Recording sound

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Videogriff

Recording sound

Post by Videogriff »

I realize this is a film forum, yet sound is half of the end product.

-Do any of you use a separate sound recording unit to capture sound. what brands what's good and cheap and could take a xlr input.

-I am interested in recording very small sounds. Any thoughts on how to get these sounds on tape?

-I have a pair of old senheizer shot gun mics that I will probably try playing with.

Thanks much.
Blue Audio Visual

Re: Recording sound

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Videogriff wrote:-Do any of you use a separate sound recording unit to capture sound. what brands what's good and cheap and could take a xlr input.
Zoom Z4 is OK, Marantz PMD660 I would recommend. M-Audio Microtrack - forget it IMHO, though the new version 2 may be better, I haven't tried it.
-I am interested in recording very small sounds. Any thoughts on how to get these sounds on tape?
Not sure what you mean by "very small sounds"? And what the hell is "tape"???
-I have a pair of old senheizer shot gun mics that I will probably try playing with.
Make sure that if they are T-powered (12v) rather than Phantom (<=48v) that the recorder won't fry them. Check the suffix at the end of the model number.
downix

Post by downix »

Videogriff wrote:I realize this is a film forum, yet sound is half of the end product.

-Do any of you use a separate sound recording unit to capture sound. what brands what's good and cheap and could take a xlr input.
As there hasn't been Super8 with magstripe for recording for a few years, this is about the only choice for people now. I use a Nagra III
Take out your field recorder, and record them?

Thanks much.
Then have fun!
dave

Post by dave »

if you need sound, use sound film it's the easiest and most economical way to do it
i have 63 rolls of kodak ecktachrome sound film ela594 asa160for sale@ $25 per roll
sk8

Post by sk8 »

dave, who processes ela594?
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I use the Zoom H4.
It's a lot cheaper than the Marantz PMD660.
Some say the H4 has better pre amps (less noisy) than the Marantz, but then the audio levels are easier to control on the Marantz.
I used the Marantz a little and sound wise I could not tell the difference between that and the H4, but I'm no sound man.

It all depends on budget and what you need feature wise.

The H4 goes for around 300pounds in the UK (600dollars US) and the H4 is around 200pounds (400 US), you can get new ones cheaper on ebay.

Good luck!
Chris.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

I've got a Nagra 4.2L with crystal, pilotone and much-sought-after preamp. I've got some cool stuff for doing pilotone sync btwn S8 or 16mm cameras and the Nagra. It was bought and used for 2nd system sound for short films, but I'm done with it now -- my studio partner bought a $2500 piece of digital kit that is much more reasonably sized for road gear.

Funny thing though... we took both to a baseball game to do some side-by-side tests and the Nagra whipped the digital box's ass in every category, especially the much-forgotten category, "How quick can you go from off to recording?" The boot time on the Nagra is quite short. :)

It's all going on eBay soon unless somebody here wants it. I'll take pictures and all that. PM me if you're interested.
MusicConductor

Post by MusicConductor »

If those options are too expensive, you can also record "wild" to ANY format that is oscillator-controlled (so speed is always exactly constant and stable) and "fix" sync in software later. That is to say, ALL video cameras, plus any digital-audio format, will suffice. This includes the latest blooming of handheld PCM recorders (I have an Olympus LS-10 and it is delightful). Of course, this assumes that you're intending to put this footage into a computer. If you need to go the old-fashioned camera-to-projection route directly, then pre-striped film and the lower-quality stripe recording is your best option.

One advantage of doing double-sound via video camera is that you have a secondary visual reference, and when recording sound "wild" it is a definitly a plus to have more clues for synchronization after the fact. Unless you're able to get a slate on every shot. I sure haven't.

Once your sound is compiled-to-picture in digital format, you can project or record to striped film via a pulse-sync system such as is found with Elmo gear, or simply export to DVD.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

I like using a zoom h4 a lot. This isn't really for "home movies" though. You really need someone to snap a clap board for later sound sync to the image. I've had great results with a clapboard and my 1014XL-S with the Zoom.

If you're looking for easy sound recording, well, I'm not sure there's a good answer for that. I don't think anyone develops sound film anymore.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
dave

Post by dave »

kodachrome sound film is developed just as is silent by dwaynes in ks
ecktachrome sound is developed by a few labs for about $30 per roll in the US
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Ohhhh, ok. Good to have that option.

I think that the sound film could be nice for some purposes. However, there is an added cost (which is quite high) if you want to telecine and sync the sound on the strip. It's not a normal set up, so keep that in mind.

Also, I like to capture sound with my Zoom while I film and while I am NOT filming. I like to use audio from all sorts of moments, but that doesn't always mean that I was filming. I basically like to add b-roll on top of audio. It's a nice look.

If you're only capturing sound with the sound film, you are limited to sound that was only captured while filming. It's not so bad, but it's a work-flow issue to consider.

I think it'd be fun to shoot sound film and project it. That's basically the extent of what I could use it for but I may give you a shout one of these days for some of it. How long have you had it, and I assume it's been frozen?
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
dave

Post by dave »

I have 63 rolls of ELA 594 SOUND for sale @$25 per roll.This was the last batch kodak made in the late 90's .Film batch was tested by pps in plattsburg n.y. and has been frozen ever since
dave
reflex

Post by reflex »

dave wrote:I have 63 rolls of ELA 594 SOUND frozen in a block of permafrost with a wooly mammoth...
dave
We heard you the first three dozen times. Please don't spam the forum with ads for your film. Especially not twice in the same thread.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

dave wrote:I have 63 rolls of ELA 594 SOUND frozen in a block of permafrost with a wooly mammoth...
dave
HOW MUCH FOR THE WOOLY MAMMOTH? HOW MUCH WOULD INSURED SHIPPING BE TO LONDON, UK?
dave

Post by dave »

reflex wrote:
dave
We heard you the first three dozen times. Please don't spam the forum with ads for your film. Especially not twice in the same thread.
Obviously ,they don't call you reflex for lack of reasons. My first response corrected an error which stated that sound film was not processed any longer.The second post responded to questions raised by a subsequent post. Perhaps a pm would have been more appropriate.However It appears that you have nothing better to do .Why don't you contribute something positive rather than vent your frustrations .Did you have a rough day at the office or don't you work? :D :D :D
p.s. How many wooly mammoths would you like to buy ? :lol: :lol: :lol: