help with canon 514XLS

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

help with canon 514XLS

Post by mr8mm »

I have two Canon 514XLS cameras. One has an exposure meter that reads incorrectly. The f/stop is set for a higher ASA and underexposes the film. How can the exposure meter be adjusted. Curiously if the E100D cart is modified to be ASA 40, the camera exposes the film almost correctly.

The other camera reads the film cart correctly and battery test works but the Zoom motor and the film advance motor do not work. So, the film does not advance.

In fact I have a number of other cameras that do not give the correct exposure including a Nikon R10. I am well aware of the E100D problem regarding correct exposure. These cameras just plain do not work. Time to go digital.

John S.
MIKI-814

Re: help with canon 514XLS

Post by MIKI-814 »

All I can tell you is that in Microdeltabalears.com (Spain) can repair the R10 fotometer, which seems to be very difficult or impossible for others.

I've heard many stories about possible exposures with Ektachrome 100D... I think in the end it's a matter of taste, but the man behind ochoypico.com told me that for best telecine results it's very important to expose it at is official ASA 100.

Sorry I cannot help you with the 514 issues.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

mr8mm wrote:I have two Canon 514XLS cameras. One has an exposure meter that reads incorrectly. The f/stop is set for a higher ASA and underexposes the film. How can the exposure meter be adjusted. Curiously if the E100D cart is modified to be ASA 40, the camera exposes the film almost correctly.
When is the last time you used the camera that is exposing incorrectly? From what you describe, it is almost like the second pin at the bottom is not engaging correctly. Try pressing and releasing this pin gently maybe this will release whatever is stuck. I have run into issues like that with cameras that have not been used in ages.
MIKI-814 wrote:I've heard many stories about possible exposures with Ektachrome 100D...
There are no issues with exposing 100D. In most cases (and if it is not related to problems with light meaurement cells themselves) the only issue is users who do not know how to use their cameras and what the camera is capable of when it comes to sensing ASAs. Specially the difference between G-Type and Daylight-Type cameras.
Last edited by Lunar07 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

..............duplicate removed.
retrogrouch

Post by retrogrouch »

Spectra Film and video do mods on Canon light meters. Maybe they can help. If shooting in with auto metering is your goal, but you want o manipulate the exposure a little, the cheapest option would be to find a forgotten gem, like the GAF 800 or 500 series, that has a compensation dial, and can be had for next to nothing. ( I have seen some wonderful results fro these cameras)

RG
retrogrouch

Post by retrogrouch »

PS about the " going digital" thing- be strong my brother
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Thanks for the advice. I would like to crack open the 514 that is not running just to see what makes it tick. Any suggestion on how to open a Canon 514. I think some of the problems relate to lack of use for the cameras. The suggestiion about the GAF cameras makes sense as a alternative to going digital because almost all of my cameras do not expose 100D correctly. Of course the other possibility is to use my trusty Bolex R8 camera.

Thanks again--John S.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Lunar07 wrote:
MIKI-814 wrote:I've heard many stories about possible exposures with Ektachrome 100D...
There are no issues with exposing 100D. In most cases (and if it is not related to problems with light meaurement cells themselves) the only issue is users who do not know how to use their cameras and what the camera is capable of when it comes to sensing ASAs. Specially the difference between G-Type and Daylight-Type cameras.
What I meant is that some people suggest to expose the E100D as ASA 80 or even 64 instead of 100. Even Wittner notched Wittnerchrome 100D as ASA 64 at the beginning. All are possible options because this stock has a good latitude as reversal film, but for telecine the best option is to shoot it as normal ASA 100.
retrogrouch

Post by retrogrouch »

I love dissection. I have gone into some of the older canons, and with out mucking up to much got them going again. It probably has a hatch, with the screws hidden under a sticker. My experience has been that electrical contacts are dirty, and need a scrape with and x-acto knife, or a battery has leaked, and I throw the camera away. Good luck
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

MIKI-814 wrote:
Lunar07 wrote:
What I meant is that some people suggest to expose the E100D as ASA 80 or even 64 instead of 100. Even Wittner notched Wittnerchrome 100D as ASA 64 at the beginning. All are possible options because this stock has a good latitude as reversal film, but for telecine the best option is to shoot it as normal ASA 100.
I see what you mean. The Wittner initial notch of 100D at speed notch 64D/100T is kind of funny in a way, because such a notch allows for exposing 100D correctly on G-Type cameras that support the 100T notch like Eumig Viennette 8, Bauer C Royal, and many other cameras.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The camera seems to be making electrical contact because the Check battery light works, the Sound works and the exposure meter indicates correct exposure but the zoom lens and film advance motor do not work. Seems to be something internal not just a matter of scraping contacts. But what do I know maybe there are two sets of contacts in the battery compartment one for one set peripherals and another for the motors.
retrogrouch

Post by retrogrouch »

If it were me, I would strip down the one that doesn't run, and see if there is some way of adjusting the meter, and poke around with a voltage meter to see if you can find were the problem is. Chances are, you won't find it, and the camera will end up in the bin, but you won't have lost anything, and will know a lot more about your other camera. I think you are right about the power source. The problem sounds like it is some were after the power goes to the meter, and before it gets to the zoom motor.Sorry I can be more help