Anyone tried processing 16mm through Walmart?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MoonstruckProductions

Anyone tried processing 16mm through Walmart?

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

I have succesfully processed about 20 carts of E64T through Sams Club over the last 6 months. I was thinking about dropping a 100' roll of 100D 16mm and seeing if it would be processed accordingly. Has anyone else tried this? Since the only instructions I ever write are "Ektachrome Film Enclosed E6 Process (Dwayne's)" I would think they would at least deliver it to the right place. Any thoughts? (Except for Tim. I already know how you feel about Walmart. :) )

-Scott
Affordable HD Film Transfers
http://www.filmtransfer.us
TearsIntheRain

Re: Anyone tried processing 16mm through Walmart?

Post by TearsIntheRain »

Hate to respond to your question with another question...but is it more cost effective to develop 64T through Wal-Mart, as opposed to sending it directly to Dwayne's? And is it reliable? Tried searching the forum for previous discussins about this with no luck.
etimh

Post by etimh »

MoonstruckProductions wrote: (Except for Tim. I already know how you feel about Walmart. :) )
:D

Oh well, do what you gotta do.

Cheers.

Tim
reflex

Post by reflex »

We moved away from the big city about a year ago to a sleepy little place with a population of about 2,000. The nearest big town with large grocery stores is about 12 miles away. The only department store in town is Wal*Mart, and they're in the process of expanding it into a Wal*mart Supercenter.

They've basically wiped out any competition in the entire town. There is only one other shop where you can buy a kettle or a kid's booster seat - they've become the default shopping destination by default, and their expansion to include groceries will certainly have a massive impact on local chains.

I'm in no hurry to give them my hard earned money anymore.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
TearsIntheRain

Post by TearsIntheRain »

if its that bad, make a documentary about it :D

my hometown is 4 wal marts, two targets, and one best buy deep. i remember the targets being farmland, but the walmarts i grew up with.

I hate wal mart....but if its cost effective and reliable, Im willing to consider them as an option.
etimh

Post by etimh »

TearsIntheRain wrote:if its that bad, make a documentary about it...
Been done. Check out the trailer:

http://www.walmartmovie.com

TearsIntheRain wrote:...but if its cost effective and reliable, Im willing to consider them as an option.
Of course you are. :?

Tim
etimh

Post by etimh »

And if there is any more compelling reason than the Debbie Shank case...

Watch the CNN report about it here:

http://walmart.bravenewfilms.org/blog/3 ... d-employee

Simply horrific.

Tim
MoonstruckProductions

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

Well Tears,

I did notice that Dwayne's recently dropped the price a little on developing E64T down to $10 a cart. Not bad. But they still charge $4.00 return shipping for the first cart and $0.50 for each cart after. Sams Club charges $4.88 and shipping is free. So if you are only sending 1 cart you will save about $10. If you had 5 carts it would cost you $56 directly to Dwayne's and only $25 through Sam's Club. To me it is worth it to use Sam's Club.

About reliability, Walmart sucks. I tried the Walmart photo department twice and after 6 weeks of waiting, the film was returned to the store. They didn't understand what to do with it. Sam's Club has been perfect everytime. If I drop it off on Monday I will have it back the following Monday.

Looks like no one has tried the 16mm route so I guess I will be the first. I'll let you all know what happens.

-Scott
Affordable HD Film Transfers
http://www.filmtransfer.us
super8man

Post by super8man »

I think a deeper issue here is that even if walmart did NOT come to your area, you are still buying the SAME crap from the little stores. So, along comes the big bad boogie man store (in the old days it was Sears, Zellers, Woolco, JC Penny, etc) and you end up buying the same junk only from someone who sells it more cheaply. And I mean the EXACT same stuff (basically everything China exports). If this is the case, sign me up for buying it from the cheapest place, walmart, corner store, flea market (anyone notice how much BRAND NEW STUFF is being sold at flea markets lately???).

