The possible RETURN of KODAK EXR, KODAKCHROME and other film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fastwind

The possible RETURN of KODAK EXR, KODAKCHROME and other film

Post by fastwind »

This is a repost from another forum:

I just attended (last night) a SMPTE meeting of the Hollywood Chapter. The subject was "The Technology and History of Film, presented by Beverly Pasterczyk of Eastman Kodak Co." Ms. Pasterczyk is a chemist with film R & D at Kodak, and she mentioned that Kodak Research is currently engaged in the continuing design and implementation of new emulsions, such as the new version of the Vision III product.

Regarding consumer films, she said that they are considering restructuring a new approach aimed at producing these at a reasonable cost in much smaller volumes than in the past. She said that new technology will permit them to continue to produce these in "boutique quantities" using single coating machines rather than the huge multiple coaters of the past. She said that basically, as long as they had sufficient orders for a minimum of a single master roll "54 inches (almost 1-1/2 meters) wide by whatever length - no minimum stated", they would consider examining production in terms of the economics involved. Future production would primarily be on an "on demand" basis.

This would include the infrastructure for processing, probably at a single lab, either in Rochester NY, or sub-contracted.

"On demand" could conceivably include any film that Kodak has ever manufactured. Someone in the audience asked the inevitable question: "Including Kodachrome?" Her answer: "Yes, including Kodachrome". She added that while small runs of Kodachrome were unlikely, it was not out of the question, since they have had numerous inquiries.

To the question "How could this be made possible?" her answer was intriguing. "Volume is the answer. Consumer groups of large numbers of individuals could petition for the return of a specific film. This would include not only large companies, but also individuals banded together such as camera clubs, especially those with a large enough base such that they could collectively join on a national or even international basis".
grainy

Re: The possible RETURN of KODAK EXR, KODAKCHROME and other

Post by grainy »

Woah -- that's the kind of "commitment to film" I was waiting for!

What's the differentce between using a single coat vs. multi coat machine?

Are they talking about these films in any format, (8,16, 35)? Sounds like they are...

Thanks for the update
G
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

If true and if they pull it off I'll be very impressed. I have simply assumed they were too large to adapt and would just fade away.
8mm

Post by 8mm »

Well, this is a great idea! If we here on this forum for example would to get together and order film directly from Kodak we could get it much cheaper than from a retailer. And they would make the films just for us which means that you would always get fresh film stock. Keep up the good work Kodak, I support this idea!
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

I think I read somewhere that they only was to manufacture those films on demand for photographic purposes but that could stil open up for firms like Wittner etc to pack 8mm.

Shoot..
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Yes, however I wouldn't get too excited about this. Remember that a master roll web is 54" or 1350mm. That is over 80 x 16mm widths for example. Now, according to Ron Mowrey's new book on emulsion making (Ron is a retired Kodak engineer) the curtain coating systems that Kodak use have a minimum speed of 500' per minute. That isn't the speed of the machines, that is the minimum speed that curtain coating can successfully coat at. So, in 16mm terms, that's 400 x 100' rolls per minute. Now, with wastage at start up and close down, they couldn't run such a machine for just 1 minute. So someone would need to stump up for at least a few thousand rolls, and then sell them. Yes, this way Kodak aren't having to hold the stock in a warehouse, but rather have already sold it to one customer who is doing the work of selling it on, so that makes it less risk for Kodak than the traditional method of being the seller themselves.
Don't get me wrong, I too am enthused by this proposal. I was just involved in a group purchase of Fomapan. Several small artist run labs got together to place a large order. We managed to get together a 4000 Euro order. That equates to about 260 x 100' rolls of Fomapan. At 80 rolls per master roll width, that makes about 300' worth. I don't think Foma use the superior curtain type coating method that Kodak use. Further, there was a lot of trust involved in getting this 4000 euro order together and paid for. It was hard work and nearly didn't come off.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

This is what i've been thinking they should have been doing for a while now... scaling down their film production for the market that persists. By catering to a smaller more specialized market, there is room for growth and interest in newer generations looking for something different. Lomography is the perfect example... they offer more abstract looking film stocks for a smaller artistic market who wants something more unique, looks that digital can't offer.

For now, I'm just hoping they hang on to 100D in S8 and 16mm. Ideally, it would be nice if they actually came out with a new 200T/125D reversal film with newer technology. Something with the intense color of 100D that can be used in artificial or daylight, with the same or better grain and color as 100D. Or a new negative that offers a much more intense film look as opposed to the neutral muted Vision stocks. Film stocks that aim to give film looks that can't be achieved by HD or digital.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
BAC

Post by BAC »

Shouldn't they be able to cut more than one stock from a single roll to handle smaller orders as long as it's all the same emulsion?
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

BAC wrote:Shouldn't they be able to cut more than one stock from a single roll to handle smaller orders as long as it's all the same emulsion?
Not sure what you mean by this. A different stock would be a different emulsion. Of course, the way we are using the word 'emulsion' we mean it to include the entire film coating, which usually has several - up to a dozen or so - some of which are 'emulsions' in the photographic sense of meaning a silver-hailide suspension in gelatin, and some are other things.
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
BAC

Post by BAC »

I meant couldn't they cut 8mm, 16mm, 35mm etc. from one roll of something like E 100D?
MattWalters

Post by MattWalters »

this would be amazing as I never had the chance to use Kodachrome before and I would love to!
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

BAC wrote:I meant couldn't they cut 8mm, 16mm, 35mm etc. from one roll of something like E 100D?
Oh. Yes, they can do that.
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au