Is it dead here or just me??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ricohmite

Re: Is it dead here or just me??

Post by ricohmite »

It would discourage me from using the site if I asked a question and got a response like, "Doesn't the internet work anymore? " ie Google the answer, don't bother us. That sort of response kills half the fun for half the people. Doesn't appear to happen a lot here, but when it does it seems contradictory to the purpose of the site as a whole.
mjclash

Post by mjclash »

Ricohmite,

I'm so glad you mentioned the Yashica having a better viewfinder than the Bolex's of the era.

Dunno why, but I really like those late 50's/early 60's Japanese reg 8mm cameras. I've got an Olympus Pen 8ee and will soon have a Fujica 8ee with the 3-way turret. The Canon "Eight" and "Cine" are a little harder to find. Love to find a Minoltina with the 8mm cartridge!
JCook

Post by JCook »

I thought the answer was 6.
super8man

Post by super8man »

ricohmite wrote:I had very actively been using the internet to punt about 8mm film for over a year before I stumbled onto this site. It does not seem to have a very high profile. Is it linked to Super8man's site? I don't remember seeing it the one million times I've been there. His site comes up with great frequency in searches. Would be a great link.

I have used one of the Yashica 8 "Federwerk" with Kern lenses and liked it a lot. The viewfinder beats the heck out of the Bolex.
Correct my oversight. Thanks for the reminder!

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/super8_11.html
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Nigel,

I myself passed away just a few scant days ago.....so it's not just you.....

Mitch
etimh

Post by etimh »

Mitch Perkins wrote:Nigel,

I myself passed away just a few scant days ago.....so it's not just you.....

Mitch
:D

Tim
Nicholas_C

Post by Nicholas_C »

I've just been on a super8 workshop at Londons No.w.here. in Bethnal Green.

The course was so popular they had to add extra dates, to meet demand.
Although with only 6 places on each workshop the demand didn't have to be that huge i guess :)

anyway hopefully a sign its not all dead yet....
artist/designer/shooter www.carny.co.uk purplepixel.com http://nickcarn.tumblr.com/ http://Loopsadaisy.tumblr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carny_/ twitter:@NickCarn
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I am temporarily dormant but I have...

1. Shot over 25 rolls of Plus-x, Vision 200/500T this year. 80 percent unprocessed.
2. Completed 5x films from footage shot in 2006/2008 with 4 of them playing locally, nationally and internationally in various festivals in Toronto, Germany and Szeged, Hungary.
3. Attended the Super 8 festival in Szeged. No ONE claps. Strange but intense and rapt audience. Saw alot of badly copied UK DVDs...which still managed to win awards.
4. At least one immediate forthcoming edit coming up from 200T pushed to 400 re: recent summer wedding. The transfer is gorgeous.
5. Upload test 200/500T test footage to film shooting forum to finish older thread I opened up.
6. Announcing myself on Konvas.org.
7. Considering having Bernie LaserBrighten my 6008S.
8. Wistfully holding my ZC1000 and wondering if it truly is the best 8mm engineered camera but alas what a bitch to obtain/justify film as my current budget for Super 8 screen is approx $60 CAN for 2 m 30 s of screen time, i.e.
$20-film stock
$20-processing
$20-scene by scene color corrected transfer
9. Wondering how Justin is making out with his c/m mount lens testing, i.e. my Fujinon 5.5mm + Leicina Cinegon 10mm with his Silicon Imaging SI-2K MINI camera head? If successful should I start a Super 8 rental business? :)
10. Lamenting I do not have the cash to get Visual Instrumentation to fix my Mekel dual pin registered camera camera. I wanna smash those pumpkins in slow motion. Now!
11. Set to shoot over a thousand undead at http://www.torontozombiewalk.ca/2009_fiendraiser.html ...for 8 Fest. B/W or color? I hope my in camera edits will come fast and furious lest I get seriously distracted by drooling hordes!
12. Send email to machinist re: spherical Techniscope Super 8.
13. Seriously curious about Canon 5/7d Mark II and Panasonic GH1 systems.

In other words...whose exact death are you referring too?
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

freedom4kids wrote:$20-scene by scene color corrected transfer
Well it doesen´t have to cost half of that price... I hope you haven´t missed the prices for a HD transfer on this page: http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/?page=999
Nicholas Kovats

Uppsala.

Tsk, tsk. Shameless plug for an international transfer!

Just kidding. Though the Canadian dollar keeps getting stronger I would hesitate to start shipping my films abroad with the added shipping expense plus the increased exposure to postal/shipping loss or damage.

I like my current setup of process and transfer locally. Though I am fascinated by the sprocket-less FlashCan.

Do you have plans to engineer/retro-fit a wet-gate system? This is the Achilles heel in Super 8 transfer systems as dust/hair due to static build-up and basic lab scratches are magnified on such a tiny frame.

Although I must say that Fred's experiments with Avisynth scripts are inspirational!

The perfectionist within has almost made peace with this Super 8 conundrum.
Nicholas Kovats
aj

Post by aj »

freedom4kids wrote:I am temporarily dormant but I have...
7. Considering having Bernie LaserBrighten my 6008S.

10. Lamenting I do not have the cash to get Visual Instrumentation to fix my Mekel dual pin registered camera camera. I wanna smash those pumpkins in slow motion. Now!

In other words...whose exact death are you referring too?

Maybe Bernie can do the Mekel too? It is all mechanical (except for the heating) and if it isn''t a really special part which is broken...
Kind regards,

André
Nicholas Kovats

Hi Andre.

I have been in contact with VI about this and if I remember correctly it's a long slender special machined pin for film takeup.

They still have "some" parts but the camera also has a weird non standardized lens mount which I would want to swap out for a c-mount. Not a cheap undertaking but I will follow through on this and upload some test footage at some point. But it's not a high priority at the moment.

I know another user in UK but he is reluctant to upload test footage. I will ask him again. Hardcore Super 8 heads want to know.
Nicholas Kovats
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

freedom4kids wrote:
11. Set to shoot over a thousand undead at http://www.torontozombiewalk.ca/2009_fiendraiser.html ...for 8 Fest. B/W or color?
Oh, oh, at least *some* colour for the blood.....
freedom4kids wrote:Do you have plans to engineer/retro-fit a wet-gate system? This is the Achilles heel in Super 8 transfer systems as dust/hair due to static build-up and basic lab scratches are magnified on such a tiny frame.
I couldn't agree more.

Mitch
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

No plans for a wetgate. Perhaps sometime in the future?
For now... I am pleased with the results and choking on orders... :mrgreen:
reflex

Post by reflex »

Hey Nigel,

The forum is really quiet. Without the couple of dozen regulars dropping in once in a while, all you'd hear would be the tumbleweeds bouncing through Roger's paintings.

I think it's partially a demographic thing. Most of the people who picked up Super 8 filmmaking in the 90s and early 00s have moved on to other things or jumped headfirst into the world of professional cinematography

The other part of the equation is technology. Ten years ago, Super 8 produced markedly better results than video. These days, you can pick up a surprisingly good HD camera, color grading software and an NLE app for only a few thousand bucks. The widespread adoption of 16:9 doesn't help. Grainy, silent 4:3 footage looks old fashioned to the new generation of professionals coming of age in a digital world.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology