bauer royal 8e variable shutter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gahoona

bauer royal 8e variable shutter

Post by gahoona »

Hello. I have the Bauer royal 8e figured out all but one part. the variable shutter. I have the instruction manual and its not helpful. question, Is the variable auto adjust when the slide switch is on green or do you have to make all the adjustments yourself manually.( i know its also a fader dial) reworded, is there an auto for variable shutter.
thanks Ian
super8man

Re: bauer royal 8e variable shutter

Post by super8man »

The green indicates that the shutter is in the normal position - it's most "open".

You then turn the big dial to close the shutter from that position.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

Yes but, do I have to make the aperture adjustments myself (manually) or is that an auto slide switch next to the fader.(red and green slide switch)
thanks super8man.
Ian
super8man

Post by super8man »

I don't have the camera handy to me nor the instructions but it seems to me the shutter would NOT be linked to the aperture. The reason being is that you are purposely trying to fade a scene to black (without changing the depth of field, etc) when using the variable shutter dial (like when you crank it all the way to the closed position). It only makes sense since otherwise the aperture would keep opening wider every time you tried to partially close the shutter, thereby negating the effect of the variable shutter in the first place.

Given that, make all your measurements at the wide open shutter setting, say you get f8. Then, if you want to shoot with a smaller shutter anghle, be sure to reset the aperture to manual and open it up (like 5.6 or 4) as you close the shutter down.

Best of luck.
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

Thank you. that makes sense. I have also the older c royal and thought they may have upgraded it to an auto option.Great camera .
Thanks for the reply, Ian
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

With a Bauer A 512, opening or closing the variable shutter has no effect on the diaphragm.

Position 1 is equivalent to half the duration of exposure.
Position 2, a quarter.

For 18 frames per second:
Position OPEN (150°) = 1/43 s
Position 1 (75°): 1/86 s
Position 2 (37°): 1/172 s