super 8 HDR Video

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MattiasN

Re: super 8 HDR Video

Post by MattiasN »

hmm here is one more version http://vimeo.com/73486275 but on that i did use a different hdr script that i did create last weekend it have less noise i gess that mean less details and the colors are off to but maby some shots are better
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

It looks very good but my problem is looking at it on this lap top screen. I can see I am going to have to try and source something approaching a grade 1 to view stuff on that doesn't break the bank.
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Ok :)

i post this other function i did use and it needs this plug in http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/Hdragc-1.8.7.zip you copy the AGC.dll to avisynth plugin folder

a_stab you put the normal or low exposure
b_stab you put the high exposure

Code: Select all

function hdrtwo(clip a_stab,clip b_stab)
{
t=a_stab.TurnLeft().HDRAGC(max_gain = 3.0,min_gain=0.5,coef_gain=2.0,coef_sat=2.00,MODE=1,shadows=true,protect=1,corrector=0.7).TurnRight()

ab=overlay( b_stab,t,x=0,y=0,mask=b_stab,opacity=0.4,greymask=true,mode="Multiply",pc_range=true).Levels(16,1.000,235,0,255,true)
abc=overlay( b_stab,t,x=0,y=0,mask=b_stab,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="Difference",pc_range=true)
aaa=overlay(ab,abc,x=0,y=0,mask=invert(ab),opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="Blend",pc_range=true).Levels(0,1.000,235,0,255,true)

ab1=overlay(t,aaa,x=0,y=0,mask=t,opacity=0.15,greymask=true,mode="SoftLight",pc_range=true)

l=overlay(aaa,ab1,x=0,y=0,mask=aaa,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="Blend",pc_range=true)
ll=overlay(ab1,aaa,x=0,y=0,mask=ab1,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="Darken",pc_range=true)
lll=overlay(l,ll,x=0,y=0,mask=l,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="Blend",pc_range=true)

return lll
}

here is the old hdr function i gess it´s still maby the best of this two

Code: Select all

function hdrone(clip a_stab,clip b_stab)
{
t=a_stab.TurnLeft().HDRAGC(max_gain = 3.0,min_gain=0.5,coef_gain=2.0,coef_sat=2.00,MODE=1,shadows=true,protect=1,corrector=0.7).TurnRight()
ab=overlay( b_stab,t,x=0,y=0,mask=b_stab,opacity=0.5,greymask=true,mode="Multiply",pc_range=true).Levels(0,1.000,235,0,255,true)

ab1=overlay(t,b_stab,x=0,y=0,mask=t,opacity=0.5,greymask=true,mode="hardlight",pc_range=true)
l=overlay(ab,ab1,x=0,y=0,mask=ab,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="blend",pc_range=true)
last=overlay(l,t,x=0,y=0,mask=ab,opacity=1.0,greymask=true,mode="blend",pc_range=true).TurnLeft().HDRAGC(max_gain = 1.5,min_gain=0.1,coef_gain=2.0,coef_sat=0.90,MODE=1,shadows=true,protect=1,corrector=0.45).TurnRight()
return last
}
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

The image quality of the transfer is excellent.

But there is something strange going on in either the video playback or video encoding. It's not spatial registration as such (all the sprockets are all in the same location) but something else. It's really "jittery" if that's the right word for it. Could be just vimeo unable to play the video properly. It could be (probably is) skipping frames to compensate for slow playback.

To isolate where the fault might be you could try re-rendering your hi-def master as SD and uploading that to vimeo to see if that jitters in quite the same way. If not it's probably just vimeo playback of the original not being quite right. Otherwise it might be in the actual encoding.

C
Last edited by carllooper on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Looking at it again in vimeo, I'm pretty sure it's just that the video is too big (in terms of data) for proper playback.

What's happening is that the player is attempting to keep the frame rate at the frame rate it should be, but can't quite do it (ie. playback too slow), so every few frames, to correct this, the player skips ahead (a frame or two) to get back (forward?) to where it should otherwise be in terms of elapsed time. The result is a kind of consistent temporal jitter throughout.

The only way to really correct for this is to play around with different codecs, compression settings, and output sizes (eg. 720 rather than 1080). Note that doing all of your capture and image processing at 1080, with final release rendering at 720, will still look a whole lot better than if you had done capture/image processing at 720 and released at 720.

Carl
Carl Looper
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

have you test to download the orginal it plays better i think you can download the orginal
the orginal is 18fps i do not know if vimeo convert it to 25 fps

soon i upload a new test film it´s disneyland from 1961 it´s regular 8mm film i did buy that one from ebay to :)
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

me again here is a new regular 8mm clip https://vimeo.com/73802115 it´s Disneyland 1961 & Knott's Berry Farm Regular 8mm Film i did buy it from ebay :)

the clip gets very dark i did now combine the two hdr funtions to get little more out of it i have to tweek it little more maby later i replace the clip with better one
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Those HDR transfers are excellent. Attention to dynamic range really does make such a difference, and especially in Super8.

You can probably start trying your hand at some shot by shot grading now that you have a good workflow on the HDR. I have no doubt you could put together some awesome work.

Carl
Carl Looper
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

without two exposure with the camera i use i do not get any good results

the camera i have has only Pixel size 4.4 µm maby next time if i buy a new camera i have to look at pixel size first hehe then i gess i do not need anymore to do two exposure hdr
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Hi got a new film clip again it´s Regular 8mm Disneyland 1960 & San francisco City & Alcatraz it´s little shaky in some shots
i did only stabilize the upper sprocket hole as reference because the two spocket hole do not jump in sync :P

anyway here is the clip https://vimeo.com/76479513
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

one more clip but it´s less good i wanted to test how older films convert to digital
i did not convert the color to grayscale so it have old look

here is the link https://vimeo.com/76934533
florixyz

Post by florixyz »

Hi Mattias,

although this thread seems quite old, I assume you are still active here... I've built some similar recording equipment with a Eumig 807, and components (LED and lens from www.telecine.de) as well as a DFK42BUC03 (http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p ... fk42buc03/) imaging camera (CMOS!) which gives acceptable quality when capturing at 18fps.
I've read your HDR and denoising posts with great interest, looks like really good work.

I have a few questions/ideas:
- Do you do any color correction on the Y800 images? I mean, if you debayer, you basically have raw sensor RGB data, which needs to be converted to a monitor RGB space such as Adobe RGB or sRGB. This typically involves a sensor and light source calibrated transform and a gamma compression curve.
- Have you compared CMOS to CCD camera's yet?

- I've also tried sprocket alignment, but I thought that it actually makes the videos more shaky, as sometimes the sprocket holes as can be seen in the video are not very exact. I've got better results with global image stabilisation (Deshaker plugin in Virtualdub) with using only horizontal and vertical stabilisation (no zoom and rotation).
- For HDR I found that there is not too much difference between the HDR image, and the low exposure image with a proper gamma curve applied. The main difference is that in the single image shot there is more noise in the dark areas than for the HDR shot. I'll try to post some images on that soon (also for the color correction).