrisgavin wrote:Great footage, amazing transfer, well done indeed.
Wow 8mm look 's like a time that now gone for ever? when there was still a Dream !
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Looks genus great transfer to :D :D .....Any idea what camera it was?
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

i do not know what camera was used because i did buy this film from ebay
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Here is a old less good quality Regular 8mm clip it´s from 1939

https://vimeo.com/86430617
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Nice job on the transfer…colours look amazing. :D :D
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

MattiasN wrote:Thanks :)

Is the multi pass product as simple as footage scanned multiple times at different exposures, then matched frame to frame on the same timeline?
Reborn member since Sept 2003
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

milesandjules wrote:Nice job on the transfer…colours look amazing. :D :D
Tscan wrote:
MattiasN wrote:Thanks :)

Is the multi pass product as simple as footage scanned multiple times at different exposures, then matched frame to frame on the same timeline?
yes it works´s very easy i merge the low and high exposures ex all even frames are low exposure and all odd frames are high exposures then i use stabilize and then they align correct then i separate the "even and odd frames" = separate low and high exposure frames

here is the avisynth script that does it

Code: Select all

a=ImageSource("I:\tw2\N\tiff\image%d.tiff",start=1,end=28988,fps=5).ConvertToYV12() #Low exposure clip
b=ImageSource("I:\tw2\E\tiff\image%d.tiff",start=1,end=28988,fps=5).ConvertToYV12() #High exposure clip

c = Interleave(a, b)     # here it merge the low and high exposure to even and odd frames

a_cont=9.214285  #adjust this for Low exposure
b_cont=0.08         #adjust this for High exposure

a_ref = a.NonlinUSM(1.2,2.6,6.0,8.5).HighlightLimiter(1,true,1,true,100).tweak(cont=a_cont).GaussianBlur(VarY=1).MT_binarize(threshold=80).greyscale().invert() #adjust this for Low exposure if needed MT_binarize(threshold=25) and this NonlinUSM(50.2,2.6,6.0,8.5)
b_ref = b.NonlinUSM(50.2,2.6,6.0,8.5).HighlightLimiter(1,true,1,true,100).tweak(cont=b_cont).GaussianBlur(VarY=1).MT_binarize(threshold=25).greyscale().invert() #adjust this for High exposure if needed MT_binarize(threshold=25) and this NonlinUSM(50.2,2.6,6.0,8.5)

#return StackHorizontal(a_ref ,b_ref )   #Enable this only to see that Low and high exposure looks about the same and to do the adjusting to the settings when all looks ok put back this symbol # before return

c_ref = Interleave(a_ref, b_ref)

# calculate stabilization data
mdata = DePanEstimate(c_ref,trust=0.01,dxmax=32,dymax=100)

# stabilize
c_stab = DePanInterleave(c, data=mdata)

#Now the low and high exposure are align and now it separate low and high exposure frames

b2_stab = c_stab.SelectEvery(6, 2)  #Here is the high exposure clip
a2_stab = c_stab.SelectEvery(6, 1)  #Here is the Low exposure clip 

#i now input a2_stab and b2_stab to my HDR script and it does the hdr thing and output a merge single clip :)

you need this functions to

function HighlightLimiter(clip v, float "gblur", bool "gradient", int "threshold", bool "twopass", int "amount", bool "softlimit", int "method")
{
#SetMTMode(5) enable this if you use MT
gradient = default (gradient,true) #True uses the gaussian blur to such an extent so as to create an effect similar to a gradient mask being applied to every area that exceeds our threshold.
gblur = (gradient==true) ? default (gblur,100) : default (gblur,5.0) #The strength of the gaussian blur to apply. 
threshold = default (threshold,150) #The lower the value, the more sensitive the filter will be.
twopass = default (twopass,false) #Two passes means the area in question gets darkened twice. 
amount = default (amount,10) #The amount of brightness to be reduced, only applied to method=2
softlimit = default (softlimit,false) #If softlimit is true, then the values around the edges where the pixel value differences occur, will be averaged.
method = default (method, 1) #Method 1 is multiply, the classic HDR-way. Any other method set triggers a brightness/gamma approach.

amount = (amount>0) ? -amount : amount

darken=v.Tweak(sat=0).mt_lut("x "+string(threshold)+" < 0 x ?")
blurred= (gradient==true) ? darken.gaussianblur(gblur).gaussianblur(gblur+100).gaussianblur(gblur+200) : darken.gaussianblur(gblur)
fuzziness_mask=blurred.mt_edge(mode="prewitt", Y=3, U=2, V=2).mt_expand(mode="both", Y=3, U=2, V=2)
multiply = (method==1) ? mt_lut(v,"x x * 255 /") : v.Tweak(bright=amount)
multiply = (method==1) ? eval("""(twopass==true) ? mt_lutxy(multiply,v,"x y * 255 /") : multiply""") : eval("""(twopass==true) ? multiply.SmoothLevels(gamma=0.9,smode=2) : multiply""")

merged=mt_merge(v,multiply,blurred)
#SetMTMode(2) enable this if you use MT
fuzzy= (softlimit==true) ? mt_merge(merged,mt_lutxy(v,merged,"x y + 2 /"),fuzziness_mask) : merged
return fuzzy
}

and this to

function NonlinUSM(clip o, float "z", float "pow", float "str", float "rad", float "ldmp")
{
z   = default(z,   6.0)  # zero point
pow = default(pow, 1.6)  # power
str = default(str, 1.0)  # strength
rad = default(rad, 9.0)  # radius for "gauss"
ldmp= default(ldmp, 0.001) # damping for verysmall differences

g = o.bicubicresize(round(o.width()/rad/4)*4,round(o.height()/rad/4)*4).bicubicresize(o.width(),o.height(),1,0)

mt_lutxy(o,g,"x x y - abs "+string(z)+" / 1 "+string(pow)+" / ^ "+string(z)+" * "+string(str)+
 \                        " * x y - 2 ^ x y - 2 ^ "+string(ldmp)+" + / * x y - x y - abs 0.001 + / * +",U=2,V=2)

return(last)
}
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

This is very useful! Thanks for sharing the scripts
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

no problems :)
hope you get it to work :)
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Hi here is one more clip Regular 8mm

https://vimeo.com/99496599
SurlaCraque

Post by SurlaCraque »

Thanks for posting, I've been wondering about the quality of regular 8mm vs super 8, and I went ahead and got an old regular 8mm camera. This footage is reassuring, it looks very crisp. Obviously you did a good job with the telecine, but the footage also looks very good.