Telecine DIY in Action

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MattiasN

Telecine DIY in Action

Post by MattiasN »

here is my telecine in action :)

https://vimeo.com/82866312
granfer

Re: Telecine DIY in Action

Post by granfer »

"In original condition".... presumably therefore the original motor? How did you get the speed down to 5 fps?
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

for lower fps speed i use only the external motor

i like 5fps it´s maybe less stress on the projector and the film and it´s more silent:)
and when i capture high exposure i need slower fps to
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Matthias,

Thanks for posting that. I am trying to remember if it was your multiple posts on DIY telecine or someone else's that I thought should be collected up into one introductory manual on DIY telecine.

Remind me what sort of camera do you use? I also have a question on capturing and processing frames: I am interested in using a mono camera and capturing separate RGB and perhaps HDR frames (yes very slow and requiring separate R,G,B LED sources)and combining them but I wanted to ask if you had any knowledge of how difficult it is to write script or use packages to take individual frames and combine them into a single frame. I am considering this because I would like to get over Bayer filter limitations. Another question is what is the practical way to line up the camera on the projected image. Do you just frame up on the empty projector gate i.e. by focusing the lens and arranging the extention tubes?
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thank you Mattias. I suppose I should have guessed as I've also made provision for adding an external motor to my 810D. Mine can also be manually controlled at 16.67 fps for "on the fly"transfers using a simple electronic controller on the original motor.
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Hi
the camera is a DFK 23G274 link here http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p ... dfk23g274/

sorry i know only how to align and merge low and high camera exposure i do that with avisynth script

heh i remember when i did first get the machine vision camera DFK 23G274 i did try to capture a very dark super 8 homemade christmas film and i was disappointed with the dynamic range it was that what start the HDR for me :)
so now the same very dark super 8 homemade christmas film i can see the candles and the details in the shadows

i zoom in so much that one frame of the film is about 1080 then i do not need to resize only crop it
focusing i do on the film grain
only thing i do on empty projector gate i calibrate white balance and i do that only if i have new led lamp or new lens
JhnZ33

Post by JhnZ33 »

Hi Mattias,

I'm sure it was likely posted here somewhere in the past, but could you post the circuit and parts for the hall effect transistor trigger circuit you use? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
John
History frozen in the frame of 8mm