Is the end near?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Actor

Is the end near?

Post by Actor »

According to Kodak's web site:
  • E64T and 100D are discontinued in 35mm cartridges.
  • B&W reversal films are discontinued in 16mm.
It's hard to believe that these will continue to be available in super8 and reg8 if they are not available in more mainstream formats. That leaves only negative emulsions for super8 and nothing for reg8.
richard p. t.

Re: Is the end near?

Post by richard p. t. »

where exactly do you get that information from?
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

Actor wrote: [*]B&W reversal films are discontinued in 16mm.
Here's the discontinued list:

<http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Pr ... /index.htm>

The 16mm reversal on this list are older versions of B&W which were replaced with the currently available 7265 and 7266 stocks.

Movie film is still alive and well. Just download their catalog at:

<http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Pr ... /index.htm>
Actor

Post by Actor »

Juno

Post by Juno »

If you take into consideration that the price of silver is going to skyrocket in the not so distant future, then you can expect all film stocks to go the way of the buffalo.
aj

Post by aj »

Actor wrote:
richard p. t. wrote:where exactly do you get that information from?

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Pr ... /index.htm

??? Kodachrome 25 How old is this list???
Seems you are creating rumors based on old and ancient info/typenumbers.
Kind regards,

André
Angus

Post by Angus »

The only real worry there is the 64T. The others are old news, years old news.

It is hardly surprising that with film sales sadly but inevitably down across the board, Kodak will rationalise its range. If film in general is selling much fewer units than a couple of years ago, then the number of products offered will be reduced to a core of the most useful films.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

NEVER.....SAY....DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Really dude, the best you can do is to buy film by the case each time you get some. Shoot as much as you can afford and turn young people onto shooting film. Recently, I sold a Nikon Super Zoom 8 to a 13 year old kid. He had the "Eye
of the Tiger" look in his eyes. I realized then that the future IS NOT doomed and it's what we make it.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Fastwind : I think you nailed it.

The "is the end near" mentality is so passive. It's sort of like saying "do you think they're going to stop printing vinyl records?"

Who knows. No one. But we all have the ability to keep buying film, and in numbers it makes a difference!

Read "The Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell. Trends have a way of gaining momentum. Subculture becomes culture. Little things make a huge difference, like carrying around your camera and shooting... having little film projection parties, shoot something, whatever man. Make it happen.

I feel like some sort of film-missionary half the time, preaching the benefits of shooting on real film... begging my friends to not fall for the "oh man this canon shoots the best video ever" syndrome. People that are aware like things that are different. People ask me all the time, "Whoa, are you shooting super 8??? I thought they discontinued that long ago." "Sh*t... no that was Kodachrome not FILM." Make people aware.

Arm yourself with knowledge and share it with others. Film is magic. Everyone loves magic.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Actor

Post by Actor »

Angus wrote:The only real worry there is the 64T. The others are old news, years old news.
In addition to the 64T it appears that the 100D is also discontinued, if I'm reading the announcement correctly. The 100D is the standard color film for Reg8 and DS-8.

Glad to hear that the B&W is "old news" but then John Schwind has posted that he intends to discontinue providing DS-8 and maybe provide only one B&W emulsion in Reg8. Seems to me that there's no getting around the fact that the golden days of 8mm film are over. I'll switch to 16mm if I must but I'll have to cut back on the quantity of film I shoot, and I never did shoot that much.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Given the fact that the discontinuation of Ektachrome 100PLUS in their range of professional 'E-Family' slide films means that instead of having a total of 5 varieties of 100 asa Ektachrome reversal emulsions they now offer only 4 (!), I don't think we need to worry. Who knows what the relationship is between 7285/5285 Ektachrome 100d cine film and these other slide emulsions. It could be one of them. Most likely they are all from the same generation of film emulsion technology. Kodak could certainly drop our 100d and keep all these others ... or vice versa!
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Movie film is still alive and well
For now, but seriously, for how long? As much as I love film, I just don't see it being around too many more decades. Having worked in a lab and watching it dry up ( and this was 30 years ago mind you, 16mm optical sound prints were still a viable option for distribution) I just don't see the combination of economic and enviromental issues allowing it to be kept alive too much longer.

Yeah, film has it's unique look, but just how much of a difference does that special look that we film buffs think is so sacrosanct make on the bottom line profit of a picture?

"Jumper" for example, was shot on a Red One. Did that fact make any difference at all in the film's profits?

Yeah, I know it's not all about the bottom line to us artistes, but as one producer/director/DP friend who once stated that he would "die with a film camera in his hand" "Artistes and purists don't pay my mortgage." My friend shoots with a Red One now, when just 2 years ago, he shot with a 35mm Moviecam. He mainly shoots commercials for national clients who are extremly picky about image. They're cool with his decision to abandon film when just 2 years ago they would've never considered anything but 35mm.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
etimh

Post by etimh »

jaxshooter wrote:
For now, but seriously, for how long? As much as I love film, I just don't see it being around too many more decades.
Good thing I'll be dead by then...

Tim
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

etimh wrote:
jaxshooter wrote:
For now, but seriously, for how long? As much as I love film, I just don't see it being around too many more decades.
Good thing I'll be dead by then...

Tim

Oh I feel pretty confident that somebody, somewhere will manufacture some type of emulsion for the niche market, maybe at least another ten years. Now whether or not any of us will be able to aford it is another matter.

Since I've been on this forum, I have been able to afford to shoot 3 test films on super 8 which cost me about what my electric bill averages a month. Hell, even 35mm stills are hard to justify.
16mm is way out of reach right now for me. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Not being pessimistic, just realistic.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
moviemat

Post by moviemat »

You can always find a way to fund an addiction.
I shoot quite a lot of film, and I'm relatively poor. It's still cheaper than the moderate cigarette habit I used to have.

Damn! I promised myself I'd never post in a "death of film" or "film v. digital" thread.

Mat