Crystal Motors for Arri 16-S, 16-M Available Again

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

clivetobin

Crystal Motors for Arri 16-S, 16-M Available Again

Post by clivetobin »

Hi,
By popular request we are making up another batch of the TCS TXM-22A crystal motors. As I write this, the first 5 have passed inspection and calibration. The remaining 20 will be finished soon also.

These have multiple crystal speeds, namely 12, 20, 24, 25, 30 and 40 FPS. An additional 50 FPS speed might be available if you use a freshly charged slightly higher voltage battery. There is also a 6 FPS speed that is not marked on the dial. This was omitted from the previous run of TXM-22A motors but I put it back in as it might be useful for something although it may exhibit some flicker, which is why it was eliminated from the previous model TXM-22. The speeds of 12, 20, 24, 30 and 40 FPS speeds are HMI and fluorescents safe for 60 Hz lights, while 20 and 25 (plus 50 if available) are safe for 50 Hz. The 6 and 50 speeds are not guaranteed to be available or usable.

The motor runs on 12 volts DC, using the normal power connections and run switch of the Arri camera. A Sync Alarm light shows if the selected speed is not being attained. There is a speed control socket for the now discontinued Tobin Milliframe Controllers. Current draw is about 1.2 amps in the Arri S and 1.8 amps in the Arri M. The motors are precision CNC machined from solid chunks of aluminum, are finished in Steel Grey baked powder coat, and install in the camera without tools.

The Arri 16mm cameras seem to be enjoying a resurgence of popularity, since a couple of companies claim to be offering Super-16 conversions of both the aperture and the viewfinder.

I am giving Filmshooting readers first chance at ordering these motors, and have not yet announced their availability on the website.
downix

Post by downix »

w00t!