Latitude of ektachrome

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sunrise

Latitude of ektachrome

Post by sunrise »

How wide is the latitude of ektachrome 64T?
How many stops before it goes complete black or burns?

michael
mondo77

Re: Latitude of ektachrome

Post by mondo77 »

Sunrise,

I don't know the answer. I just want to say thank you for your previous posts that I saw in the archive about filming live gigs. I've not seen any recent posts from you. Maybe I didn't see them. Either way, thanks for your posts about live shooting and the canon 318m (if I remember right!!!)

ps. i've 6 carts of e64t to use next month. I've overexposed it 2/3 of a stop before and it looked ok. 1 stop plus over starts to look really washed out. underexposing a stop-ish looked really bad. Could barely make out some details of what I'd shot. hope someone can be more exact on the answer though.this is just my guesstimate
reflex

Post by reflex »

Roughly -4/+3 stops. For comparison, you can tease slightly more than +/-5 stops from Vision2 200T.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Thanks.

I have never used this stock before and I am shooting a scene where the whites are supposed to burn out. Measuring 4 stops above should be safe then.

michael
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

reflex wrote:Roughly -4/+3 stops. For comparison, you can tease slightly more than +/-5 stops from Vision2 200T.
There's no way that could be right. The newer Ektachromes are more liberal than previous reversal films, but somehow that seems extremely optimistic. I'd say about one over and 1/2-1/3 under. Traditionally reversal stocks have always reacted better to underexposure than overexposure.

I'm going to experiment with that one myself this week, now that I have a camera that can handle E64T and also has true manual exposure. I remember a while back someone posted their test results with overexposing and underexposing E64T, and it looked pretty decent.

From what I understand, E100D can go a full stop in either direction and still look good. Have to try that one out too.
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
reflex

Post by reflex »

Here's a chart from Kodak's E-64T technical page. It shows an exposure latitude of around -4/+3 stops:

Sunrise didn't ask "how much can I overexpose the film?" He asked what the film's latitude was.

To get the effect he's after, he'll have to adjust his exposure so that the highlights are around 2 1/2 to 3 stops overexposed. A camera test with exposure bracketing will be definitive - it'll allow him to get exactly the look he's going for (and it would be awesome if he'd post stills as a reference for the rest of us!)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology