Two Busted Cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Aaron_M

Two Busted Cameras

Post by Aaron_M »

Hello,

I have a Canon 612s-xl that has been in storage for awhile. It worked fine before it was boxed up six months ago (I know, they all do) but when I pulled it out to clean it up a couple of days ago I found that the camera is dead as a door nail. I want to make sure I am not making a silly mistake and simply installing the batteries incorrectly.

I do not have the instruction booklet for this camera and I was hoping all of you could help me out. If you know how the batteries should be correctly positioned in the camera could you please let me know? Also, if you know of any other troubleshooting tips for this camera I would really appreciate it if you could pass them on.

I also have a Canon 514xl-s that has croaked on me. This one has a slightly different problem: the camera will power up but the motor will not engage. The automatic meter works on the camera and the tally light is always on as soon as you turn the switch to any of the run settings. I'm wondering if the camera is somehow locked in to single frame mode and is acting like there's a remote cable attached. That may explain why the electrical circuit works but the motor will not run.

Again, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this camera I'd really appreciate the help. I've got 10 rolls of 200t in the fridge and it will be a long, boring summer if I can't use them.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron
Davideo

Re: Two Busted Cameras

Post by Davideo »

Put them both back in the closet especially the 514. I've had 2 die on me due to a manufacturing defect that exists in most cameras.

There's plenty of working cameras on eBay. If you have 10 rolls of 200T, that's a considerable expense due to the need for telecine transfers of this negative stock. It's worth it to buy a trusted camera that works.
BK

Post by BK »

Try cleaning the battery contacts, it is a common problem if a camera doesn't power up at all. The electro magnetic release trigger on these electronic model Canons are the culprit if your camera powers up but would not run, I have a couple of Canon S8 cameras with the faulty trigger.

Bill
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Aaron,

The 514xl cameras are prone to main drive gear failure. The plastic deteriorates and the teeth break off the gear and get cought in the primary gear mechanism. If you open the camera, you may find this is what happened.
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
Aaron_M

Post by Aaron_M »

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I was unable to get either camera running again. Looks like I am going shopping.
zantizoom8

Post by zantizoom8 »

what is a 612?
Forward, into the past.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I've a 514xls that I had to disassemble and lubricate the motor shaft. It was completely froze up initially.

As I recall after lubricating the shaft bearings with furnace fan oil and breaking loose the shaft I had to manually turn the shaft by hand for quite some time before the motor ran freely.

It doesn't get used often and I've been suprised each time I take it out that it continues to work well. It's been running fine for several years since the repair.

Good luck, John
zantizoom8

Post by zantizoom8 »

oh well...
:P
Forward, into the past.