Give me the most extreme anything you can think of!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Re: Give me the most extreme anything you can think of!

Post by slashmaster »

Shanec8mm wrote:The auto-load on my B&H 466 does not use a sprocket drive system, and that is why it doesn't eat or scratch the film. The film rides over the guide rollers, and through the film gate to the take up reel. Those earlier B&H's can do a lot of damage. A bad splice can cause a jam in those sprocket-driven models. I had a bad splice a few months ago and the only thing that happened was the film stopped and I was able to turn the projector off and repair the film. On the other models (sprocket-driven)the film probably would have continued to move forward as film coming into the gate began to back up, causing all sorts of problems.
Speaking of that I've been trying to date these projectors too. You said yours is later than mine and it looks so. When do you think yours was made? When do you think mine was made? I can't seem to find a date anywhere on it. Mine has plastic gears so can't be too early.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Not cine equipment as such but my Canon T70 35mm SLR from the early 80s has a motor drive speed of 1 frame per second. How's that for extreme!
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

slashmaster wrote:
Shanec8mm wrote:The auto-load on my B&H 466 does not use a sprocket drive system, and that is why it doesn't eat or scratch the film. The film rides over the guide rollers, and through the film gate to the take up reel. Those earlier B&H's can do a lot of damage. A bad splice can cause a jam in those sprocket-driven models. I had a bad splice a few months ago and the only thing that happened was the film stopped and I was able to turn the projector off and repair the film. On the other models (sprocket-driven)the film probably would have continued to move forward as film coming into the gate began to back up, causing all sorts of problems.
Speaking of that I've been trying to date these projectors too. You said yours is later than mine and it looks so. When do you think yours was made? When do you think mine was made? I can't seem to find a date anywhere on it. Mine has plastic gears so can't be too early.
My projector dates from around 1967. It is a dual format projector, as I think you know, playing both Standard 8 and Super 8. Is yours a Super 8 or Standard 8 projector? I'd have to see a photo of it. Remember that Super 8 did not hit the market until 1965, so if it's a Super 8 projector it will have been made after 65'.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Patrick wrote:Not cine equipment as such but my Canon T70 35mm SLR from the early 80s has a motor drive speed of 1 frame per second. How's that for extreme!
Patrick that is very interesting! Yes extreme too!
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Slashmaster, I think the date of manufacturer can be found on the identification plate? That plate is usually found either on the back or bottom of the projector. There should be a long code, and in that code there should be a year included. I think that is correct?
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Shanec8mm wrote:Slashmaster, I think the date of manufacturer can be found on the identification plate? That plate is usually found either on the back or bottom of the projector. There should be a long code, and in that code there should be a year included. I think that is correct?
Mine says nothing underneath, on the aluminum it has printed "SER" then stamped into the plate "CG-704I2" and thats the letter I not the number one. So how do you get a date from that? It was made in 1970? Oh yeah, it's super 8 but my dad has 2 earlier ones with metal gears that are standard 8. Later I'll have a look at them.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

slashmaster wrote:
Shanec8mm wrote:Slashmaster, I think the date of manufacturer can be found on the identification plate? That plate is usually found either on the back or bottom of the projector. There should be a long code, and in that code there should be a year included. I think that is correct?
Mine says nothing underneath, on the aluminum it has printed "SER" then stamped into the plate "CG-704I2" and thats the letter I not the number one. So how do you get a date from that? It was made in 1970? Oh yeah, it's super 8 but my dad has 2 earlier ones with metal gears that are standard 8. Later I'll have a look at them.
That could mean 1970 not sure? Is your B&H the 346 model? my cousin has this projector and it runs quite well. I am not a fan of the auto-load with the sprockets.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Shanec8mm wrote:
slashmaster wrote:
That could mean 1970 not sure? Is your B&H the 346 model? my cousin has this projector and it runs quite well. I am not a fan of the auto-load with the sprockets.
Yes, it's a 346A. It does run well and yes the autoload was a serious problem, but once you remove the autoload parts about 90% of your problems go away! I just went to this website and discovered one of them with variable speed as well http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors.co ... age_2.html problem is according to this, it doesn't go faster than 22 fps. I know yours doesn't say but what do you think your top speed is?
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Being that my 466 is at the top end of spectrum I would say the top speed is 24fps. I can't imagine it not being 24fps. In fact it wouldn't make sense if it was any lower. The 466 was designed with professionals in mind and they would have wanted 24fps. I've had it turned up all the way and it's quite fast. I don't have any films recorded at 24fps so I can't test it.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Shanec8mm wrote:Being that my 466 is at the top end of spectrum I would say the top speed is 24fps. I can't imagine it not being 24fps. In fact it wouldn't make sense if it was any lower. The 466 was designed with professionals in mind and they would have wanted 24fps. I've had it turned up all the way and it's quite fast. I don't have any films recorded at 24fps so I can't test it.
Oh, I was hoping it went a much faster speed like 48 or 100 so you could fast forward. Yeah doesn't make sense it would be lower than 24, I'm thinking that projector where they said 22 must either be a typo or somethings wrong with it. I wonder if anyone on here has plugged a projector into one of those variable frequincy generators that change the normal 60 hz ac into other hz so they can go at much faster or slower frame rates?
super8man

Post by super8man »

wrong thread...delete.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

super8man wrote:wrong thread...delete.
Yeah this is the wrong thread for that, lol. So do you know any extreme things in film equipment super8man?
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Slashmaster how's this for extreme. The 1962 WITTNAUER MOVIE CAMERA PROJECTOR COMBO 8MM. Basically you had a camera for filming, then after processing you watched the movie on the built in projector. Pretty extreme if you ask me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Here are 2 more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Another neat photo I wanted to share with you.