C mount lens option f1.0

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Chris-B

C mount lens option f1.0

Post by Chris-B »

What do you think of this lens for a Beaulieu 4008, would it work?

I was interested in the F1.0 aperture for low light shooting, and the lens itself is small too (compared to the f1.2 lens that came with the 5008).

The Flange Back Length is 17.526mm (which is correct for a c mount lens?), but what is Back Focal Length? It is listed as 13.65mm.

Spec Sheet is here-
http://www.jknelectronics.com/page32.pdf

Someone else on this forum was using a Pentax C60607TH 6 mm, f1.2 C-Mount Lens on their camera that worked fine.

Any thoughts?
Chris.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

hi, have tried a couple of this type of lens, namely a 16 and 25mm, the lens wouldn't focus to infinity, also the test footage was no where as sharp, even close up as the 8-64 lens that i had on my late 4008.. Also optically, wide open the sharpness of the 25mm f1.3 cctv lens was very woolly around the edges....
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I saw in another post Yemi is using a Rainbow f1.0 8mm-48mm lens.
viewtopic.php?p=20788&sid=b819696ba2eba ... a2b6c4e87e

I'm just looking for a cheap (ish) option for a fast lens and thought a cctv lens might do the trick.

Any other options?
Or anyone had good results with any cctv lenses at all?

Chris.
clivetobin

Re: C mount lens option f1.0

Post by clivetobin »

Chris-B wrote:... but what is Back Focal Length? It is listed as 13.65mm.
This is the distance from the rear glass element (at infinity) to the image / film / CCD sensor plane.

Subtract this number from the flange focal distance, to see how far back everything like a prism or shutter needs to be from the lens seat, to not hit or be hit by the rear element.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Chris, just pm you. Say whats the cost of that 50mm f1.0 lens??... btw, if your not happy with your f1.2 lens on your 5008, i will gladly relieve of it :)
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Thanks for the info Clive.

So this would mean that if you know the back focal length, you can determine if the rear element of the lens would protrude passed the thread end of the lens itself (Am I getting this right?). If it does protrude it would be no good for a 4008zm, as there is no room passed the cameras c mount for the rear element to sit in.

On C60812 Pentax zoom lens (above) the distance between flange surface and thread end is 3.5mm (If I've read the diagram on the spec sheet correctly). So the rear element should not extend passed the thread end on this lens.

I'll have to get more info on the Beaulieu Super 8 c-mount, as I believe this differs from the usual c-mount spec, before I know for sure if it will work.

Also- Hi Andy

I don't have a 5008 or the f1.2 lens that came with it. I should have been more clear in my post sorry. I was just referring to the f1.2 that was originally issued with the 5008 model.

Happy Shooting!
Chris