1014 XL-S Repair Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BigElvis

1014 XL-S Repair Question

Post by BigElvis »

So the moral of this story is: "Don't wrap your camera in a T-shirt"

As great of an idea as it might sound to be, I would not recommend wrapping your mint, awesome, like new, not a scratch 1014 XL-S in a t-shirt and place it out of reach. See, people who are not a smart as you might not see the cognitive link between faded t-shirt and camera storage solution (seems obvious to me) and could therefore snatch that old shirt up out of the seat of your car and send your camera bouncing off the pavement. Well, this time my intelligence got the best of me and now my camera's lap dissolve button is forever depressed. This forces me to keep the fade lever in the "dot" position to override the lap dissolve request.

Everything else seems to work perfectly (guess I'm not only smart... but lucky) but this setting causes me to use the camera only in the 150 deg. shutter opening configuration which is somewhat limiting.

So here's the question: Does anyone know how to open the case on the 1014 XL-S so that I can possible dislodge the stuck button? I see only one small screw on the top of the camera and one that constitutes the strap connecter on the back of the camera.

Sorry for the long post but since this is my first, and I'm asking for help, I thought I'd offer up a tip from my brilliant mind.
ronnoco

Re: 1014 XL-S Repair Question

Post by ronnoco »

I found this information somewhere on the web....I cannot personally vouch for its accuracy...follow this advice at your own risk

First off remove the batteries before doing anything. There are micro-controlled circuits in the camera, you don't want to cause a short circuit and burn something up. Also be very cautious of static electricity. I don't want to sound preachy but if you're not informed on statis discharge let me say that the human body can store thousands of volts of potential without you're knowing it. In the winter when the humidity is low and tribo-electric affect is at its strongest within the household when you touch that TV or VCR and hear that snap your passing a very large voltage on to that device. Bottom line is make sure the bench you're working at is free of carpet, styrofoam etc and ground yourself well (groud lug of a properly installed wall outlet works well) before opening up the camera.

Your first task will be to find all the hidden screws. I used a dental type pick set to remove all the plates and panels, proper tools will make the job easier and keep from tearing things up any more than necessary.

Screws to remove in no particular order

1) Behind Canon Logo faceplate (above the lens, areal bitch to get off wthout breaking it)
2) Underneath front bottom rubber pieces
3) Underneath rear bottom serial number plate
4) Underneath zoom control plate
5) Behind rubber cap that holds the screw for the shoulder strap (rear strap bar)

NOTE: On my 1014 there is a buried "C" clamp (a very small "C" clamp underneath the switch cap for the fade in/fade out function. I don't know if the 814 has auto fade in/out or not. But I had to pry the cap off the center push button with a dentists pick to expose the shaft with the "C" clamp attached underneath.

Do not pry on the cover very much if at all, once you've found all the screws it will come off with little effort.

If you get frustrated with one of the hidden covers, go take a stab at one of the others, or just plain take a break. Sometimes removing one of the easier covers will give some insight on how to tackle the harder ones. All I know is it took me several hours the first time around to find everything.

After you remove the cover denote the fact that all of the panel mounted controls have some sort of plastic shaft that reaches into recesses of the controls on the PWB. WHen its time to re-assemble I'd suggest centering all the control on the PCB and then center the controls on the side plate and attempt to re-assemble.

DO NOT RE-INSTALL all of the screws until you've temporarily installed batteries and checked all the countrol functions. Also the view finder (open/close) control is a pain to get back the first time, it'll probably take a couple of trial runs to get everything lined up and working.

Good luck, don't plan on making this a one day affair. It may take several sessions to get everything done.
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

BigElvis wrote:So the moral of this story is: "Don't wrap your camera in a T-shirt"

As great of an idea as it might sound to be, I would not recommend wrapping your mint, awesome, like new, not a scratch 1014 XL-S in a t-shirt and place it out of reach. See, people who are not a smart as you might not see the cognitive link between faded t-shirt and camera storage solution (seems obvious to me) and could therefore snatch that old shirt up out of the seat of your car and send your camera bouncing off the pavement. Well, this time my intelligence got the best of me and now my camera's lap dissolve button is forever depressed. This forces me to keep the fade lever in the "dot" position to override the lap dissolve request.

Everything else seems to work perfectly (guess I'm not only smart... but lucky) but this setting causes me to use the camera only in the 150 deg. shutter opening configuration which is somewhat limiting.

