Going digital for all intents and purposes...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

Going digital for all intents and purposes...

Post by super8man »

Hahaha, just found out my website that had been hosted on pacbell.net for ages is now gone as of June 1. Shows how often I looked at it. Time to move the content over to my outriggercanoe.com website...in time...I have to admit, my Canon S90 is doing all my work in both still and movie these days. Having kids will do that to you. I'll also be doing a big sell off of most of my analog gear in September at a local camera swap meet. I already gave my Nikon F5 and F3 to my nephew. I kepy my Nikon F2 gear for swap meet sale. All my super 8 cameras except for the Nikon R8 and Canon 814XLS will attempt to be sold too. At some point I guess you just have to cry "Uncle" and move on...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mr8mm

Re: Going digital for all intents and purposes...

Post by mr8mm »

Sorry to see you go over to the dark side.

John S.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I appreciate the "guilty" post.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

You traitor.... well, just kødding....;)

Well anywayhow, I am going the opposite direction - going film - always unless merely impossible....not yet... I enjoy dropping off my 35mm films at my PhotoShop and enjoy my paper copies of Ecellent quality 1 hour later and in Zhe afternoon I scan my woderful Fuji 800 negatives onto my computer,,

However, looks like Kodak is on the offensive in the film supply corner these days...juding my PS deals stocks....

good luck anyways.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
grainy

Post by grainy »

super8man wrote:Hahaha, just found out my website that had been hosted on pacbell.net for ages is now gone as of June 1. Shows how often I looked at it. Time to move the content over to my outriggercanoe.com website...in time...I have to admit, my Canon S90 is doing all my work in both still and movie these days. Having kids will do that to you. I'll also be doing a big sell off of most of my analog gear in September at a local camera swap meet. I already gave my Nikon F5 and F3 to my nephew. I kepy my Nikon F2 gear for swap meet sale. All my super 8 cameras except for the Nikon R8 and Canon 814XLS will attempt to be sold too. At some point I guess you just have to cry "Uncle" and move on...
Sad to hear it, s8m... I actually shoot MORE super 8 because I have kids. There's nothing like watching the little 3 minute reels projected on the wall after forgetting about them for 6 months. Just shot a little family reunion last weekend, everyone stared at the lovely ol' gear. Made it seem special instead of TV-mundane. But, you know... most people want a new car that runs, some stick doggedly with their '57 chevy, so to speak.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I'm sorry to hear that Super8man. Your web site was a useful resource and an inspiration for me while I was getting back into film. I hope you keep the site up, there's a lot of great information there.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Hi Super8man!

I understand you. I have two kids myself (3 and 1.5 years old). These days I mainly use my Nikon D60 and Sanyo HD camcorder + my iPhone.

However, I occationally dig out my Nizo Pro and shoot some cartridges. I guess I've shot about 5-6 this year. I even pulled out my K3 16mm camera this spring and shot a spool of 50D. Wonderful, even though I haven't watched the footage yet. It's all waiting for a magic moment.

I keep thinking about starting to use my Bolex H16 that I got modified to S16 and PL + Nikon mount ... and I must not forget my Beaulieu 4008zmII cameras. I love them!

Keep the most important cameras. Some day you will want to shoot with them again!

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

awand wrote:Hi Super8man!

Keep the most important cameras. Some day you will want to shoot with them again!

/Andreas
Agreed!
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
etimh

Post by etimh »

super8man wrote:Time to move the content over to my outriggercanoe.com website...in time...
Will you keep up all of the pages as an archive? I can't tell you how often I go back and read something from your site to refresh my memory about this or that. Not to mention how many people I direct there when they are just getting acquaninted. It would be a shame to lose such a valuable resource.

Tim
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

I use a Canon HF11 for most things now - it's just the ease and cheapness - you can't beat SUper 8 in some respects though - but the HD digital is easy enough and cheap enough.

It is alot of fun for the kids though when we get the projector out and run some old reels. But you know I just got some juk mail in the letterbox - Australia Post is selling an HD camcorder for $99 -- sure it will be crappy but at that price alot of people aren't going to worry.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
super8man

Post by super8man »

Yeah, since my pacbell domain died (without warning) I will do my best to put the content that I have backed up onto my outriggercanoe.com website. I want to keep up the information since a lot of time went into it. Like I said, I will keep three or four cameras including my Scoopic 16MS and the Bolex H8Rx. I have been undergoing a few domestic changes as well so with young kids you got to keep serious about expenses. Typically, my filming exploits are saved for days I get to go sailing on San Francisco Bay. Times like that are worthy of film. Though if I move up to the Canon S95, I may be pleasantly surprised how little I shoot film anymore.

But, all in all, film is still great. But time is not on my side these days so digital wins. Hopefully in time I can shoot more film...

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

I went through this phase too when I got a Sony 8mm camcorder. I traded or gave away a Bell and Howell16mm projector, a Yashica super-40k, a Konica compact 8 and Sankyo super LXL 250. The camcorder broke down so you would put tapes in and it would just eject right away. I bought another camcorder at a flee market and it did the same before I could digitize all my 8mm tapes, now I have to find another one! It makes me afraid in a few years we will have problems with cameras unable to read sd-cards anymore, or pc's unable to read flash drives or burned dvd's. Therefore I'm using film again when I can afford to.

By the way, I was just looking, seems like all your stuff is still on archive.org :D
Angus

Post by Angus »

I thought I'd given up super 8 filming at the end of 1995....only to return in 2000. I shoot less than I did in the Kodachrome days, partly for financial reasons and partly due to time but I still try to shoot film for special occasions.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

This space was left intenionally blank.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

slashmaster wrote:The camcorder broke down so you would put tapes in and it would just eject right away.:D
I had a similar problem with 2 mindv cameras - with the tape drive and ejec function not working properly -- which is one reason why I got the HF11 which goes straight to memory --> no moving parts!