Super 8 Convention?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

Post by Angus »

I used to work at a super 8 motel and it was the most horrible experience of my life ever without exception.
mattias

Post by mattias »

which one? perhaps we've met or perhaps you and my filth and garbage have met? :-)

/matt
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

Andreas had a great idea...SUPER 8 MOTELS. There are three of them here in Austin, two near the downtown area and the Alamo Drafthouse (2-3 miles). Over the years I've stayed in all of them, and they're just fine---unless one thinks of oneself as a big star. If they knew when and how many to plan on staying they might give us a good group rate. On the when....If we plan on doing it in the fall/late fall, we just need to plan it for a weekend when the University of Texas Longhorns are NOT playing a football game in town. Motel space gets sparse. So, the weekends NOT to have the convention are; 8/30, 9/13, 9/27, 10/4, 11/1, 11/15, and 12/6...In terms of having our convention coincidentally with a film festival, the CinemaTexas International Short Film Festival http://www.cinematexas.org/2003-festival.html (and 2nd International Super 8 Film Festival sponsored by Austin Cinema Co-op---IF it happens) will be September 16-21 (I like this time slot/combination option). The Austin Film Festival http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/ is October 9-16....Too bad....And, of course, the biggie---the South by Southwest film/music festival is in March, a huge, wild event.....So there you have it, take your choice.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Their website confuses me.
It looks like they are accepting submissions but not providing any entry form information.

http://www.cinematexas.org/
Last edited by Alex on Sat May 24, 2003 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

The application is here in pdf format. http://www.cinematexas.org/2003intlentryform.pdf
mattias

Post by mattias »

i was going to send my film to cinematexas, but they charge a fee which i've decided makes it the kind of festival i don't want to be part of (or maybe i just can't afford it, but that doesn't sound as good). ;-)

i was wondering about the super-8 festival you mention though. how do i submit to that and is it free? i'd love to show my film there.

/matt
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

Last year I helped out with the Cinemaker International Super 8 Film Festival, but at a 'grunt' level, helping set up the big screen on the shore of Lake Austin, taking tickets at screenings, and don't remember any details concerning entry fees, etc. Cinemaker is partially funded by the City of Austin, so I'm guessing that if there was any entry fee at all, it was small. The person to ask would be Erica Shamaly, the new (several months) person running Cinemaker. Go to; http://www.cinemaker.org

If the situation for a 2nd go round of the festival is 'iffy', maybe our interest in doing a tradeshow/swap meet might make a difference.
hmm

Post by hmm »

Alex wrote:Perhaps new topic threads could be started that simply state the proposed geographic location and what resources would be available. (example: Toronto Super-8 Convention, Austin Super-8 Convention, etc).
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread,
especially since the summer's half over already.

Here's a film festival in Toronto that's been going
for 55 years.

http://home.interlog.com/~tfs/

stephen h.
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

MATTIAS---I just now saw your post above. Send your film to our Flicker Festival here in Austin. There's no entry fee and we'd love to screen it. Our next screening will be the second week of September. I've been part of the Flicker group here for two years and it's well attended and great fun. Go to http://www.flickeraustin.com to see how to submit....On the web pages of photos I'm the gray bearded guy at the projector in one shot and sitting at our South By Southwest Film Festival booth in another. Looking forward to seeing your film....JIM
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

That's a great site (flickeraustin). Austin seems real supportive of local filmmakers.

Flicker Los Angeles used to give out $100.00 to the filmmaker who made the best film, subjectively-speaking. I won once. Now they don't do that anymore. Nor do they give out Kodak film, which they once did as well.

Too bad this Super-8 fest idea died.
drsanchez

how'd I miss this one?

Post by drsanchez »

I'm an occasional poster and constant lurker, but somehow missed this thread--I don't know how. There were a whole bunch of posts in May, then nothing for two months, now here we are. Is anything coming of this idea? I like Roger's idea to keep it small and informal. But I also like the idea of piggybacking on an already-existing event like Austin's many festivals. This will help with logistics and cost as well as help spread the word about small format film when all the curious onlookers stop by the Super 8 area.

And though I'd love to have an excuse to go to Iceland for a couple weeks, it may be out of the question financially. The only places I could afford to go to would be U.S. or England. Unfortunately a U.S. location might make it hard for our very active Scandinavian Super 8 compadres to attend. What's an international group of filmgeeks to do?
dr.sanchez, son of a midwestern bureaucrat
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

What would make this really great is if a couple of podiums (or is it "podia"?) could be put on stage so all the great debaters on these forums could go at it live and unplugged. :lol:
Cranium

Post by Cranium »

No wonder I was the only one at the First Annual International Super-8 Filmmaking Convention in Las Vegas this past June.
I'd have to say the convention was a success. I presented some of my ideas for the future of small-format filmmaking, and showed some prototypes of devices to make the process more productive and up to date. Almost everyone in attendance thought they were brilliant.
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

Yeah, I heard about it. Sorry to miss it, but, well...they know me in Vegas...But I just gotta ask...Did you really reveal the key to the Cosmos?
mattias

Post by mattias »

hey jim, that sounds great. i've submitted my film to flicker la stating that i'm interested in screening it at the other flickers as well -- does that mean you will get the copy or will i have to send another one? my supply of ntsc tapes is very small unfortunately, as are my funds for shipping. ;-)

/matt