How much is too much?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Muckymuck

How much is too much?

Post by Muckymuck »

What is the most you would pay for a cartridge of outdated Agfa moviechrome? I've found some but it seems the price is unrealistically high. I'm not super desperate for some yet, but is it really so rare now that it should cost more than the current stocks, or should I wait until a better offer comes along before stocking up again?
MIKI-814

Re: How much is too much?

Post by MIKI-814 »

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny. Agfa stocks are very old and is not realistic to expect good results after development...
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Speaking of paying too much.
I watched a Minolta 601XL on ebay go for $400.
Crazy I tells ya.

vidwerk.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Muckymuck, I think I have one. PM me if you want it.
aj

Post by aj »

Well, the white boxed ones should be fun.

Considering fresh film costs over Euro 15 and processing will take Euro 15-20

Euro 5 a piece incl shipping is then about max. At photoshows and such you can find them at 1-3 Euro. Even got 5pcs with sound at only Euro 2 per piece. Processing costs the most money and is best done by yourself. Fun too!
Kind regards,

André
aj

Post by aj »

BTW Don't bother with this bluebeanie guy. He used to post his auctions here posing as a poor student who needed some cash. Clearly found out that posting them with a upper-bandwidth buynow still atracts a buyer who has read about these wonderful results and has too much money to spend. For example a Euro 20 per minute is still OK. In general the best buyer when you are selling :)
Kind regards,

André
dave

Post by dave »

Looking at this thread it appears to be safe to state that i have 63 rolls of tested stock ECKTACHROME SOUND STOCK ELA 594 available @$25 each
Processing runs approx $30 each
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I recently got a roll of ancient R200 Single 8 from bluebeanie (ducking for cover), expensive at £4.00 total but it was a 100% charity auction... I would expect that students eventually graduate and get jobs and make money! I've some idea to reuse the cart with that german meterware taped onto the end of clipped film and respooled.

I regularly bid and sometimes win old cameras with super 8 films included.. typically £2 - £3 a roll of unknown quality with camera. Don't see to much film at fairs or markets these days... It's really only good for experimental or personal materials. I'm doing a time lapse and home movies now with found films. It's a gamble and false economy if the films turns out $£*%!

I'm tempted by Sound films, which are an exception to that economy, if you can find a decent working sound camera, and have tested film like Dave's.

G 8)
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

dave wrote:Looking at this thread it appears to be safe to state that i have 63 rolls of tested stock ECKTACHROME SOUND STOCK ELA 594 available @$25 each
Processing runs approx $30 each
Interesting to hear that, as I have a new 1014 XL-S yet to shoot sound.

What ASA is that Ektachrome? Expiry date? Is it loaded into cartridges or "meterware"? Where can be sound film still processed?

Sorry, too much questions :o
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

I would be tempted to try some old sound Ektachrome too come to think of it, but I recall that Frank Bruinsma can only process certain types of old Ektachrome. Can these still be processed in Europe?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I would be tempted to try some old sound Ektachrome too come to think of it
But why? Sound... that could be interesting I guess.

But even if you save money on the stock getting it processed will probably make up for the difference, and that Ektachrome 160 really sucked compared to 64T and especially 100D. Not sure which emulsion that sound Ektachrome is based off of but it can't be all that good looking.

The only stock I miss is Kodachrome and mainly for the archival quality.

Does anyone in the world still do sound striping? Ektachrome 100D with a sound stripe might be fun.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

Why? Sheer curiosity to see how it turns out . Same reason I've tried other old film stock.

You don't expect it to be perfect as it rarely is, but sometimes the colour shifts are interesting- just look at the article about the cover-person on the current issue of Smallformat- she uses old orwo films which in my experience deteriorate quite badly but somehow she managed to get great reds and interesting patterns on it.

I think anyone buying old stock hoping for it to be as it was when it was new is kidding themselves, but anyone wanting it for what it is will be pleased with the off-colour result. Home-processing can be fun for this too.

You just don't expect to pay £18.99 for it which is what one seller was asking. Someone on this forum once wanted about £15 for one too a while ago if I remember rightly.

One of the most interesting old films I got was a Dixons one which came free in a camera I bought which turned out with images tinted like a green highlighter pen!
dave

Post by dave »

To all:
The ASA is160 and will expose properly in all sound cameras.Film was batch tested by MARTIN BAUMGARTEN AT PPS IN NEW YORK. Outside of the US processing is done by nano lab in australia.There may be other labs in europe but i am not aware of any.THESE ARE THE LAST OF THE ORIGINAL KODAK CARTS MANUFACTURED IN THE LATE 90's 1996? and were kept frozen since.
Procressing by labs in the US RUNS APPROX $30 PER ROLL
DAVE
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Why? Sheer curiosity to see how it turns out . Same reason I've tried other old film stock.
Nothing wrong with trying things especially from an artistic point of view.

You can also take 64T and leave it in your car in the sun for a few days and run it through an airport x-ray and get a similar effect but save on the processing.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

I never thought of that- would it have a similar effect? Anyone tried it?