beaulieu MR8 lens mount

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tr0x

beaulieu MR8 lens mount

Post by tr0x »

Hi, what is the lens mount of the Beaulieu MR8/MCR8?
I mean: is it possible to use the d-mount lenses of my pocket bolex b8?
Thanks,

tr0x
Guy Bennett

Re: beaulieu MR8 lens mount

Post by Guy Bennett »

Well, according to the on-line manual at Marriott Cameras http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/instru ... ctures.htm, it takes C-mount lenses, but I could've sworn it took D-mounts. I've got a manual at home and will check it out. I'll report back if I find anything different.
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

I checked my MR8 manual, and it says that the camera takes D-mount lenses. It then gives the exact same mount specs as Marriott (15.8 mm. dia. - 32 threads/inch - normalized threading length not exceeding 3.8 mm.), so I suspect the info on the Marriott site is incorrect, a typo most likely.

Thinking of buying one of these cameras?
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

Guy Bennett wrote:Thinking of buying one of these cameras?
Yeah!
I think they're pretty nice and maybe one of the few regular8 cameras that have both a real reflex viewfinder and interchangeable lenses. I like also my leicinas a lot, but i think MR8 is a step further, at least imho :wink:
The only real complain is about the spring motor... not as nice as the electric one used by leicinas...
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Hi tr0x!

I also owned a Beaulieu MCR 8 and a G 8. Both have the international D-mount, 12,29 mm diameter. Often for available light shoots I used Switars f:1,4 and f:0,90 from my Bolex H 8 instead of my Angenieux-Zoom 1,8/6,5-52, and it was perfect.

The spring motor avoids all problems with weak batteries and buying themselves. If winding after every scene, I was always ready to shoot. And wonderful the possible re-winding of the complete film for tricks and the variable shutter!

Greetings from Vienna!

Herbert
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

My sweet MCR8 should arrive in a couple of weeks :lol:
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Well, keep us posted and let us know what you do with it.
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

Guy Bennett wrote:Well, keep us posted and let us know what you do with it.
The camera arrived just now!!!
Inside there's a roll of (probably) half-exposed K25... i've shooted the other half and in the next few days i'll send it to the lab :wink:
However i've noticed that my camera makes a loud noise when operated at 18fps... it seems strange to me, in fact the camera is quieter at 64fps 8O
mondo77

Post by mondo77 »

It shouldn't make any unusual noise. I own two. One is on the way out but it still runs and sounds smooth at all speeds. It's not particularly loud either.
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

mondo77 wrote:It shouldn't make any unusual noise. I own two. One is on the way out but it still runs and sounds smooth at all speeds. It's not particularly loud either.
I think that the frame counter is the problem, since there's no noise without the cover.