Now, if ma and pa store owner are selling something DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE (perhaps made locally), then I will begin to think about shedding a tear for their demise (but then people always SAY they want to support the little guy but NEVER EVER follow through on that with their pocket book). Like everyone who wants a rank transfer at walmart developing prices. Until then, they are simply fooling themselves thinking they can achieve economies of scale similar to that of the big bullies out there...it just is...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
reflex

Post by reflex »

super8man wrote:I think a deeper issue here is that even if walmart did NOT come to your area, you are still buying the SAME crap from the little stores. So, along comes the big bad boogie man store (in the old days it was Sears, Zellers, Woolco, JC Penny, etc) and you end up buying the same junk only from someone who sells it more cheaply.
Ahh, you've fallen into the same trap that most people do when they think of Wal-Mart. "They sell the same things for less," you say. But they don't. Even when they sell brand name products, Wal-Mart offers only lower-end products. Often, manufacturers produce special low cost versions of their lawn mowers, coffee makers and electric razors just so they can maintain a significant presence on Wal-Mart's shelves.

You won't find the same TVs on Wal-Mart's shelves as you will at Best Buy. Sure, Wal-Mart will have several Sony models, but they'll be their lowest quality "value" line, unless they have product closeouts to offer.

You should read the article about Snapper lawn mowers, who basically told Wal-Mart that they couldn't afford to sell their product through Wal-Mart because of the razor-thin margins and damage it did to their ability to sell higher quality products elsewhere.

Walk down the furniture aisle in Wal-Mart, and you're confronted with a sea of cheaply made junk that makes IKEA look like a boutique furniture store. You'll see the same strategy throughout the store.

You pay less at Wal-Mart because you're getting lower quality stuff -- even when it's made by a familiar brand. Somehow, people don't seem to have fully caught on to Wal-Mart's skillful brand erosion. I gladly shop at Canadian Tire, The Bay or Future Shop to get somewhat higher quality goods, although Wal-Mart's competitors are learning to play the same game.
www.retrothing.com
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

so, all this is great socio-ecomomic commentary. But, what I'd like answered is who does their processing? Who are the vendors that walmart, SAMs,costco use? I trust, much more, sending my film to a shop that does dailies and has some accountability for the results.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

adamgarner wrote:so, all this is great socio-ecomomic commentary. But, what I'd like answered is who does their processing? Who are the vendors that walmart, SAMs,costco use? I trust, much more, sending my film to a shop that does dailies and has some accountability for the results.
Why not contact your local Walmart, Sam's, Costco, etc. and ask them directly? They should be able to tell you.
etimh

Post by etimh »

reflex wrote:Ahh, you've fallen into the same trap that most people do when they think of Wal-Mart...
Great post reflex--excellent information. Thanks!

Tim
super8man

Post by super8man »

I disagree with Tim - you (reflex) did not read my WORDS...I said EXACT SAME CRAP...please don't presume to argue a strawman with the wrong facts... The fact is, Target, WalMart, Ma and Pa, and flea markets sell the exact same crap...for instance, HOT WHEELS...OK? Jeesh...there goes your argument down the drain.

If walmart sells cheaper quality items, then that is product differentiation and unfortunately to the folks who think they know better, people want CHEAP CRAP! They want video over film, mp3s at 128kps over vinyl or DVD music, etc, etc. And, apparently, they want youtube over dvds...

So, the bigger question is, why don't the rest jump on board? Dollar stores seem to thrive quite well even with a walmart around...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
reflex

Post by reflex »

Mike, sure, it's true that Wal-Mart often charges less for things like hot wheels cars and other common commodities, but they also offer a vast array of house brands (with no intermediate wholesaler) and most definitely don't offer the same quality electronics as Best Buy or the same quality garden tools as Home Depot.

Interestingly enough, Wal-Mart is sometimes more expensive. I went looking for a Logitech game pad last week and it was $35.83 at Wal-Mart, but only $29.95 at Best Buy.

It'll be interesting to find out if anyone has successfully processed 16mm through Wal-Mart, although I suspect it'll be much like Super 8 film - unpredictable from store to store and region to region.
www.retrothing.com