So here's the question: Does anyone know how to open the case on the 1014 XL-S so that I can possible dislodge the stuck button? I see only one small screw on the top of the camera and one that constitutes the strap connecter on the back of the camera.

Sorry for the long post but since this is my first, and I'm asking for help, I thought I'd offer up a tip from my brilliant mind.
Very cool. I have been looking for a way to bash my 814XLS and I might try this. What kind of T-shirt were you using :D
Rick
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Rick, can I have the battery compartment door off you 814xls before you t-hurl? :)
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

adamgarner wrote:Rick, can I have the battery compartment door off you 814xls before you t-hurl? :)
Only if you scratch the lens first. :D

And BigElvis, don't think we are making fun. It was your humourous tone that got me started. More of that is needed everywhere.

Rick
BigElvis

Post by BigElvis »

Very cool. I have been looking for a way to bash my 814XLS and I might try this. What kind of T-shirt were you using
I was using a well-worn, long sleeve, Heineken, cotton tee for added protection but I'd recommend something in a flannel or maybe a knit to add a little extra spin to the thing when it becomes airborne.
-No offense taken.

Thanks, ronnoco, for the info. I'll begin picking away at it over the holidays and maybe get to work on my next project by the start of the new year. It would be a lot easier to get the look I want if I can adjust the lens angle of the camera.
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Thanks, ronnoco, for the info. I'll begin picking away at it over the holidays and maybe get to work on my next project by the start of the new year. It would be a lot easier to get the look I want if I can adjust the lens angle of the camera.
No worries...good luck with your repair :D
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

It would be a lot easier to get the look I want if I can adjust the lens angle of the camera.
I'm curious, what do you mean adjust the lens angle?

Also, I'm sure you know that Du-all does a full overhaul on a 1014 for 350 bucks. Not sure if it's worth it for a messed up button, but an option nonetheless. The could maybe cut a deal to fix that piece. Just a thought.

I think if I t-hurled my 1014 my heart would jump out of my chest as I watched it hit the concrete at 36fps.... (lame filmy joke)
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
BigElvis

Post by BigElvis »

adamgarner wrote:
I'm curious, what do you mean adjust the lens angle?

Also, I'm sure you know that Du-all does a full overhaul on a 1014 for 350 bucks. Not sure if it's worth it for a messed up button, but an option nonetheless. The could maybe cut a deal to fix that piece. Just a thought.

I think if I t-hurled my 1014 my heart would jump out of my chest as I watched it hit the concrete at 36fps.... (lame filmy joke)
I meant to say/type shutter angle. I think the post above my reply "Only if you scratch the lens first" was making me think how lucky I am that my camera hit the way it did.

I probably do need to get it out for repair but the last roll I got back after the incident still looks really good. We'll see how it goes with the home repair effort and my limited film budget.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

OK! I guess I've been reading too much about recentering lenses for super 16 and thought maybe you were doing some sort of recentering on the 1014 for a wide-screen format I didn't know about.

Lucky that lens didn't scratch for sure!
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
JCook

Post by JCook »

BigElvis

I can personnaly vouge for the long dissassembly instructions, I posted them here a couple years ago. Use the forum's search feature, I've posted several follow ups' to this tear down procedure in several threads in this forum, they may still be there in cyber space.

Let me know if you get stuck and need someplace to vent.

Good luck, John
JCook

Post by JCook »

Elvis,

I found the original thread, search for 814 and my name, jcook, using the advanced search feature. I tried to paste it here but for whatever reason it doesn't paste correctly.

There are relevant comments out there from numerous people. Try searching for both "814" and "1014" with my name or others names once you get a lead on the others involved with a pertinent thread. These cameras are very smilar in build with the 1014XL-S having a few more bells and whistles.

Regards, John
BigElvis

Post by BigElvis »

JCook wrote:Elvis,

I found the original thread, search for 814 and my name, jcook, using the advanced search feature. I tried to paste it here but for whatever reason it doesn't paste correctly.

There are relevant comments out there from numerous people. Try searching for both "814" and "1014" with my name or others names once you get a lead on the others involved with a pertinent thread. These cameras are very smilar in build with the 1014XL-S having a few more bells and whistles.

Regards, John
Thanks John... Thanks everybody.

I'll start whittling away at it over the next couple of weeks and give you guys an update on the progress. Look for the riveting posts to follow.