Close up on Canon 814 Autozoom

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

timhan

Post by timhan »

Cool will do!
flem

Post by flem »

wow, thanks mitch! sorry for doubting (fearing?) your technique. now i get it. and thanks for all your great ideas, i am going to try those too on my next roll of film!

flem
timhan

Macro close-up lens = f stop confusion!

Post by timhan »

Hi flem,
Just got back from a photography shop where I bought a great close-up lens called Hoya Filter Close-Up +2 58mm Pitch: 0.75.

It cost about 30 dollars for one lens (there are 3 with different focal lengths), but I just saw similar ones on eBay for 20 dollars for all three! Anyway, it was good to go to a professional who could show me one that fits and test them out anyway.

They screw on and off perfectly by the way, so there isn’t any need for concrete (phew!).

Now, I finally checked out the manual for the 814, and it says that there was actually 2 canon macro lens anyway (240 and 450), although I couldn't find it them on eBay.
flem

Post by flem »

that rules! i was planning on going to the camera shop as well for nd filter to comensate for too bright light. now i can take care of two things at once. thanks again!

flem
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

timhan wrote:By the way, it would be great to see your footage when it's ready!
I've finally had the rolls telecined.. I just remembered about this topic, so here it is:

http://www.g-trash.com/trixportugal.mov

the macro shot is starts at 1:38
timhan

Post by timhan »

Brrr! Portugal looks cold now. I was actually there for Christmas, were you in the North? The Algarve was quite warm when I was there.

The footage looks great by the way. The old boats came out really well.

How did you do the telecining, did you choose straight to mini DV?
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

I was there during new year.. This is around the peniche area, about an hour north of lisboa..

it wasn't too cold actually.. I was happy to be able to just wear a wetsuit and no gloves/boots/cap! Compared to holland the air/ocean was pretty warm!!

Telecine was with a flashscan to 8-bit uncompressed video..
timhan

Post by timhan »

Mine was done by flash scan too, but to miniDV. I wasn't too keen on the look as it came out very grainy, and your footage was noticeably clearer.

Did you use a lab in the Netherlands?
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Well, my uncompressed clip was indeed grainy, but after the conversion to H264 quicktime the grain appears to have smoothened out..

I figured the best possible quality to transfer was to tranfer to uncompressed progressive video on harddisk. If I wan't the image to be less grainy I can always apply some sort of blur filter over it, but not the other way around..

I'm really happy with the telecine, it was done by supersens in Amsterdam. I sat next to the guys when they did the telecine so I could give realtime input. I really liked that...